Search Unity

Invasion - Multiplayer Zombie Survival Prototype

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamesPro, Aug 29, 2013.

1. JamesPro

JamesPro

Invasion is my entry into the Multiplayer Zombie Survival genera. Hopefully with out the issues that WarZ has run into though. To start with Players will host their own Servers on their own Hardware for this Prototype. The Prototype will be release followed by the Launch of a KickStarter Campaign in order to raise funds to complete this Project. The funds collected from a KickStarter Campaign will go toward the following:

- Paying World Designers to Develop a large Seamless world
    - Developing unique and Custom content (Audio, Models, Textures, ect)
    - Purchasing a uLink License and possible uPikko License
    - Renting Server Hardware to run the game on
    - Hiring extra Staff (Programmers, Web developers, Community Manager, PR Rep., and others)
    - Anything else that comes up.

Upon the Launch of the KickStarter Campaign I will release a full break down of expected expenses required to complete this project, a Business Plan so potential KickStarter Backers can see what my goals and plan to achieve those goals will be, and other documents.

The Current map for the Prototype is a highly modified version of one of the Demo Maps for the Autumn Asset Pack. I wanted a map that looked good but that demonstrated the kind of Vast landscapes and varied terrain types I was shooting for in this game.

One of the things I hate about DayZ is the fact that so many of the buildings are locked. In Invasion every building will be enter-able with something for loot inside even if it's just trash loot. In the Prototype the Majority of the Buildings you are able to go inside however since I currently don't have the varied assets required to allow players to enter every building I have had to settle for some closed buildings.

Current Key Features:
    - Item Spawns
    - Zombie AI
    - Day/Night Cycle
    - Seasons
    - Weather based on the current Seasons
    - Dynamically amounting snow

Future Features:
    - Modular Base Building
    - Crafting
    - Skills
    - Other MMO features.

- Release -

Server - Prototype v0.01
    Client - Prototype v0.01

- ScreenShots -
    $Invasion_Prototype5.jpg $Invasion_Prototype.jpg $Invasion_Prototype2.jpg $Invasion_Prototype3.jpg $Invasion_Prototype4.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. georetro

georetro

This looks ok but since it is a prototype I'll let you off ;P I like the idea but there are a lot of zombie games out there for example: DayZ, WarZ, Project Zomboid, Walking Dead Survival Instinct etc... What makes this game different to any other zombie game?

Side note: I like how you have explained what the fundraising money is going to be used for :) Apart from that keep up the good work. Try to develop more and publish some more screenshots and maybe do some update posts to intrigue the readers!

3. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Looks good for a start.

The thing I hated about Day-z (apart from everything - lol), was the whole mismatch in versions between server/client. Getting started took me a while to even get into a game... then finding out its a buggy POS. Biggest waste of money ever (buying arma2/etc)

4. JamesPro

JamesPro

Thanks guys. Invasion is going to focus more on Base Building. The Zombies are more there to make your life harder while going through the cities collecting resources for Crafting. In the final version they might actually be removed completely. I was planning on making the prototype single player so I could deal with Game Mechanics instead of Server architecture at this point. So I needed something for a popular Mob that the player could kill and I had the Zombie models, sounds, ect so I added them in.

The whole point of Invasion is that you collect resources, pick a location in the world where you want to build, and then you craft and build your base. Bandits (other players) then try to attack your base to plunder your goods and you fight them off...

5. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I like the idea, although a good implementation will be tough..

Assuming building a base takes some time, how are you going to manage it for offline players? Will online players be able to attack offline players bases, etc?

Would be annoyed if I logged out, came back a few hours later and my sweet fort had been taken over... Would also be annoyed if I logged on, and there were a bunch of forts I couldnt take over because the player was offline...

6. IcHoRELiTE

IcHoRELiTE

Is there still work being done on this project?