Search Unity

Introduction to Game Development with Unity

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by galent, Jul 22, 2014.

1. galent

galent

Hi All,

This September I'm offering my introduction to game development for youth online. This will be a live, online 10 week course starting Sept 15. Here's the high level information:
    • No previous experience required!
    • Being a course for kids, all students profiles are “invisible” to other students by default. Only the instructor can see who is in attendance
    • Voluntarily (pending parental approval), for those kids who want to collaborate, there will be virtual breakout rooms available. Kids can work collaboratively on improving projects they’ve worked on in class, or use them as a place to work together on their own projects
    • All sessions are recorded. Videos and materials are available to students at anytime
    • This course teaches the basics of video game development using the Unity 4 game engine. During the course kids will learn:
      • Basics of game design and game mechanics
      • How to use the Unity 4 IDE
      • Core Unity skills like:
        • Creating a new project
        • Importing assets
          • Custom and using the asset store
        • Creating prefabs
        • Basic physics usage
        • Basic scripting (I'll be using both javascript and C# examples, but students can use either)
        • Using sounds
        • Using the terrain engine
        • Image types and usage
        • and simple GUIs
        • How to build a game for deployment
    • Students can use a variety of internet connected devices to attend classes including:
      • Windows PC/laptop
      • Mac desktop/laptop
      • Apple iPad
      • or Android Tablet
    • Students require a Windows or Mac PC to use the Unity Game engine to work on projects
    For more information or to register please visit http://convolutioninc.com/courses

If you know anyone who might be interested please pass the link along.

If you have any suggestions on topics that you'd like to see covered please PM me!

Thanks,

Galen

2. T1Green

T1Green

Hmm...I got an advice instead of what I want to see.

If you are making it for kids then I think it would be nice for the kids if you could make the session so they are making a game. From the beginning to the end. The whole process. In that process you start with explaining how stuff works and how to use it and then add it to the game so they can see how the piece fits the puzzle.

Kids learn better this way when they can see that it's not an exercise they are doing but instead are having fun making stuff. It promotes their motivation to do it.

Hmmm...maybe add a how to install Unity? Or level design? Char and enemy stuff?

Otherwise, I think it's great you took this initiative to do something like this and I hope you succeed, I'll post the link a few places to promote between the kids I know.^^