Search Unity

Introducing Voxelform - voxel terrain (Marching Cubes) with real-time deformation.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mark-Davis, Jun 24, 2011.

1. kulesz

kulesz

Could you please post one or two screens, how do these shapes look like in Voxelform? I mean, the "blocky" ones, with sharp edges.

2. vanhouten777

vanhouten777

Sir,

How do we import Voxelform namespace into javascript script file and vice versa how do we import javascript file memeber variables and functions into c#?

Regards,
    vanhouten777.

3. dyox

dyox

Here's the video of my project TerraCorp , I use a highly modified version of voxelform.

4. theprojectabot

theprojectabot

5. theprojectabot

theprojectabot

Perhaps I am doing a divide by zero calculation in my geometery calcs? I found that I had a similar problem at the top of 3d cones I was making...

6. DivinityOne

DivinityOne

Is it just me or is http://voxelform.com down? I cant access it or find VoxelForm in the Unity store.

7. Lord_Pall

Lord_Pall

Okay I'm a little irritated.

Voxelform is down, fine. We're not getting the infinite terrain, fine.

But it's also missing from my download list from the asset store.

Not fine at all.

8. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

Mark warned us weeks in advance that he was discontinuing Voxelform. I made a backup when I saw the announcement.

Provided you didn't uninstall Unity or format your hard drive, you should find Voxelform in your Asset Store folder:
    /<username>/AppData/Roaming/Unity/Asset Store.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  9. Link_7

Link_7

Hi there,

Does anyone have Mark's personal email address?, as I would like to obtain a copy of voxelform but it is no longer on the asset store.

Thanks in advance

10. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Why is it being "discontinued"?

11. Link_7

Link_7

Here is what he said previously

12. dyox

dyox

Hi , i can continue marching cube framework if you need :
    Here my project from mc : (infinite terrain)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  13. Link_7

Link_7

Wow, What you have done with the framework looks amazing. It'd be great if you could continue the framework, I would also be willing to help continue it when and where possible but I'd need a copy of voxelform or your edit as I currently do not have a copy.

Best
    Joe

14. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

I worked on my own MC solution until Voxelform came out, so color me interested on continuing developement of such a framework. Does anyone have an idea of the legal implications of woking on and sharing the source of something related to (but not the direct copy of) a discontinued commercial project?

What I figure is that the IP, branding (i.e. the Voxelform name, icons, etc.) and the original untouched project are still copyrighted to their original author and a dumb copy-paste is out of the question without the author's explicit consent or waiving of their rights (Duh!). However the core components (the Marching Cubes algorhithm as well as the internal coroutine libraries) are a C# port of either public domain or open source libraries.

I contacted Unity's Asset Store team and Mark with the same question. Will post the answers when and if I get them.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  15. Aridfish

Aridfish

I to would also be interested interested in continuing this project, I think we may need to contact Mark to gain permission to continue this project. I'll be looking forward to see how far we can get with this.

Best
    Callum

16. ImogenPoot

ImogenPoot

I know... a law-suit ^^. Just because it is discontinued, doesn't make it any more legal. Well Microsoft discontinues Windows XP soon... Why not update it and publish it again under a different name :D. LOL

If the major portion was a public domain content, then this would be funny, because depending on the license it might be illegal to do so ^^, or he must hand out the port on request for free... But it might also be the case that the original code was licensed under MIT or something similar, in which case the code he produced can be protected. But most OpenSource projects are not that stupid. So I would be interested in knowing how for you guys, the license for the source code looks like and especially from which project it originated... I see some chance to get a free deal here :D, especially since I don't need all the Unity specific candy, just the port.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  17. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

That said, Voxelform's strength comes in part from the coroutine emulation library which is part of it. Also, the code is more heavily commented than a tutorial (I'll have to dig for this but there was a comment about the code being useable as a tutorial for this purpose). I also built my own MC-based system (ported from Paul bourque's C++ code), albeit nowhere as evolved as Mark's, before Voxelform was published: the core algorhithm has been around for almost twenty years.

Using the minecraft-esque infinite terrain generator found in this thread alongside a simplified MC rendering of the final output may yield faster (and less legally-murky) results, more oriented towards the intended goal.

18. Aridfish

Aridfish

I have tried to get in touch with Mark to see about gaining a copy of voxelform as it is no longer on the asset store however, I still have not heard from him. Does anyone have any contact details for Mark?

19. l0cke

l0cke

Well, this is typical for any 3rd party plugin. You can never ever rely on them, bacause after some time each author will find out, that he have to support dozens of people for free and price for initial purchase was very low, because more expensive products cant be sold in this community. So what happens? After some time he will give up. It happen to many great plugins and it will continue to happen. And you cant blame developers of these plugins.

20. ImogenPoot

ImogenPoot

Then they are just plain stupid. What in hell would prevent you from recharging money for a new major version? NOTHING! If people want regular updates, they have to pay regularly. If they don't want to pay, they don't deserve the asset. That's it...

I would rather suspect that the WHOLE thing doesn't pay off, because there is only a very limited market to something like Voxelform.

21. runonthespot

runonthespot

Doesn't matter if the algorithm is public domain, it's down to the implementation, and I suspect Mark's implementation of marching cubes, while probably relying somewhat on reading and understanding others, is his own. He seemed to indicate that he's continuing with this but at a much higher/ more expensive commercial product. Is it not still available to purchase on the asset store?

22. vdharshan

vdharshan

Can someone help on how to convert a OBJ model to voxelform voxel format ? please ?

All I want to make is a single hard edged rock model!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  23. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Meh...I haven't given up on any of my utilities, and can't see doing so. I had some interest in doing a voxel terrain system a while ago, and might still do that at some point.

--Eric

24. Micha-Stettler

Micha-Stettler

It's not that bad if you have bought the source code, so you can always fix bugs or extend it by yourself.

25. LoadedGames

LoadedGames

I cannot find this anywhere on the asset store! Please help

26. dyox

dyox

New Video of TerraCorp Marching Cube (Load optimization and calculation of the marching cubes) :

27. xTroMx

xTroMx

can you show digging holes and finding caves?

28. dyox

dyox

There are yet no cellar, and the level below the ground. For now there are simply caves in the mountains. The development of the biome is still ongoing.

29. DRServices

DRServices

I've been working on my own voxel editor for quite some time.
    Then, a friend directed me to Voxelform, which I planned on purchasing as soon as I could finish up a few other things from my project.
    When I finally go to the asset store to purchase it, to my surprise, the asset was removed.

I was wondering if there was a way to purchase this asset directly from the creator? I'm aware that there are quite a few bugs in the script, but all bugs can be worked out with some minor edits. At least, most of the time they can.

I'd be willing to pay nearly any price for this asset, as it is a very important part of the project that I am designing.

Thanks, and I really do hope to be able to secure this asset.

30. gaweph

gaweph

I am also in the same boat, was very intersted in the voxelform asset. Am still very interested, even with no more support for any bugs found, I would be willing to use as is and fix any problems myself.

Pm me if this is possible (purchasing the asset that is).

31. Wonkavee

Wonkavee

And I know this is the noobiest of nooby questions, as I have just gotten into c++ from java and html5. But, may I ask: How do I even use voxelform as a game developer? I mean, I've figured out everthing (I think) you can do with the GUI. I know how to create a new terrain, but how do I create a random terrain using the thing?

Thanks in advance and sorry about my question, you got to start somewhere.

PS I would just like an answer. Not some sort of "You got to do this tutorial and work up" I've done a lot of tutorials. Just an answer if you can, please.

32. Nyo

Nyo

So no chances to "resurrect" this tool? :D

33. bruce965

bruce965

What about releasing the source code as free domain?
    I really like your work and I see this has been a fantastic tool even if I discovered it only a few hours ago...
    Thanks.

34. dyox

dyox

35. vanhouten777

vanhouten777

Sir,

The functions

function OnControllerColliderHit(hit: ControllerColliderHit)
    function OnCollisionEnter(theCollision : Collision)

function OnCollisionEnter(theCollision : Collision)
    {
    VFVoxelInteractionGameObject=GameObject.Find("Voxe l Interaction");
    //if(theCollision.gameObject.tag==VFVoxelInteraction GameObject.tag)
    //{
    // Check if the collider we hit has a rigidbody
    // Then apply the force
    //var LeastDistance888 : float;
    //LeastDistance888=777;
    HasTheAntCollided888=true;
    //var CurrentDistance : Vector3;
    //var LeastDistantContactPoint888 : ContactPoint;
    //var ThisAntCollisionComponent888 : Collision;

//ThisAntCollisionComponent888 = gameObject.GetComponent(Collision);
    for (var contact : ContactPoint in theCollision.contacts)
    {
    CurrentDistance = contact.point - transform.position;
    DotProductVect1=contact.normal;
    DotProductVect2=PreviousFrameCurrentDirectionOfUp;
    DotProduct();
    if(DotProductOutput>=0.0)
    {
    if(CurrentDistance.magnitude<LeastDistance888)
    {
    LeastDistantContactPoint888 = contact;
    LeastDistance888 = CurrentDistance.magnitude;
    grounded=true;
    CurrentDirectionOfUp = LeastDistantContactPoint888.normal;
    }
    }

are not working.

I copied the "Voxelform" directory which was in the "Assets" directory into "Standard Assets" directory in "Assets" directory for proper compilation and renamed all the cs file extensions outside the Standard Directory in the "Voxelform" directory to something else , so that there won't be double compilation. But the charcters are not colliding with the voxel terrain.

Regards,
    vanhouten777.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  36. vanhouten777

vanhouten777

In the function

void Start()
    {
    GameObject VoxelTerrainGameObject;

VoxelTerrainGameObject = GameObject.Find("Realistic Ant Farm Voxel Terrain1");
    _terrain = VoxelTerrainGameObject.GetComponent<VFVoxelTerrain>();
    //terrain.n

if (_terrain == null)
    {
    Debug.LogError("VFVoxelInteraction Voxel Terrain property must be set.");
    return;
    }

_materialPalette = _terrain._materialPalette;

// Used in an example demo, but not required.
    _paletteObjects = GameObject.Find("Palette Objects");
    var paletteObject0 = GameObject.Find("Palette Object");

if ((_paletteObjects != null) (paletteObject0 != null))
    {
    _materialObjects = new GameObject[_materialPalette._materials.Length];

for (int i = 0; i < _materialObjects.Length; ++i)
    {
    _materialObjects = (i == 0) ? paletteObject0 : (GameObject)Instantiate(paletteObject0);
    _materialObjects.renderer.material = _materialPalette._materials;
    _materialObjects.transform.parent = _paletteObjects.transform;
    _materialObjects.transform.localPosition = new Vector3(i * .2f, -.5f, 1f);
    float scale = 1f / (Mathf.Abs(_materialObjects.transform.position.x * .25f) + .01f);
    _materialObjects.transform.localScale = new Vector3(scale, scale, scale);
    }
    }

}
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    //
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I added the lines

GameObject VoxelTerrainGameObject;

VoxelTerrainGameObject = GameObject.Find("Realistic Ant Farm Voxel Terrain1");
    _terrain = VoxelTerrainGameObject.GetComponent<VFVoxelTerrain>();

it is compiling correctly , how do I make collision detection work correctly.

Regards,
    vanhouten777.

37. vanhouten777

vanhouten777

Sir,

I am getting this error

Ignore collision failed. Both colliders need to be activated when calling this IgnoreCollision
    UnityEngine.Physics:IgnoreCollision(Collider, Collider, Boolean)
    AntWalkerScript:Start() (at Assets/Scripts/AntWalkerScript.js:4097)

How come, there is a check mark on the colliders which comes on when adding the collider component, what does it mean by activate the collider?
    Regards,
    vanhouten777.

38. vanhouten777

vanhouten777

Sir,

Should I add a collider to the voxel terrain game object, if so what type of collider?

Regards,
    vanhouten777.

39. Wonkavee

Wonkavee

Please answer. I really need to know.

40. nuverian

nuverian

I am considering this plugin. Is it dead or not?
    Im reading some errors in the thread. Doesn't it work with 3.5?
    Thanks

41. Builder_Joe

Builder_Joe

According to the last two pages this thing is completely dead. If you purchased it before it was pulled from the store, then you have to email the author directly. Posting in this forum will not help, as he does not visit. He claims to be working on a much larger tool, but after the support with this version, I cannot see many trusting a different version.

nuverian - It was pulled from the store some time ago, and is not sold anywhere.