Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing Retroformer!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Paradigm-SW, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Thanks! ^^
    You can use both as of v0.0.4 :)

2. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

Just wondering if you guys, from the beginning, wanted to make a puzzle game and stick with it? What was the plan and where do you want to go from now on?

3. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

The plan was a non-combat platformer, and we've ended up building on that to really reinforce some of the puzzle elements in game. These will be more prominent with the addition of more blocks, but we've got some that will add some core platforming gameplay as well. We're aiming for a hybrid now, since both types of level are very possible.

4. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

Ok so platforming and puzzle.

So far, it seems like most of the gameplay revolves around platforming.
    Puzzle elements being how to get the key and where is the door.

Other elements you kind of just deal with them (push blocks, water, spikes) feel more like hazard elements.

In other games like Super Meat Boy, you've got precision jumping and timing... in games like MMMM or VVVV you deal with gravity changes... I think you guys should find a unique element that will identify your game, differenciate it from others.

What would this element be?
    Image-based level creation is pretty damn unique, but what about the game itself?
    You know... what will be the gameplay element that will make your game stand out?

MQ

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  5. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

I
    We'll have a think - originally it was going to be the png import thing :)

6. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

Brainstorm food for thoughts...

What are games like Super Metroid, Castlevania, Super Meat Boy, vvvvvv, Kirby, Mario Bros, Zelda, Fez... teaching you about what makes a great game and what unique element made these games super popular and beloved?

What you guys have done so far is awesome, really, but most people aren't impressed with technical stuff, they're looking for "that thing" that make them tell their friends about a game.

"Many upgrades, it's crazy! I can't stop playing, I must find the princess because she will allow me to walk through walls!!"
    "I still haven't found all the secret rooms but working on it. Some are only reachable if you grab a red gem and walk near their secret entrance."
    "Yeah, it's like metroid and super mario on fire!!"
    "I can't get past level 6 because I can't find the key!" - "Just blow up the wall using a bomb and you can get in the workshop. Then use 1 gold and the key mold you found and make yourself a key for the door."

See what I mean?

Find the soul of the game and the people will find your game. :)
    Right now, I still believe the game is too young to be ready for the big world. Any attempt to make it look like more than pre-alpha is not a good idea imo.

You guys got something playable and some content, you put a lot of work in it, but it's still not a product worth selling.
    It's too early.

Wait until you got a more robust game then everything will fall into place and work out better.

Again, I'm here to help you in that regard.
    You know that I can see the potential, because there is a lot of it in the game, and that I am willing to spend time to make RetroFormer an awesome and unique game. :)

MQ

7. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

New block ideas:

- I've mentioned it quite a few times, but a simple bomb you can place by pressing down that would destroy a certain type of blocks (rock-like) would be nice. You can find bombs stashes here and there throughout a level. If you see a wall made of rocks and haven't found any bomb, time to do some back tracking! :)

- Ice block: it slides so be careful not to fall into pits or lava. Can make you walk faster so it can allow you to jump much further with sliding momentum.

- Magnetic block: if you need to get past an obstacle on the ground and you see some magnets on the ceiling, well, just jump high enough so the magnets catch you, walk on the ceiling past the obstacle and jump again to land on the ground or just walk on any other type of block on the ceiling to dettach.

- Shrink block: you step on it, you shrink, step on it again and you get back to your normal size. Useful to get in narrow spaces. (only 2 narrow hole blocks type, 1 horizontal and 1 vertical) Half the jump height, but same abilities, so the player won't want to stay small all the time because of jump height restriction.

That's all I got for now.

Note: I remember suggesting that the editor icons could be smaller. I just thought about small touch screen devices and then I thought about the fact that blocks are small once placed in the level so it's good and bad.
    You guys will probably be forced to make a different interface for PC/iPad and for Ipods and Android phones.
    If you didn't want to go the custom interface way for each of these devices, then I suggest making all icons on screen as big as the blocks on the left in the editor. Once you actually play the game, then it can go back to normal size. Kind of a way to future proof your game. :)

Cheers,

MQ

8. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Awesome ideas! We've got a lot of stuff planned to add, so keep an eye out. We've got texture atlases coming out soon to make custom texture packs!

9. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

10. rhasami

rhasami

looks boring
    can you make better artwork?

Thank you

11. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

The artwork is in progress, a lot of it is placeholder stuff :p

12. DavidDebnar

DavidDebnar

Boring? Ha. This game is in development for 2.5 weeks and the last update is about a week old, which means that the game you might have tried was developed in something less then 2 weeks...I am sorry, but a game with in game editor and level export is all we could do in 2 weeks from scratch. And, as mentioned, a lot of it is just placeholder before I finish coding the core for the level texturing.

13. rhasami

rhasami

I am sorry to make you angry. I thought the game more then one year developed because more then hundred posts.
    You make 100 posts in two weeks? I don't understand? Why posting if only boring things to show?

14. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

We've worked on a couple of projects before this one, the post count hasn't been going for two weeks... This account is a bit older than that. Again, much of the art is in progress and we've got a lot of features planned that are related to that, so hopefully you'll like them more in a week or two :)

Also, lots have been made on this thread.

15. Ocid

Ocid

Boring is subjective. If you'd even taken a quick glance through the thread you'd have seen he was talking with another guy or even looking at the date of the op.

I like the idea aswell as the graphical style. Rather than just stating its boring or can you make better artwork. Why not say why you didn't like it or say what you don't like art.

16. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Thanks - means a lot!

17. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

18. rhasami

rhasami

Ohh, very nice, not boring. Sorry for say boring before.

19. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Hm, sarcasm? Pardon me.

20. rhasami

rhasami

I did not know "boring" is a bad word. I am sorry.

21. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Apology accepted, I guess... Now go make an awesome level :3 Post results.

22. rhasami

rhasami

I am not make a level. I program. Or what do you mean?

23. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Use the in game editor!

24. rhasami

rhasami

Thank you. I like MonoDevelop more.

25. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

er, what? Have you even read the OP? You can create levels in the game.

26. rhasami

rhasami

Dont understand. Maybe missunderstanding, I am sorry.

27. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Ok, to play this game you have to make a level. You can do this in Paint, Photoshop, or something like that or use an editor that we've made in the game to create a level.

28. LucasDaltro

LucasDaltro

Oh my Gosh!This game is so...funny!!!!

29. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

In a good way? :D

30. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

So, what's new, folks?

Have you finalized the gameplay, or added some new features?

I realized the other day that your spikes look exactly like those in vvvvvv. A direct source of inspiration?

Can't wait to play a new build... and I'm still willing to comment and help out. :)

MQ

31. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

We're working on a checkpoint system at the moment, but I believe David's got a lot of other work to do too so apologies if it's a bit late. We've got a large shortlist of different blocks and we'll be implementing them shortly!

~Ben

32. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

33. DavidDebnar

DavidDebnar

Thanks! We love that you are trying to help with constructive criticism :). And yes, the spikes are a direct inspiration from vvvvvv, but as a lot of the other art, it's just a placeholder. Altrough I would still want to keep the shape of the spike.

I feel sarcasm. But it may be just me being pathethic.

Why do I have the feeling that it's not a misunderstanding, buy you just refuse to understand instead. I am sorry I for my previous reply, but I really had a hard day and it was late, so even a little negative comment made my nerves explode.

Yes, it is when you don't add any constructive arguments to support the statement. People shouldn't just blame each other without a reason - I am not saying they don't.

Once again, thanks! I love the magnetic block idea, it's weird we didn't think of it before. We will be implementing the ice blocks and bombs soon, I first have to finish some important scripts to improve the overall look of the game and avoid some graphical glitches. About the shrink block idea - we will have to consult that first, because it may be an impact on some of the other scripts.

First of all, you should check the OP (the start of the thread, the first comment etc.) and not just jump to the last page, what I suppose you did. And yes, we did make all those posts, because we tried to reply on all the suggestions, criticism, etc.

--

I am sorry for the long comment, but I wanted to reply on some of the suggestions and comments from the last few days, because I didn't have time before.

-- David

34. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

Thanks for the updates, guys.
    Can't wait to try the next version.

About some criticism you guys got from other users...
    Some of these people are from other countries so their english might be a bit dodgy.

I learned throughout the years to be more patient and understanding on these forums.
    It helps keeping people focused on your game... on the subject.

Anyways keep up the good work guys!

MQ

35. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Thanks, I try.

I've found a long list of bugs and we've got a couple of new mechanics lined up for the next update, which should be this week or next (David has some things to sort out).

At the moment we're really pushing for publicity not only to get our game and name known but to try to raise some funding to startup the group as a proper company. If you know of any way we can do this, or have any contacts or links, please let me know :)

~Ben

36. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

If there is 1 advice I could give you it's to take the time it takes to do everything in the right order... and complete every round of the evolution of your game.

In order to raise funds for your game you need to have something to sell something that looks nice and something that plays nice.
    As you guys already know these forums are the best test chamber to do that to get to the point where your game is gonna be a real complete and sellable product.

A mature product.

Retroformer, last time I played it, was like a teenager boy: all about fun full of potential but missing the identity that special thing that makes it unique.

I would work my way up to getting this game into adulthood then I would start thinking about raising money and finding ways to market the product and everything.

As much as I'd like to have frequent updates about your game I think it's a good thing that you have slow down the pace.
    Bigger punchier updates but less frequently work the best.

You will make a name for yourself when you'll release an undeniably awesome version of your game. :)
    Until then I'm right here whenever you need help getting to that point from the testing to the marketing of your game if need be.

MQ

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  37. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Ok, thanks. It's just that we've just rolled out a lot of new stuff (website, Facebook page, etc) and want to get it noticed. I've taken out a few days of Facebook adverts to try and get the name out a bit. But I agree, perhaps it needs to be a bit more developed first.

38. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Dropping in to confirm that this is still very much going...

...but the programmer's on holiday for a week.

Normal service of frequent updates and feedback will resume this weekend / next week.

39. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Meet Frank!

40. DavidDebnar

DavidDebnar

The new animation system along some other features will be released in the next version. I hope to finish it until the end of this week, or until the end of the next week if needed.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  41. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

We've sorted out logo, and are working on making it animated for the main menu at the moment.
    There'll be an update soon, we're working on lots of stuff!

42. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

And one animated logo later:

43. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

We are planning on putting Retroformer into alpha on or before 25th June.

44. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Sorry for the lack of recent updates, but rest assured we are working hard on Retroformer!

Recently we've been tweaking and recoding some of the underlying systems behind the game's features, partly to optimise and partly to make way for new features we have planned. In any case there wasn't any visible difference from upgrading to the next build so we refrained from posting an update to a game that basically plays the same.

We are getting close to being ready to release our alpha build.

In the mean time, I have a couple of things to share with you;

First, I've been experimenting with UI for Retroformer (this is still being worked on, but you can see the direction it's taking)

And secondly, SpiderByte has very kindly agreed to do the music for Retroformer, and you can see the first of his tracks below.

Link to the theme for those on a mobile device.

~Ben