Search Unity

Introducing Navi: A New Open-Source VR Input Innovation using your smart phone or tablet

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by VMohan, Sep 2, 2015.

1. VMohan

VMohan

This is my first time posting in these forums and I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but here we go:

Navi is an app written in Unity that you download onto your smartphone that converts it into a controller for virtual reality applications. Using your Android smart phone or tablet, you can use rotation and touch input to interact with the virtual reality environment. Download the app at:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navi.io

I am open sourcing the code to create a community around this input solution and I would love to get feedback and contributions from this community. Here is a link to the github repo:

https://github.com/vmohan7/Navi

The README has a small walkthrough on how to get started as well as links to demos that I have created. Check out the demos to see how to use it. I am also going to be putting up a short video in the next few days to showcase how it works.

adamhill likes this.
  2. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

You are definitely on-topic.

Looks interesting. Two questions: (1) Does your code support connecting to PC or other devices out of the box? (2) Have you tested what minimum latency you're able to squeeze out of this?

VMohan likes this.
  3. VMohan

VMohan

Thanks, good to know!

1. SInce it is built using the Unity 5 Transport Layer, the code should support connecting to any device that has a Wi-Fi card, which includes other mobile devices as well.

2. I have not tested the minimum latency, but that is a statistic that would be nice to have. Do you have any recommendations for going about that?

4. VMohan

VMohan

Quick update: I released a video on how to use it. Hopefully, this gives people a better picture of what this project can do

WendelinReich likes this.
  5. VMohan

VMohan

For those interested, I uploaded a new video for Navi using Google Cardboard: