Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[UPDATED] Amplify Motion - Quality vector based motion blur

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Attention, Amplify Motion has been discontinued. The plugin will be available soon for the entire Unity Community. Thank you for all your support, it's been one incredible ride!

Amplify Motion is an industry proven, complete and fast full-scene vector based motion blur effect that works with all opaque and coverage/alpha-test surfaces. It supports both stationary and moving objects as well as Skinned, Cloth meshes and non-transparent particle systems.
    Capable of handling all translation and rotation on cameras or dynamic objects with efficient per-pixel vector accuracy and high-performance, even when dealing with large amounts of skinned meshes or physics based assets. Maintained and optimized for Desktops, Consoles and Mobile devices.

Manual
    What does Firewatch, Wasteland 2, Ghost of a Tale, The Forest, Road Redemption, p.a.m.e.l.a., Survive the Distance, Death Race, Power Drive 2000 or Verdun to name a few have in common? Visit our Customer Showcase and Product Page to find out.

Amplify Motion Overview

Features:
    • Full-scene quality vector based Motion Blur
    • Instant results, drag & drop, no coding required
    • High-performance and Mobile-ready
    • Camera and moving objects
    • Skinned and cloth meshes
    • Variable quality steps
    • Soft edge bleeding
    • Complete source code
    • For Desktops, Consoles & Mobile Devices
    • WebGL and Windows Store support
    • NEW! Basic Particle support
    • NEW! HDR support
    • NEW! GPU-based deformation; order of magnitude improvement
    • NEW! Massively improved runtime performance
    • NEW! "Optimize Game Objects" rig support
    • NEW! XboxOne and PS4 support

Quick Start Tutorial

Intermediate Concepts

Be sure to contact us if you run into any problems or if you have any questions regarding our products, we would be happy to help. You are all premium users to us, stay in touch, we would love to hear more about your work.​

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Release Notes - Amplify Motion 1.2.2

• Fixed broken Lens Flare effects compatiblity
    • Fixed crash when 'Optimize Game Object' Rig import setting is enabled; this feature is *not yet supported*
    • Fixed aspect ratio problems in screenshot capture using camera.Render(); cam must be disabled
    • Fixed motion blur outlining issues when using hardware MSAA
    • Fixed SkinnedState initialization check when instantiating a new camera
    • Fixed invalid motion vectors on first frame or last frame on LoadScene
    • Fixed out-of-sync motion in Skinned and Cloth meshes
    • Fixed rounding mismatch when reading screen dimensions from camera
    • Added object Unregister functions
    • Improved threaded code fault tolerance

3. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

That's great Ricardo

4. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Enjoy ;)

Pretty soon we will make some new additions to Amplify Motion, stay tuned via Twitter.

5. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

I purchased your asset today, and tried it out in my current project.... now I have a big problem: The motion blur effect works as advertised, with one exception: The vehicle the camera is following, which the camera is attached to also gets blurred, even though it does not move compared to the camera.

How do I prevent this?

Regards

Gian-Reto

6. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Thank you for your purchase! Please be assured that we'll do our best to fix all issues you might be having.

Can you check if the vehicle has a AmplifyMotionObject script attached? If not, please add it manually to the root and enable "Apply To Children". We had at least one previous report that some objects were being skipped.

If this is the reason, please let us know and we'll have an in-depth look at mesh auto detection.

Kind regards

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  7. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Yes this is what l tried ... did not work

My Vehicle Game Object is a very complex Object with lots of children though, but I Attached it to the parent container

Also I have the problem that my current project is a split screen game with 2 active cameras so I have doubts that this solution is working for me

for some reason I was not able to open the scripts in mono develop ... are they closed-source? Or should I be able to open them?

thanks

Gian-Reto

8. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Complex objects shouldn't be a problem.

We support multiple cameras. All you need to do is add the effect to both.

We're closed source at the moment, albeit available to fix any outstanding issues as quickly as possible. Please get in touch with us to support@amplify.pt if you're willing to provide a sample scene/project. We can sign a non-disclosure agreement, if necessary.

9. Becoming

Becoming

Do you also support multiple cameras which are stacked for drawing distance reasons(flightsims)?
    The Unity Motion Blur effect has problems with our camera following the rigidbody airplane... somehow strangely jumping around. I think we tried the demo of easyflow a while back but it had the same problem. Ayn ideas what could be the cause of this? Well' i think we need to check the new demo again i think :)

Edit: I tried the "try before buy demo" now and it works better, on the animated camera there is still some strange jumping and also some bluring while the camera is not moving but in game it works much better now. Though there is one thing that is a bit annoying in our case. It blurs the scenery regardless of distance. So also far away things are blurred the same amount as close things . it would look a lot better and much more realistic if the effect would be less strong in the distance(for forward motion only of course, for rotating the camera its all perfect), especially for racing games and flightsims this would make a huge difference.

Am i doing something wrong? Is this not possible for technical reasons? Also, if possible, wouuld you consider to build in this feature?

Edit2: The distance issue described above seems only to come from using 2 cameras layered on top of each other. We have a near and a far camera. When i use only one it looks great but thats not practical in our case because we need higher view distance than the zbuffer can handle.

The Motion Blur effect is really good i have to say!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  10. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Thank you for testing! It's great to have all kinds of different test cases.

We support multiple cameras rendering to different targets separately or the same target using the AM Overlay Camera feature:

It basically allows you to have different fov/depth-range for up close objects, like an FPS weapon, which could be applicable to your case. All you need to do is assign the second camera to the Overlay Camera list of the first one. Only the main/primary camera will have the AM effect applied.

I'd really love to get that specific case working. We're going to great lengths to make it as robust as possible.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  11. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

I tried again, the object script does indeed not work both on my vehicle container, and also not on the contained gameobject which holds all the graphical meshes (and some other stuff too).

My current game project itself is too large to send, But I will see if I can create a smaller project to test again and send this.

Also, if you say you support multiple cameras: how does each camera know which object to blur and which not to? Vehicle 1 should not be blurred in camera 1, but vehicle 2 should be (as long as does not move at the same speed as the first vehicle in the same direction... can your script pick this up somehow?), and vice versa for the second cam.

EDIT:

Did some more testing. I added the object script directly to the gameobject containing the mesh, switching off the "apply to children" setting... did not help. I also played around with the "auto register objs" option on the imageeffect script... and found something rather interesting:

When "auto register objs" is on (without adding the obj script to anything), of my 12 graphical meshes one is picked up and excluded from the blur. For some reason, the cannon mesh is not blurred, while all other meshes belonging to the same vehicle are blurred like everything else.... why is that?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  12. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello everyone,

We have finally launched our automated payment and delivery service, combined with automated downloads for product updates. After your purchase, you no longer have to wait for a build to be delivered.

Our system will ensure that the latest full build will always be made available through a temporary download link. After the link expires, or a new product update is released, you’ll be able to update your product simply by providing one of your product keys in the download page, in order to unlock your downloads.

We’ll be sending out Product Keys to all existing customers. Please contact us if you haven’t received your keys before 23rd of December 2013.

Amplify Creations Products Page

For more information, check out our brand new Download Page

Your invoice/purchase ID is personal and should not be shared with unauthorised personnel, keep it safe at all times. If you experience any technical issues with the automated system contact us directly at support@amplify.pt.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  13. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks a lot for the reply, i will fiddle around with it and see if i can get it to work! Its great to see that you are interested to get also those special cases to work. I definitely want to use amplify motion, it really looks great in your demos and i am looking since a long time to get proper motion blur into our project.

I'll come back and give further feedback.

14. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

This would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

They are blurred according to their relative to each camera.

Is the cannon mesh on a layer that is being excluded by the AM effect's culling mask?

We definitely do. Thanks for taking the time.

15. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Will take me some time, might be able to do that over the weekend

does that mean blurred according to motion relative to the camera? So if its stationary to the camera, no blur, if its moving a little bit relativ to the camera little bit of blur, if its much faster a lot of blur?

Its on the same layer as all the other graphical meshes... and there has been no culling mask applied (or to word it better, it has been set to "Everything")

What I found out is that there are other parts of the mesh excluded from the blur... the Vehicle also has an MG Mesh, which also is not blurred. And some other meshes are also excluded.
    EDIT: just noticed something - all the meshes picked up are using bumped diffuse shaded (some with emissive), while most of the others are using bumped specular shaders (again some with emissive). Could this have any influence?

16. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

It means that if the camera is moving and the object is not, or if the object is moving and the camera is not, it'll get blurred. If it moves with the camera, it doesn't get blurred. Motion is computed in camera screen space.

I don't think it has anything to do. I guess I'll have to check it out.

If you help us out by providing the test scene and let us solve these bugs we'd gladly provide you with a promocode as compensation for your effort :)

17. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Hmm... played around on my own a little bit, changing the gun shader to emissive specular bumped.... it still gets excluded from the blur, so its not just the shader.

I will definitely create a testscene over the weekend to help you sort this out.

EDIT:
    I created a small test scene with just the bare minimum in it to test the ImageEffect on my Vehicle... and lo and behold, everything works fine.

I will now import and activate the additional components and objects one by one to find out what exactly triggered the ImageEffect to malfunction. I will update you here as soon as I know more.

EDIT 2:

Okay, I am pretty much done with importing 75% of the packages I use in my main project to my little test project... now its not little anymore. Still, the Amplify Motion Effect works like a charm there. I don't seem to be able to break it!
    On the other hand, in my main project I still have the same old problem. Nothing I deactivate has an effect. It seems like the whole thing is just broken for some reason. What I will still try is to completly wipe Amplify Motion from my main project, and Install again... but after that I ran out of ideas.

Sadly there is little I can send you apart from my 4GB main project to analyse as I cannot reproduce the problem... do you have any idea yet what could cause it?

EDIT 3:

I completly wiped and reinstalled Amplify Motion... did not help at all.

I tried DX9 and 11, forward and deferred (I normally use DX11 and deferred for testing), I switched on and off almost all the components I use in this project, and made sure all the other motion blurs I tested before this ones are either deactivated or removed from all the cameras... there are still some components I did not test yet, but its only the unlikely canditates left.

So besides me not being too eager to transfer my project in its early prototype stage to someone else (its a mess inside :) ), I guess 4 GB are hard to transfer anyway, even compressed. Besides, there are tons of other packages bought from the asset store used in it that might violate terms of use if they get transferred, so I am a little bit relucant to do so.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  18. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

After weeks of trying to get rid of my problem or at least reproduce it in a separate project I could not ifx it at all.

All I can offer is an export of my main project (2.7G, and my Unity crashes on import), if you think that this might help I could provide it to you, I assume you will treat its contents confidential (both my own work and contained assets from other parties) and delete after you found the problem?

Have you got anymore ideas what I still could try to get it to work? The interesting thing is: If the AmplifyMotionObject Script on my Gameobject is activated or not does not change a thing. I get the same results when the Script is deactivated.

Any help would be great... I am literally pulling my hair out here :/

Gian-Reto

19. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hi gian,

I apologize but I completely missed these last two messages. I just received a notification just today.. I don't think forum notifications are working properly.

We recently fixed an issue that might be related, please try this one out:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14079608/AmplifyMotionTrial_123b.unitypackage

If this one doesn't work I will personally download your project and debug it until I fix the issue, and obviously delete it once I'm done. We're also available to sign any NDA you might require in order to safeguard your copyright.

In the future, in urgent cases, might be quicker to get in touch via email to support@amplify.pt or our community forum for quicker responses. Please include your invoice number if you're a customer.

We'll do our absolute best to get this fixed.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  20. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Hi

Thanks for the answer... I downloaded the version and will try it out... but before I import it, one question: Shall I remove Amplify Motion before I do that? I am never sure if overwriting is a good idea.

A NDA will not be necessary... I am more afraid that I might violate some Asset Store Terms, or that you will have a hard time wading though my badly organized prototype project with ugly prototype code :) ... Can't do much against number two for now, and you might have more insights in question number one.

I certainly will send you an E-Mail in the future... I did not want to bug you over the holidays with my questions though, and was busy with christmas and new years eve myself, so its not a big deal anyway.

Regards

Gian-Reto

21. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hi,

Yes, it’s probably a good idea to remove the older version, just to be sure.

Don’t worry about it, your code/privacy is valued with us.

Please do keep in touch with support@amplify.pt

All the best.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  22. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Okay, removed the old version, opened the downloaded version in my project, added the AmplifyMotion ImageEffect to the Vehicle Camera and the AM Object script to my vehicle.... Still not working. Then it struck me: Since months I have combined all the meshes affected with the CombineChildren script! I haven't thought about it in a long time, as it brought some FPS improvement with it, but generally was not the silver bullet I hoped for.

I deactived the CombineChildren script on all meshes, and the Motion Blur was working! I officially feel stupid now.

So important for you is: have a look into the CombineChildren Standart Asset Script from Unity. Maybe you can reproduce my problem that way.

I will leave the CombineChildren off for now, as I am trying to combine all my meshes into a skinned mesh to reduce the draw call footprint. So I should not be affected by this problem in the future.

One thing I still need to look into: on my 2nd player vehicle, I get false Motion Blur on the wheels (which are turning, but of course should not be motionblurred, as it looks off)... the problem is not there on my 1st player vehicle, so it might something with my vehicles setup that is different.

Any ETA for a new version in the Asset Store with the bugfixes in the trial version you provided me with?

Thanks for all your help, and sorry for not thinking of the CombineChildren Script earlier.

Gian-Reto

23. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for the additional info, we will look into it asap. Glad it works, I’m sure we can work something out with the combine script if the vertex information is available.

Try running the scene, pausing and checking if the wheel has a Motion Object applied. If not, it might not be registering as it should.

Try adding the wheel to the exclude layer, if you still see motion blur something might be up.

Alternatively, get in touch via support@amplify.pt and send us some screenshots.

Updating a package in the asset store varies, it might be almost instant or take up to 3 weeks.

We have a solution for that, with our semi-automated update system you can access new builds before they are available in the Asset Store.

Simply send us your Unity Asset Store receipt and we will give you access to our download/update system.
    Download/Update Sytem

24. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

I found a solution for my issues with the wheels ... after noticing that the problems where also affecting one of the two cams of the first player vehicle, I checked the settings on each cameras amplify Motion effect.

The Cam without problems had the exclude layers set to nothing, while all others where set to everything. changing exclude layers to nothing solved the problem ...

One last question: theoretically, the turning wheek should have motion blur on them, just radial one due to theiv movement compared to the rest of the vehicle... I assume this level of fine granular motion blur is to much to ask from amplify motion? Or is there away with a second instance of the Image Effect perhaps?

l will contact you about the receipt this week

regards

Gian-Reto

25. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hi Gian,

Our current technique has problems with small objects rotating too fast, like wheels, so we recommend you exclude them using the Amplify Motion culling mask, to exclude them from the motion blur, and blend-in or swap into a different model as the wheels accelerate.

Of course, we try to keep improving the product and this sort of limitation is definitely something that we need to address.

I hope this helps.

26. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

We updated Amplify Motion, Version 1.2.3 features:

• Fixed excluded and/or instantiated objects from leaking into the background.
    • Fixed intermittent motion blur in slow velocities
    • Improved accuracy of motion blur sampling and masking.

27. garyhaus

garyhaus

Amplify... Purchased the plugin. ABSOLUTELY bad $ss!!!! Thank you so much for this.

Regards,

Gary

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  28. garyhaus

garyhaus

EDITED: Diogo help me sort it all out. Thanks and thank you for your quick response and customer service!

Just realized it shows a watermark... How do I disable your watermark on in editor playback or builds? The license says it is trial version... I did purchase from Asset Store $50 USD for it. Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Gary

29. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hi Gary,

Is this the version you imported from the Asset Store? That's definitely not supposed to happen.

Could have been a submitting mistake. I'm looking into it right now.

--edit

Just confirmed as an embarrassing submission mistake. I've already submitted a new full/watermark-free build. Hopefully it won't take long to be approved.

In the meantime, for anyone having problems, just forward your invoice number to support@amplify.pt and we'll send you a full version immediately.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  30. jcarpay

jcarpay

Following this plugin development with interest.
    Would it be possible to add a feature that would blur an object without any movement taken into consideration?

31. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

That's perfectly possible. What kind of control for the direction of blur would you rather have in this situation?

32. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

33. Kaldorei

Kaldorei

Does it work with particle systems or it is only for meshes ?

34. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Unfortunately, object motion blur is only supported for meshes at the moment. Camera motion blur, on the other hand, should work fine on all hard surfaces.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  35. Kaldorei

Kaldorei

Unfortunately i was in need of a motion blur effect for FX selectively, camera motion blur won't fit for that, thanks for your answer.

36. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Gah, having a hell of a time getting a particular situation to work.
    I've got an FPS-style setup, one main camera and one child weapon camera. Main camera is deferred, child camera is forward (otherwise Unity's layering of the cameras breaks)
    Players spawn in pods. For some reason, while in a pod that is dropping, the weapon is blurred by the pod when I move the camera. It's like the pod's velocity texture is being written over the weapon's velocity texture (but only while the pod is moving). Both of them have AmplifyMotionObject components with Register Children enabled.
    The problem does not present itself when the pod does not have this component, however the pod becomes incorrectly blurred during the drop (vertically blurred). I want the pod to be blurred when I rotate the camera, so I also can't mask the pod from the camera's layers.

37. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Are you by any chance using the Overlay Cameras property for the child camera in Amplify Motion effect?

38. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Yes, apparently forgot to mention that. Child weapon camera is in the Overlay Cameras array of the parent camera.

39. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

I apologize for the delay. I'm working on the AM update right now and looking to fix this issue.

Can you confirm if this problem also occurs when using the forward rendering path instead of deferred?

--- edit
    might have been able to replicate the issue, let me get back to you soon

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  40. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

IIRC, I did test both - forward and deferred. Problem seems to exist in both.

41. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Hey, just curious, are you rendering to a half-resolution texture like UE3? If not, that might be something to consider doing. You would render to a half-resolution texture in order to speed things up, and blend it with the full-resolution framebuffer based on velocity magnitude.

42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Or user definable - quarter is OK in some cases.

43. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Yep, maybe exposed as a Downsample Factor property?
    Generally the motion blurred areas will be quite forgiving to downsampling as they are already blurry.

44. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Thanks for that.

I found a bug that was causing a problem similar to yours. Would you mind giving the following build a try?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p863tsn0akeqqh/am125b3_trial.unitypackage

Yes. Only in Mobile quality level, however.

Sure, I could expose a variable downsampling factor.

I went for the quality level approach with carefully picked sample numbers and downsampling based on minimum hw specs for each level. Are you guys having performance issues?

45. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I haven't, but that's because I've got a GTX 780 Ti (I'm using the SysInternals taskbar graphs - GPU is pretty much 0% all the time) - but I'm a little worried my customers who don't have as good a card will have performance issues. I do have a Mac though, so I can test performance on that.

EDIT: I did see 20% GPU usage at one point, but that seems to have *magically* disappeared, so probably a Unity Editor anomaly.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  46. kenlem

kenlem

Hi Diogo,

I've tried the Amplify Motion Blur plug in with my mobile game and it's just beautiful. While it runs pretty well on faster devices, there are always going to be lower end devices that just don't have the speed to spare for this effect.What would suggest would be the best way to enable and disable it at runtime? I should be able to just add an Amplify Motion component to my camera and then add Amplify Motion objects to any dynamic objects, right?

I'd prefer to not have the the Amplify Motion component already on my camera at start up because I don't want it to allocate a buffer for the offscreen buffer if it's not going to be used. I wouldn't want to give up any memory on lower end devices.

Thanks.

47. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Glad you appreciate the quality. Finding the right quality-perf ratio on Mobile is definitely our biggest concern.

Exactly. That's the way I would do it. I have a development build that might interest you. It includes a number of fixes related to runtime instancing as well as full source code, which is planned for the next release.

I'll send you more info regarding this build via PM.

Kind regards

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  48. WaaghMan

WaaghMan

Hi, purchased the plugin after trying the demo (thank you for offering a trial, otherwise we wouldn't have risked without knowing if integration with our project was going to be easy enough) last week and it's working great.

However, we found some issues while integrating. Some of them we've been able to locate and fix or find a workaround, others not so much...

* Looks like the plugin needs all meshes that move (with the Amplify Motion Object script) to be checked as "Read/Write enabled", otherwise exceptions are thrown and the effect isn't properly shown. I don't know if this can be improved so you don't need to have the R/W flag checked and save some memory, but anyway it's not a problem for us.

* Having Amplify Motion Object scripts without an active Amplify Motion Effect throw an exception when the scene starts (we do this because Motion Blur is an optional setting in the game, and if disabled we don't create the effect, but enemies always have the Motion script in their prefab).

* (This is the one we haven't been able to fix)When building a project with static batching disabled (we disabled static batching because the only scene that can benefit of it is a demo scene with a camera following a path, and SB increased build size in 100MBytes), most meshes aren't drawn on one of our scenes at all (not even without postprocess). The only ones that get rendered are the ones with the Read/Write flag, however none of them have the Amplify Motion Object script so it shouldn't be necessary.

Note that this last issue only is happening in the standalone build (Windows), not on the Unity Editor. And on the main game, where the whole scene is made from loading prefabs, and using StaticBatchingUtility to merge static meshes, it's working fine. It's happening only on a scene where the meshes were placed beforehand, not procedurally loaded prefabs.

For now we'll just disable Motion Blur in that demo scene, so it's not very important.

49. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Our apologies for the delay, there seems to be a problem with the forum notifications after the latest update.

The developer responsible for technical support will post here as soon as possible. For direct support, contact support@amplify.pt.

50. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

We are happy to announce that Wasteland 2 is now using our vector based motion blur solution for Unity3d; Amplify Motion. It’s an honor to have contributed to the project, a true classic that we can't wait to play.

Wasteland 2 by InXile Entertainment

Visit our website for more info on Wasteland 2 and our Unity Products: Open Page