Search Unity

Intensive Math Library

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by KTC, Oct 22, 2014.

1. KTC

KTC

I have a simple unity app. This app has a single scene a few simple ui elements and an intensive math library. The math library Needs to work for a few seconds and than based on the output I use unity to show a 3d graphs.

l need to optimize the calculation time under unity for great user experience. If I use Native ios app, the library takes 3secs. If I use the same lib with unity it takes 7 secs.

Is there a way I can prioritize my library during the calculation time? I am ok to make ui freeze, show no new frames etc. Basically I like to stop unity and give all the available CPU to my library during the calculation time.

2. guavaman

guavaman

The only thing you can do is freeze the Physics step with Time.timeScale = 0. This won't stop rendering though, just physics update. If you don't have any physics going on at the time, it's probably not going to help.

If it's taking 7 seconds with nothing else loaded in Unity at that point, probably the only thing you're going to be able to do is to optimize your calculation.

1) Use multi-threading. You can't call any Unity functions in other threads, but you can use them for your own calculations.
    2) Write a native plugin to do the calculations (Unity Pro officially required, but there are ways around this). C++ runs about 2x the speed of C# in Unity currently.

3. KTC

KTC

Dear Guvaman,

Thanks for the answer. My lib is already written in c++ and it is a native plugin.

Would unityPause() help?

Another option I am considering is to reduce frame rate to 1 during the calculations.

4. guavaman

guavaman

Okay,
    Well, I haven't done iOS development so I won't be able to help further, but the description of UnityPause does sound like what you need.

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi,

if you call your math library from Unity main thread, you are effectively freezing Unity - it won't do anything while your code is executing, as it thinks it's still executing your scripts.

6. KTC

KTC

Unity Pause does work well. Calling from main thread is not useful since the library is multithreaded and it returns immediately. So it won't be blocking Unity.