Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Inspector text gets corrupted

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by AcidArrow, Oct 4, 2015.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Text in the the editor GUI (inspector etc) gets corrupted, letters and numbers go missing. Not sure what triggers it, it goes away on its own. I'm on a Mac running El Capitan.

Bug #733398

2. mdrotar

mdrotar

I've got the same problem. I'm running OSX Yosemite. I can reproduce it pretty reliably by renaming a folder in project view and pressing enter to finish. Finishing the rename by clicking away does not cause it.
    CorruptUI.png

Edit: actually, renaming any object in the project view will reproduce it, as long as you end it by pressing enter.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    AcidArrow likes this.
  3. pfreese

pfreese

Unity Technologies

Can you post some additional screenshots of the problem? It might help to determine whether the issue is related to the font texture atlas or not. Also, when it occurs, does alt-tabbing after and back to the editor affect anything?

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I tried the method that @mdrotar said.

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 10.59.18.png

Some notes:

1) I had to reset the layout and I had to rename the folder in the tree view.

2) Alt tabbing and/or clicking away does fix it.

3) This is similar, but not exactly the same as what I originally reported. I was getting the inspector/lighting window text corrupted and it was harder to fix it (simple alt tab did not fix it). I didn't figure out what was triggering it, I'll try and grab a screenshot next time it happens.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Here we go:

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 11.30.46.png

It only happened at *some* places this time (drop downs and the text at the bottom?). Didn't notice how it went away, but it didn't with a simple alt+tab.

6. mb133

mb133

text_missing.png
    Frequently happens after code changes during & after compilation. Resizing the window seems to fix it.
    OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  7. mb133

mb133

Also getting this - resizing the window didn't fix it but modifying code (i.e. causing a rebuild) did.
    garbled_text.png

8. movra

movra

After importing the QuickUI free asset, docking the QuickUI tab and restarting the editor, some editor fonts become huge:

upload_2015-10-20_21-54-27.png

Might be a different bug, but maybe it will point to the same source of trouble as the missing characters.

(by the way, importing the asset will cause your library folder to increase with about 1 GB because of a bazillion uncrunched images)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  9. u0204909

u0204909

I have the same issues with Inspector text. Using an iMac, Yosemite.

It happens very often in various inspector windows, dropdowns, labels etc, but goes away either by itself in a few seconds, or through trying to do random stuff like switching away from the windows or opening something or changing the selected asset etc.

Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 9.36.53 am.png

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  10. radimoto

radimoto

I'm getting the same issue on Unity 5.3.0b5 on El Capitan. If I do File > Save Project it fixes the issue.

I'm mostly noticing this when using Script Inspector.

11. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Problems with the new default OpenGL core. Can workaround for now with --force-opengl, but working on fixing.

12. Xeir

Xeir

Just an update, this is still happening in 5.3.0f1 with OR without --force-opengl. Using OS X Yosemite / GTX 970, also tried with a Radeon 5870, same result.

Randomly happens in the console, editor windows, window tabs, etc. as others have mentioned. Focusing a window the text snaps back to normal typically but not always.

Example text line:
    Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 7.36.10 PM.png
    Should be: Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 7.41.13 PM.png

13. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

We have one last round of opengl fixes we'll land for rc2 to attempt, else we'll be making default go back to the legacy renderer (though leaving the new opengl core as an option)

14. Xeir

Xeir

Noticed someone mentioned to use -force-opengl instead of --force-opengl. Tried it and it does seem to be working so far.

15. sanpats

sanpats

Hi, using legacy renderer in 5.3 have bugs of its own, there is some regression from 5.2.