Search Unity

[Infinity Series] Medieval Weapons & Armor PBR Packs

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by infinitypbr, Aug 4, 2015.

1. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Check it out @ the Asset Store forum: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/infinity-series-medieval-weapons-armor-pbr-packs.350012/

Speed Texturing video showing how easy it is to completely customize the look & feel of the weapons.

Speed video showing how you'd create and export custom base materials (Metal, Wood & Leather), for use with our models. You can replace any material with another!

Just an little thing saying that we're working on PBR Weapons & Armor! Since we plan on ultimately having 30+ models of each type (Sword, Axe, Mace/Club, Spear, Staff, Shields, Helmets & more), we'll probably be releasing them in packages for each type, because 30+ will take up over 2 gigs of space (they're 20-80mb each so far, depending on how complex the masking has to be).

Features should be:
    * 100% Real PBR with real metallic/roughness values (adjustable, of course)

* Over 50 Metals, Woods, Leathers & Stone (gem) PBR textures included so you can easily change the look of each object. Masked so you can change just one part of it.

* Adjust the Hue/Saturation/Lightness/Contrast/Roughness & Blend in color as well for each section of the object, independent of the rest. (IE, any color blade you want!)

* Massive amount of post-FX including environment FX. Ground dirt, ceiling dirt, grunge & dirt, snow & moss and also BLADE BLOOD. Runtime materials will be included to allow in-game use of blade blood. (IE, player hits an enemy and there is blood that can fade or change over time)

* Each object has a "new" and "damaged" set of Normal/AO/Height maps and when you set it up you can fade between the two. Or you can use a run time material to change it during your game -- maybe when the player buys a weapon it's "new", and as it gets used it gets more and more beat up.

* Each part of every weapon is modular, so you can mix and match as much as you'd like and create brand new weapons.

* Works with ALL versions of Unity (will require 5.1 to create the materials, but the exported materials will work with any version).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    nasos_333 likes this.
  2. Serinx

Serinx

Looking forward to some screenshots

infinitypbr likes this.
  3. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Me too! Hopefully tonight before I go to sleep. I want to get a video showing some of the cool stuff, like the blade blood. (I'm very excited about that!)

Oh. Forgot to list a feature:
    * Each object has a "new" and "damaged" set of Normal/AO/Height maps and when you set it up you can fade between the two. Or you can use a run time material to change it during your game -- maybe when the player buys a weapon it's "new", and as it gets used it gets more and more beat up.

Serinx likes this.
  4. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Video added -- just an early preview of one of the axe weapons. Doesn't show texture swapping, but a lot of changes to the various parts as well as some of the environment FX.

5. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Added shots of the first 6 weapons. It's important to note that ALL the materials can be changed out. We include a bunch of other materials to use, each customizable.

Then, each weapon contains customizations:

* Metal Wear
    * Leather (non-metal) Wear
    * Ground Dirt
    * Ceiling Dirt
    * Surface Dirt
    * Snow / Ice / Moss
    * Directional Blood (IE, blood on the blade!)

6. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Looks like we'll be adding a spear and a staff and then releasing v1.0! We plan on adding more weapons and increasing the price over time, but anyone who buys it at the start will get all the updates for free! :D

7. Archania

Archania

They look great. Can't wait to see the rest of the stuff.

8. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

ME TOO! :D

Should have the spear preview up today, and maybe the staff too.

9. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Added the Spear & Staff up top. Today I ended up hacking together a killer script that'll make everyones life a LOT easier.

To use the textures with the standard shader, you need to click a toggle, click a button to save the maps, import them into Unity, create a new material (name it) & assign the textures. The script basically uses a menu option or command-shift-T to do all of that in one step. It saves new materials with the look you've created, all organized with timestamps, so you can create a lot of different looks very quickly.

It works, and I just want to make a few adjustments to some of the models, as well as get the Instruction PDF up, before submitting to the store.

10. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Added a new video showing the speed texturing of Axe001. Set the look you want, click the "Save Textures" button [or Control-Shift-T] and a Standard Shader Material will be created with a unique path for that look. Repeat as desired :D

11. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

New video showing the base material creation. Crazy easy.

12. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Just an update, in case anyone is following this package. I had wanted to submit it to the asset store earlier this week. However, I realized I was missing a key option in the customization: To mask out the default texture (Normal/AO) and replace it with a custom one.

Before you could use custom materials (and we provide a tool to create them), but the default textures would be combined with the custom ones. In most cases that'll be perfect. But if you want to replace leather with wood, for a handle or maybe metal with wood for a shaft, the result may not be exactly what you had wanted.

So we ended up re-doing the work flow mostly from scratch. It's much better now, but we have to re-do the previous weapons in the new work flow before we release. No sense in having multiple versions running around.

Also, models being worked on include: Boots, Gauntlets, Shields, Bow & Arrows, Knife & more.

Acissathar likes this.
  13. Mister-D

Mister-D

how do u get to make the substance so fast? ive tried using one for a character and its almost unusable because it makes the editor extremely laggy.

14. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

tl;dr The design of the graph matters a lot, since nodes are cached. Making it so that changing an option affects the least number of nodes as possible is important -- linear maps aren't always a good thing. Unity is getting better, and I hear 5.2 is going to be much faster.

Well -- our main graphs aren't designed for run time use, that's important. I try to include some helpful runtime graphs that are much smaller and faster.

In the videos I do try to cut out parts where Unity starts being dumb. It's much faster than it used to be, and I hear that in the release version of 5.2 there will be some drastic improvements to the speed of substances. The big thing is that Unity likes to re-build it at seemingly random times, which is just annoying.

However, I learned early on that the way the graph is designed is very important, especially when it starts getting big -- and these graphs are generally HUGE. Below is a graph I just finished, with 8 sub-areas that can be adjusted. It features custom inputs, general HSL/Contrast/Roughness adjustments, Masking for AO/Normal maps (so that you can change things from wood to metal and not still have the wood grain), metal damage ,leather wearing, ground dirt, ceiling dirt, directional "blood" (aka dirt), and a copyright mask.

For the weapons this is the (new) general graph I use. In some cases I may add a feature, like for a shield I'll likely add the ability to have a stamp on the shield, for an emblem. But for most uses, this basic graph works well. So I have a template that's all set up with up to 16 unique parts to the map.

graph.jpg

Mister-D likes this.
  15. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

Looking amazing, is there a release date and pricing ?

Also the armor will be in the same pack or separate ?

17. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Release date will be whenever they accept it :) Usually it's pretty fast after submission. I hope to get it submitted tomorrow -- there's a few more things I want to have set, like the website, some nice fancier "game like" sample images, and at least one more Run Time option (for the directional blood -- so that maybe when the weapon hits something, blood can appear then fade out over the weapon).

Armor will be intermingled in the pack. I have a set of Guantlets, Boots, a simple helmet & a shield in the works right now. Will likely be about 20-40% armor from here out.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great, these look very sweet. Cant wait to see the armor

19. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

For those who may be following this thread and not the (current) one in the Asset Store forum, this is now live :)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/44714?asac=iITTvvWFqp

$16 for 8 objects -- the package will eventually have 30 objects and cost $60. If you buy it now, you'll get all the updates for free.

And hint: There's 5 more objects already finished for an update to be submitted to the store next week.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  20. sowatnow

sowatnow

Looking good. I was about to purchase it, but didn't see what I was looking for.

Are you planning to add any armor?

Also will the pack contain any spell book, more staff, more swords (2H sword), spear etc?

If you can provide a list of what you will adding, it will help.

Thanks

21. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

What were you looking for specifically? Right now I'm working with modelers, and I generally decide on 5 new objects at a time, trying to get a decent mix between types [Swords, Daggers, Axe, Spear, Staff, Shields, Helmets, Bows, Crossbows, maces, Clubs].... I'd imagine there will be more Swords than Crossbows, of course.

While I have a sizable bunch of images of things I personally like, I'm not beholden to any of them specifically. Since the objects are modular, though, I do try to get a mix of looks. You can put a different blade on a hilt/grip, and make a different weapon, for instance.

I hadn't thought of a spell book -- maybe :)

There will be shields and helmets -- shields more than helmets. The problem with non-shield armor is that they need to conform to the model you're using. Helmets are kind of OK because they can usually be resized decently in editor.

Other armor, though, isn't really possible because of the animation. Boot need to bend at the toe, which means they need to boned and skinned and all that. For that, we're actually working on "Human Base + Barbarian" set (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/infinity-series-human-base-barbarian-set.335792/), which will be a human Barbarian character.

It'll have a bunch of clothing & armor pieces that fit a Barbarian. If all goes as planned (IE, if it works right without breaking things or being a pain to set up), we'll be releasing add-on package to the human for other job titles. Knights, wizards, archers, priests, guards etc. Each would feature a bunch of new clothing (not just one set, but a lot of variety, all of which would be fully customizable [color/material etc]), likely new hair/facial hair, and perhaps even new faces. And new animations that fit the new job.

That way as you collect the add-ons, you can end up mixing and matching clothing -- make a knight that wears the cloak of a wizard and shoots arrows like an archer, etc.

22. sowatnow

sowatnow

I am working on a rpg game, and have 3 classes, warrior, ranger and mage. So I am looking for anything which these three classes can use. You got some, but not all.
    Looks like the armor pieces won't work with UMA or any other model, except which it comes with.

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Bough the pack, looks superb.

When is the next update planned ?

infinitypbr likes this.
  24. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Like let to be submitted today or Monday, it takes up to two weeks to get approved. However the Gargoyle will be in the 24 hour sale on Monday, so it may be approved fast.

If you like the package, please write a review and rate it :) reviews are the #1 thing other ppl look for when making decisions, esp with packages that are visually appealing but contain relatively new or different workflows. Not everyone is familiar with this type of texturing.

Thanks!

nasos_333 likes this.
  25. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Cool. They may. I'll be including the pieces individually as well, so they may be used. I'm not familiar with uma enough to say either way

26. sowatnow

sowatnow

Ok Cool. Will purchase this one and see how it goes.

How long will it take you to update this pack to 30 items?

infinitypbr likes this.
  27. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'm not quite sure yet, since it's the first one.

There are 2 weapons that are 100% ready to be added, and maybe 3-4 more than just need me to do a bit of work to them (for texturing), and then set up the package again for submission to the store. There's modelers (2 of them) working on more weapons, so maybe 4-8 weeks total? But really, I have no idea so don't hold me to that, could be faster or slower!

28. sowatnow

sowatnow

I am having a little problem with using these weapons in my scene.
    As shown below, they appear to be dark.
    They are fine with the scene they came in and also in a new scene.

29. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Try adding reflection probes.

30. sowatnow

sowatnow

Yep it did the trick, had to add it to the game object.
    Thanks