Search Unity

[Infinity Series] Dungeon - Procedural PBR Assets

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by infinitypbr, Jun 2, 2015.

?

Would you buy a (discounted) 'Early Access' version of this package?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Maybe So

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

EARLY ACCESS COMING SOON!

What is this?
    My "Infinity Series" of assets are basically all modern, massively customizable models made in the highest of quality. The Dungeon Package will be a HUGE package, not just one but dozens of potential looks with hundreds of unique assets.

What's being released soon?
    An "Early Access" version, for something like 60% off the full release price. It's taking a long time to get all the pieces together, and I don't like having all this great stuff sitting on my computer doing nothing for you guys when it can do something for someone.

What's included?
    Floors & Walls. Not just flat pieces, but curved pieces, slants, corners etc. Texture generators will be included for tiles, stone, marble, brick, different patterns, dirt & mud & more.

Pillars, archways, doors (all openable), levers & more. Many pieces will come untextured, so that you can easily choose which material (marble, stone, wood etc) that you want to use. Some, like the doors, will have default textures. Every piece will be heavily divided into sections so you can change some or all of the base materials to suit the look of your game.

Downloadable content for registered users at http://www.InfinityPBR.com will include ready-to-use prefabs of the pieces, already textured in very unique and specific looks. Basically full levels. Not just one, but multiple. No longer are you stuck buying one package and having only ONE look -- these dungeon assets will work in a huge variety of settings. (I actually don't know if calling it "dungeon" is appropriate, as it works for castles, sewers & other interiors!)

When?
    Soon. I'm packing together all we have now, and going to make some demos & pre-set textures for download. By the end of November I'd think.

Hey everyone! I'm working on a bigger "Dungeon" package to go with my Infinity Series assets. This will be my WIP thread, mostly photos & speed videos showing what I'm working on. It's a big package and will likely be the biggest, most versatile dungeon package you can possibly get. Follow the thread for updates!

Speed video showing v.1 of some stone & tile options. Check out the potential!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

More floor testing. Check out the huge array of options when it comes to tiled stone & marble. Kind of insane.

3. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Here's a screenshot showing a tiled floor w/ a grate on the edges. The grate is an overlay that you can create all with our package -- the number of holes, size, placement, all that is something you can control. Once you put it on your floor, you can then move it around as well.

This is a FLAT PLANE! There is no actual depth in the floor model, but it has transparent holes (see the cube beneath it?), and the illusion of depth using the height map. Crazy fast method of doing this, and all of it is 100% procedural with our system.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  4. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Uploading a video now that shows this scene being built. The video doesn't have the gargoyle or chests, but we wanted to put them in to show the scale. Each floor and wall piece is 5x5, so about 15 feet square, but may look smaller without a ceiling, doors or other references.

5. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

WIP: Walls & Floors
    Three parts to this video. (1) A game-view demo of a stone-based dungeon. (2) A "Speed" video showing me change the textures using our procedural workflow to a completely different look and (3) a game-view demo of the new look.

One thing to point out: All the walls & floors are 5x5 planes. There is no geometry here, it's 100% flat. The cutouts, the crevices, the bumps -- all of that is part of the PBR workflow. Pretty freaking cool, in my opinion.

Check it out in 1080 HD for the best look!

6. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

TIME TO SLEEP. But first, a screenshot with a very alpha version of a ceiling.

7. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Quick little screenshot showing some stairs, barrels & the ground. Barrel is FREE (check my signature), if you're interested.

FreakForFreedom and Wylaryzel like this.
  8. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

EARLY ACCESS (POLL) DETAILS
    If I were to release an "Early Access" version of this on the Asset Store, it'd start out with only the basics: Floors, Walls, Passageways & Doors. The price would be likely 60-70% off whatever the "normal" price ends up being.

I'd then update with new additions -- more platforms etc, things like pipes, roots, torches and all the other environmental stuff you may want in a dungeon. More stairs, more features, all that good stuff. I could also get feedback from early adopters and make stuff that you guys are specifically wanting to have. As I add things, the price would go up until it's finally finished and at normal price.

Anyone who bought an early version would get all updates up to the finished version without any additional cost.

I only want to do this if there's real interest, so please let me know one way or the other in the poll above. Thanks!!

9. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not entirely sure what this package is, to be honest. What is the intended use scenario?

chelnok likes this.
  10. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

It's a "Dungeon Package". Use it however you see fit, probably in level building for your game development. It goes really well with our characters and other assets (chests, barrels & more to come).

Since it's procedural, you can create many many different looks -- not just a few, but hundreds. And from that have unique levels throughout your game without having to develop tons of assets yourself.

11. hopeful

hopeful

So ... it's an editor tool for building simple rooms with complex materials ...?

As opposed to - say - a runtime editor that players use to make their own customized areas, or an infinite runner procedural room generator ...?

12. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

A & B. It's a package that'll be full of models -- lots of them, how many, i don't actually know, and I'm sure it'll grow over time. Walls, floors, ceilings, doors, pillars & tons of other "Add on" type things to make it more versatile. In that regard it's not any different than any of the other Dungeon packages in the Asset Store already, although I plan on including a lot more options for each type of object than usually you'd find.

Although it is PBR, which is nice. The Standard Shader is PBR, and most (all?) of the current environment packs in the store aren't PBR. PBR is great -- it works super realistically with the lighting and such in Unity 5.

But then this is all procedural as well. That means that while there may be a wall, it doesn't have to look the same. The objects will all have a set of "base" textures to work with, often stone & marble, but also metals & wood when appropriate. You can choose which to use, sometimes yo can choose more than one depending on the pattern. You also get to choose and customize the pattern -- bricks and other tiled patterns, for instance. You can modify the size, the spacing, the grout color and look and feel. You can add things like water and snow and moss and ice and dirt and more dirt. For walls and pillars etc, you can add ground dirt and ceiling dirt, dust, cracks & more.

Further, I'm adding some quite cool features such as the metal overlays in the images above -- that way you can turn a floor that you've designed into one w/ a rug or metal overlay. the metal can have holes in it, becoming a grate that's actually see-thru (And light responds to it as well) even though the object is still the same flat plane as before.

There's one downside: It's not plug-and-play. It doesn't take long to customize a look, especially if you're not a perfectionist, but it does need to be done. However,r that's far outweighed by the biggest upside: Your game won't always look like other peoples. Depending on how you set up your textures, you may end up with a game level that no one else has, even though you're all using the same package. That can not at all be said about a non-procedural asset package.

Check out this video (also linked above), showing some quick changes. This is only a tiny example of what you can do.

chelnok likes this.
  13. hopeful

hopeful

Okay. It sounds like only the materials are procedural, correct?

So the plan is that this will be like a standard 3D dungeon model kit, where you create your dungeon levels in the editor using the art supplied in the kit ... except you're using a script and the standard U5 shader for modifying the materials (which is kind of like using substances, except you are using regular textures).

14. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

For the most part, yes.

15. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Quick little image before I head to bed. It's been all day (and I mean ALL day) and I've got two of the NINE doors finished.

There are three type of passage ways -- Square, Arched & Pointed Arch. Each has three types of doors with completely different look. Each door comes with a default texture, as well as the ability to use custom metals & woods, with things like dirt & grunge etc. They all, of course, will open and close for you :) [This one is using wood materials, is not the pre-rendered texture, and is an alpha version of the doors.]

16. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Here's yet one more door. Each of the types of door shape (flat-top, arched-top, pointed-top) has a "simple" door, a "strong" door and a jail-like door w/ bars in a window. The wall piece is a flat surfaced archway with a square shape. The door fits inside, although you can use it by itself or with provided overlays to border the arch as well.

The metal bottom of the wall is an overlay option -- that can be moved up or down, resized, and can use any material you'd like, so it doesn't have to be metal. It can of course not be used at all too.

[Edit: I've added a 2nd shot below the first. Both are the same model. The difference
    between the two is pretty big, all achieved with just a few clicks. The wood can be ANY wood, the metal can be ANY metal.]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  17. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

Hi there,

I really like the approach and the idea behind. What would be interesting for me is if the texture/creation of texture can be applied to objects other than the provided ones in the pack? E.g. I'm not really convinced and happy with the sizes you are creating for and maybe would use a different size for the floor size (e.g. 2.5x2.5 or 3x3)?

18. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

There will be 2.5 tiles, but of course you could just resiZe the pieces 50%.

To keep the same texture look, you'd have to double their size, or they'll shrink as well. Or alternatively, just bring the walls in closer -- players won't know that there's more floor behind the wall after all.

re

19. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

DOORS! Here's the 9 door models we have. There are three types -- "Square", "Arched" & "Pointed". Each of the three has a simple, a strong and a windowed version.

Each one is completely procedural. Shown is the default look, but the metals & woods can all be customized (with base materials provided), up to 4 per door. From there, dirt, grime, age, etc can all be added as well. One door that has wooden slats could also be a flat metal door, completely different look, with just a few clicks of the mouse.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  20. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

WIP "Speed" Video: Showing me testing one of the doors. I start by producing base metal & wood that I'll use in the door texture, then I start working on the door, changing options to produce various results.

21. IAmCraigSnedeker

IAmCraigSnedeker

Looks great!

How are the walls/floors built? Is that apart of the system or just a imported model?

22. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The models are normal models that you'd expect -- flat planes for walls and floors, cube-like objects for walls w/ arches or walls with "Bashed" damage etc, curved planes for floors that curve.

23. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

EARLY ACCESS COMING SOON!

What is this?
    My "Infinity Series" of assets are basically all modern, massively customizable models made in the highest of quality. The Dungeon Package will be a HUGE package, not just one but dozens of potential looks with hundreds of unique assets.

What's being released soon?
    An "Early Access" version, for something like 60% off the full release price. It's taking a long time to get all the pieces together, and I don't like having all this great stuff sitting on my computer doing nothing for you guys when it can do something for someone.

What's included?
    Floors & Walls. Not just flat pieces, but curved pieces, slants, corners etc. Texture generators will be included for tiles, stone, marble, brick, different patterns, dirt & mud & more.

Pillars, archways, doors (all openable), levers & more. Many pieces will come untextured, so that you can easily choose which material (marble, stone, wood etc) that you want to use. Some, like the doors, will have default textures. Every piece will be heavily divided into sections so you can change some or all of the base materials to suit the look of your game.

Downloadable content for registered users at http://www.InfinityPBR.com will include ready-to-use prefabs of the pieces, already textured in very unique and specific looks. Basically full levels. Not just one, but multiple. No longer are you stuck buying one package and having only ONE look -- these dungeon assets will work in a huge variety of settings. (I actually don't know if calling it "dungeon" is appropriate, as it works for castles, sewers & other interiors!)

When?
    Soon. I'm packing together all we have now, and going to make some demos & pre-set textures for download. By the end of November I'd think.

24. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Something is happening....

Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 11.16.03 AM.png

Adrad likes this.
  25. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Working on a modular system -- currently getting things right, figuring out what pieces I'd want if i were level designing.

Everything will be modular, and the pack will come with a bunch of high quality PBR textures that can be tweaked and modified both before you add them to the objects and after, with their base values & environmental values like ground dirt, damage etc.

Let me know what kind of objects you'd like in a "Dungeon" package. (And I'm serious -- I need more ideas!)

26. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

A WIP -- I'm good on the pieces available for the initial release. There's a LOT. Since it's kind of insane to have all these procedural textures running in the engine at once (they're NOT meant for run-time use, just for massive customization of the textures), I'm going to bundle a pre-made set with the package. There'll be a 2nd (maybe a 3rd) set available for download on the site too.

I have to sleep now, but this is what I have from tonight. The lighting is the generic directional light, and there is a ceiling (although this package is fully compatible with top-down games as well). The colored parts are not-yet-textured. Each color represents a different potential base material.

27. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Subscribing.

infinitypbr likes this.
  28. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

New video showing this room :) It's missing things like particles and I'm going to expand the room to have a bashed down wall leading to a hall and other rooms, but still, you can get an idea of things.

29. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

30. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

31. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

32. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

2nd WIP Video!

33. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

34. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

35. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'll be submitting this to the store tomorrow. It'll likely cost $29 or $36 -- the regular price will be $99 eventually. But for now, I'm looking to get feedback.

Specifically I'll be wanting reviews and ratings (good ratings! of course!), but I would also want to know what other objects / models you guys want for your projects.

36. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Package will ship with over 100 base materials, almost all of which can be modified, some can be modified drastically to make dozens of unique looks. These are all from Substance Share, included under their EULA and can be used in your commercial projects. The vast majority (with "SFB_" at the start of the name), I've modified, most to include more customization options, and some to clean up or improve on the original design.

37. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Adrad likes this.