Search Unity

Infinite space exploration sandbox

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by smilefr, Oct 19, 2014.

1. smilefr

smilefr

Hi there!

I am working on a procedural exploration game (multiplayer) with planetary level precision.

Here are some screenshots of the prototype (everything you see is procedurally generated, including the stars):

Latest Video:

I will try to keep this thread updated as much as possible, if you have any comments or questions feel free to reply to this thread.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    Slaghton, Fireking883, REV-FX and 2 others like this.
  2. Myhijim

Myhijim

Looks fantastic, I too am a lover of making stuff that makes stuff for me, it might be a inherent lazy trait.

How long have you been working on this? I can't believe the sheer scale of this game!

Is the generation time large?

3. smilefr

smilefr

Thank you for your kind comment, I have been working on this for 4 months.
    The generation of a planet takes less than 1 second, it takes around 10 seconds to generate a Solar System.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  4. smilefr

smilefr

Time for some news!

- Updated the water shader, and improved the water system it will now blend with the atmosphere's color.
    - The movements of the controller are smoother, especially when entering a planet's gravity field.
    - Detail management has been improved to allow the perlin generator to place trees and other objects in a more coherent way

5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Wow, I'm very impressed with your idea, as well as your implementation so far... NICE!

Now... I wanna land on a planet, find some indigenous life, and start violating the Starfleet Prime Directive!

Kurt

6. Darrkbeast

Darrkbeast

I like what your doing, always into games like this. Ill follow this and look forward to more updates.

7. smilefr

smilefr

Thank you for your support guys.

I improved the terrain shader to allow it to have up to 10 layers (instead of 5) now based on the red channel of the vertex colors, this allows me use the other channels for ambiant shadows or illumination.

46.jpg 45.jpg

8. smilefr

smilefr

Added caustics and improved the atmosphere:

47.jpg 48.jpg

9. Darrkbeast

Darrkbeast

Looks good, so I know its a exploration game, what other things will the player be able to do?

10. smilefr

smilefr

The gameplay itself is not defined yet, all i know is i will implement some resource collecting, crafting and it will be multiplayer.

The first step is to complete the Infinite Universe Engine, I am focusing on that for now.

11. Darrkbeast

Darrkbeast

Yeah makes since thats a big part of the game. Getting that right is key.

12. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I wanna also add that it feels like in the movie you posted, you have chosen a good feel for the size of the planet (makes the curvature interesting of a given planet, not too flat, not too curved), as well as your spacing between planets, in order to make it interesting.

That makes me thing: are planets going to be arranged hierarchically in solar systems, or will it just be a network of "strings" of planets laced all over the place?? I suppose you could do either. Do the planets orbit each other in any way?? Couldn't tell right off... I could see all kinds of things that would introduce that you'd have to deal with.

It's a very fascinating idea you have there. It appeals to me on some fundamentally geeky level. I was thinking about it during yesterday's solar eclipse too.

Kurt

13. smilefr

smilefr

I chose a size range that would make the planets big enough to be called planets, but small enough for a player to be able to move from one pole to the other without spending too much time (which could be boring)
    It also avoids having landscapes that would feel like repeating themselves in a planet that would be too big.
    I want the player to remember things about a specific trait of a planet.

The goal is to have planet in hierarchical order, that will orbit around the sun, the orbit thing requires some work on the shaders to make them recalculate the light direction (this is done once for the moment), this is in the TODO list.

14. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

As much as it makes sense that the planets would be in orbit, from a game level world knowledge standpoint, it would make it almost impossible to begin to memorize how the world layout is, such as to work out in your mind "How long will it take me to get there... should I bother right now or save it for later when I'm closer?"

Those types of mental calculations would become impossible and/or irrelevant if things were in a constant orbital flux... but it does seem odd that massive plants would just hang in place without motion.

My geek sense is torn between the two possible realities. :)

Kurt

15. exiguous

exiguous

Do you have used third party assets (planets, rings) or is this your own development?
    I like especially the space-atmosphere transition.
    The control reminds me on Spore.

The glowing parts on the volcanic moon should be in the lower areas?

I'm interested in the resolution of you planets. Is it fixed or do you have a dynamic LOD? What do you use as basemesh for the subdividing (sphere, icosaeder)? I would apreciate if you could describe the process in some sentences.
    I'm also interested if your planet types are meaningfull for the distance to the satr or do you allow ice planets close to the star. Do you have/plan gas giants which atmospheres can be entered?

Anyway, great work. Kudos.

16. smilefr

smilefr

This is a feature that will be implemented on the engine, but not necessarely on the game, as it can be a real pain to synchronize positions for planets.

No third party assets were used for the planets (except the trees), the spaceship is from the asset store though. I made all the shaders myself.

The Volcanic moon was just a test but you have a point.

The lod is dynamic and was made to have an infinity of levels, but in the actuall game i only use 2 levels. The base can be any mesh since all the vertices will be subdivided, It is more convenient to use a cube for the uvs though.

The distance to the sun is definitively a factor that affects the planets, is still need to think about the way I will organize this.
    Also yes i plan to make planets with only gaz.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  17. smilefr

smilefr

Here is a new video showing the Lod's performances now that it has been optimized:

18. inko

inko

This is so freakin cool! Would love to hear some stuff about the technical cleverness going on in the background.

These are ico spheres I assume, right? But how do you project uv mapping on the sphere? Is is heightmap only or actual voxel based? How do you store entities on a planet? Are they persistant or just stored via seed? How are you handling view distances like this? And why are there water splashes in space?

Would love to hear some insight on some of your magic trickery :)

Anyway, keep it up and good luck!

19. smilefr

smilefr

Thanks mate!

The base mesh can be anything, i use a subdivided cube, then i process heights using a list of Simplex noises with weights based on heights.

The textures are rendered using my Vertex based terrain shader, I assign a vertex colors instead of projecting a heightmap texture on a sphere, the shader will then decide what texture to display based on the value of one en the color channels. This method is less precise as it requires more vertices but it allows me to save memory.

Nothing is preventing me from implementing a voxel system, this is not the case for the moment, I am not focusing on this point because I want to make a multiplayer game, and this can be quite the pain to synchronize.

I am not quite sure what you mean by entities, if you are talking about the trees and other details, I use the value of my simplex noise to determine what detail/texture should be loaded.

Nothing is persistent in the system, the whole point of it is to be calulated on the fly via seed.

For the distances (not sure I really understand what exactly you want me to explain here), I simply created a controller that slows the movement speed when getting closer to a planet, this gives a smoother experience for the user.

About the water splashes you see in space, this is a bug with the Z-Buffer, it should be rendered after the terrain.

I hope I helped you have a better idea on how this all works.

20. smilefr

smilefr

Hi!

Added a new shader for the sun (it is now an actual object instead of a simple flare):

52.jpg 51.jpg 53.jpg

21. TOBII_Rickard

TOBII_Rickard

Will this become a game or is it aimed at the asset store?

22. smilefr

smilefr

Hi!

I plan to make a game with this, the project was not thought to be used by someone else. After i release the game and am finished with the project, I might think about it.

23. smilefr

smilefr

Hey there,

A new video is avaliable!

24. Serinx

Serinx

Are you a giant or is that just a really tiny planet? While typing that question I realised it makes no sense.

Let me try again. Are you a giant relative to a human, or is that planet really tiny compared to earth?

Either way that's awesome :)

25. smilefr

smilefr

Hey thanks!
    In the video i am a giant (around 200feet tall), if you pay attention you can see some very small trees (the detail manager removes them when the camera is too far).

The planet itself is also relatively small, it actually is more at the size of a moon.

26. ensiferum888

ensiferum888

This is probably one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in Unity!! Congratulation you have an amazing talent, I can't even begin to understand how you went about making this.

Keep us posted I can see something great coming out of this!

27. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

Wow.... That actually looks really really good haha

28. smilefr

smilefr

Thank you guys!

I am working on a first playable demo (with actual gameplay)

I am getting inspired from Shadow of the Colossus, this one is a bit like Phalanx, here is a preview:

Sorry for the small bugs you see, I have fixed most of them yesterday but I couldnt wait to upload the video :D

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  29. smilefr

smilefr

New video!

30. smilefr

smilefr

Hey there, new Updates!

- Planets now rotate around the sun!
    - New close water with reflections
    - New LOD System, WAY more performant and precise than the previous one.
    - Improved the atmosphere and terrain shaders.

31. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

Have you thought about adding multiplayer of any kind?

32. smilefr

smilefr

Hey there,
    Yes this is in my mind, ultimately I would like to make it a procedural MMO, I am working several generators includind a town generator, a humanoid generator (uses UMA) and an item generator.

Here are some screenshots of the latest updates (New atmospheric fog, and new texturing method for terrain)

33. smilefr

smilefr

New update!

- Added atmospheric fog
    - Added procedural clouds
    - Added a new tree/detail system and a tree/detail shader
    - Improved the water
    - Fixed many visual glitches

34. smilefr

smilefr

Hey there! New video!

- Added Networking! You can see other players and chat.
    - Added ingame interface!
    - Improved the lod, the atmosphere and the animation system.

35. Fireking883

Fireking883

This is absolutely amazing! Looks like my kind of game! Good work!

36. smilefr

smilefr

Hey! A new video is avaliable, i am working on the gameplay of the game:

VIDEO

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    DizzyTornado likes this.