Search Unity

Infinite runner motion controller

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by SeanKilleen, Mar 3, 2015.

1. SeanKilleen

SeanKilleen

Hi All,

I am new to unity and new to the forum. I have run into an issue so i hope you can help me.
    Firstly, I am a software developer by profession so I can program but am new to 3d Maths an the unity engine.

I am trying to make another subway surfer style infinite runer and jsut can't get the controls to work properly.

What i would like to do is have 3 lanes and each time the user presses the left or right arrow the player will move into the relevant lane. As it stands, I have to keep my finger on the arrow for the player to move the correct distance. If I let go the player will stop between the lanes.

Can anyone see an obvious fault in the below code?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Kogar

Kogar

The code has a nice structure for the beginning. Instead of having two variables for left and right i would use one position variable lanePosition(enum or int: -1, 0, 1)
    Then it is easier to lock/switch onto one lane after a keypress. Just have to check if you are at a border value after a keypress and then keep the border value.

Currently you have left and right that only get activated when you press the corresponding arrows. But nothing that sets a variable for center lane or keeps your variable after the key is released.
    Code (csharp):
    1. bool right = Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.RightArrow);
    2.      bool left = Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.LeftArrow);
    So instead of these two bools increase/decrease the variable on the corresponding key.
    for example
    Code (csharp):
    1.  if(Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.RightArrow))
    2. {
    3. if(lanePosition+1<=1) lanePosition++;
    4. }
    then instead of having to write multiple newPositions for left/center/right
    Code (csharp):
    1. float newPosition = Mathf.SmoothDamp(transform.position.x, pathRight.x, ref xVelocity, smoothTime);
    you can write something like
    Code (csharp):
    1. float newPosition = Mathf.SmoothDamp(transform.position.x, lanePosition*2.0f, ref xVelocity, smoothTime);
    and don't have to differentiate your paths with UpdatePaths()

SeanKilleen likes this.
  3. SeanKilleen

SeanKilleen

Thanks Kogar for the help. The problem was that the control flow needed to be in the "if" block for the movement to continue. A valuable lesson learned. :)