Search Unity

IndieEffects: Bringing (almost) AAA quality Post-Process FX to Unity Indie

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FuzzyQuills, Sep 2, 2013.

1. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

WARNING: Depending on when I will be releasing the new version of this pack, the new version will be 4.6 only. Sorry for any inconvenience!

This is because every time a new version of unity comes out, I usually get it on release day, so again, sorry for any inconvenience caused by any new releases in future.

On the plus side though, I might sneak in some stencil-buffer based effects! :)

2. DK Reigns

DK Reigns

Yeah I done it but my camera just went to solid white when I enable the effects...If I removed it, the camera switches back to normal. I have 4.5.5 Please help :(

3. huynhke

huynhke

Hey FuzzyQuills!
    I'm a bit confused. I attached the C# Bloom script and moved around the threshold and amount with with Image Bloom (also tried star) in the Bloom Shader slot, but I'm not seeing anything change in playmode. :(

4. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@DK Reigns: Really? It should work! :) Please... Oh wait, did you set the texture size? If it's at 0, this will cause the screen to turn white!

@huynhke: Please check the texture size is set correctly. If that doesn't work, then see if the JS version works. If the JS version works, then... my C# porting guy must have stuffed something again by accident... :D

Either way though, if both don't work, then please show me a screen of your inspector tab. that way, I can look for any wrong settings that might cause issues.

And which download did you use?

Eric2241 likes this.
  5. MysterySoftware

MysterySoftware

I absolutely love your package! Took me a few hours to port everything to C# but it was worth it. My Unity Indie scenes never looked this good. Thank you so much! IndieEffects.png

Eric2241 likes this.
  6. DieLopz

DieLopz

Hi, i recently downloaded your Image Effects Package, and then i installed it on my project.
    But the problem is when i try to add Depth of Field and test it, it shows me a texture of one of my models, also that happens with almost all the effects, and what should i put on the empty spaces in the code, help Please

7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@DieLopz: Check your PM box :)

@MysterySoftware: I can tell the SSAO's in there... but is that MY bloom affecting the tree on the right?

And also, which download did you use? if it is the GitHub version, please upload the C# scripts! :)

If you can do the upload for me (& Eric2241, he's the one who owns the repo) then pop the scripts in a folder marked "C# scripts" or something, then make a pull request. One of us should be able to then pull it in! :)

8. MysterySoftware

MysterySoftware

No, that's actually just the DoF on top of my sun glare effect :)

Yeah, I used the GitHub version but I thought there already was a C# port of that?

9. boderless

boderless

A.. i read all Manual and i trying to use DOF. but it just seems broken.. it looks like Just Blur and objects seems Low Resloution Polygon.. if you can give WebPlayer Scene to Download.. That is very good..

Attached Files:

10. MysterySoftware

MysterySoftware

Up the TextureSize of the base class and tick "DNRequire" :)

11. DK Reigns

DK Reigns

Yes I did put the texture to 1 or 2 or 5 still it doesnt works :(

12. RBN

RBN

Whenever I try whatever effect of this package, I always get this:

Trying to read pixels out of bounds
    UnityEngine.Texture2D:ReadPixels(Rect, Int32, Int32)
    IndieEffects:OnPreRender() (at Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js:112)

I didn't change any settings whatsoever, just simple adding the "Chromatic Abberation" effect for example just causes this. So does any other effect. Selecting "old version" fixes it, but it makes the game very very very low FPS.

13. SterlingStudios

SterlingStudios

I have the same exact issue at @RBN above me. I'm trying to use the SSAO Effect, but I get a pink screen with "Trying to read pixels out of bounds" error message in the console. :(

Please help, I really want to use this!

14. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

First no Dx11. Second you have to put the screen size height in the texture size option in the indie effects settings. Not a good setting to have because it will not work on another screen size. Not for me at least.

Also all effects crash Unity since I updated to 4.6.

Eric2241 likes this.
  15. MysterySoftware

MysterySoftware

@Baldinoboy I got around this by reading the screen size with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. textureSizeX = Screen.width;
    2. textureSizeY = Screen.height;
    in the Awake-Method.

And the effects actually work for me, even with DX11 enabled, on Unity 4.6

16. Eric2241

Eric2241

Hey guys!
    I host the project on github so if you have any improvements you've made to this project feel free to contribute to it! The link is in the original post on page 1!

Cogent likes this.
  17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Hi! Are the effects not working on 4.6? Once I find time (Starting an experiment with vertex-lit lighting... :D) I will produce a cleaned-up version with far better performance, IMO. I shall call it... 3.0! :D

Anyway... for those having trouble with DoF, make sure DNRequire is checked in the options.

@DK Reigns: The texture size needs to be something like 256 x 256... :D

18. Eric2241

Eric2241

Or any power of 2 for that matter. I think one could use 512, 1024, 2048, etc.

19. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Yea... but to use the higher ones, one needs a giant screen... :D

Eric2241 likes this.
  20. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I am getting this problem in a few of my scene that I was trying out with Indie Effects since switching to 4.6:

Never had a crash like this. What is weird is that in other scenes in this project it works just fine. So I guess it is a problem with the scenes and not with Indie Effects.

21. Eric2241

Eric2241

That's one more thing indie effects can do. It can be used on 70 in tv monitors! (Of course one would need a big wall too!)

22. Eric2241

Eric2241

Interesting, maybe some uncaught exception.

23. huynhke

huynhke

Hey,
    Here's the ss of my inspector. This is attached to the camera. Am I missing something here to make the bloom work?

Attached Files:

24. Eric2241

Eric2241

Yeah you're missing the bloom shader. It would go in the bloom shader field.

25. Eric2241

Eric2241

What the water you're using? Nice scene by the way!

26. huynhke

huynhke

Nice this worked! But I think the problem now is, what's making it so pixelated? I understand that bloom makes things a bit blurry, but instead of blurry it becomes pixelated? :(

27. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@huynhke: Yea... that's becuase it's using POT sizes. using "useOldVersion" captures the entire screen instead of a low-res version, but depending on your res, a performance drop may occur.

Again, when I get around to it (I have been experimenting with how much I can do with Fixed-function shaders! :)) I will clean up and release version 3.0, which will include a bloom effect I engineered for another game. (It uses the approach Nintendo Wii games often used, which is a bloom mask alpha-blended with the viewport)

28. huynhke

huynhke

@FuzzyQuills ugh yes! That looks so good! wow, thanks so much! :O

29. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

So, what performance numbers are you getting? o_O

30. huynhke

huynhke

Oh I don't really have a big scene or anything. It's a very small contained FX ahah so my frame rates are over 60

31. MysterySoftware

MysterySoftware

@Eric2241 Thanks :) The water I'm using is my custom made 'Ocean Shader Plus'. You can get it on the asset store ;)

Eric2241 likes this.
  32. Eric2241

Eric2241

By the way I think the C# ports are already in the GitHub repo.

MysterySoftware likes this.
  33. MysterySoftware

MysterySoftware

@Eric2241 I know they are. But I really didn't like the way they were ported so I created a port of my own. I think when using C# you should make use of it's way more advanced feature set. So I used a few enumerators to control the update frequency of a couple of effects, utilized a global namespace for the pack, a helper class and created some custom inspector scripts :)

Eric2241 likes this.
  34. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

OOO! :eek:

GIVE... MEEEE! :D

Just Kidding! :) But that is definitely something we need on the GitHub Repo!

35. Eric2241

Eric2241

Please put that into the GitHub repo.

36. Torigas

Torigas

Just in case you guys ran into the issue with too big textureSize not letting you start the whole thing:

Code (csharp):
    2. //put this in the ImageEffects Start() function
    3.         // to avoid the thing not starting due to too big textures:
    4.         int viewportMinSize = System.Convert.ToInt32(Mathf.Min (myCamera.pixelHeight,myCamera.pixelWidth));
    5.         if(textureSize>viewportMinSize)
    6.         {
    7.             //Debug.Log("Texture size "+ viewportMinSize);
    8.             // Get nearest lower log 2
    9.             // http://graphics.stanford.edu/~seander/bithacks.html#IntegerLogObvious
    10.             int r = 0;
    11.             while ((viewportMinSize >>=1) != 0)
    12.             {
    13.                 r++;
    14.             }
    15.             viewportMinSize= 1<<r;
    16.             //Debug.Log("Texture size "+ viewportMinSize);
    17.             textureSize = viewportMinSize;
    18.         }
    19.         else{
    20.             Debug.Log("Viewport min size"+ viewportMinSize + " Texture size "+textureSize);
    22.         }
    23. //... and the rest of the class

Eric2241 likes this.
  37. Eric2241

Eric2241

Cool I'll update the github repo with that! Thanks!

38. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Good idea! Believe it or not, was going to put it in myself, but then again, I don't do much with anything these days... :D

Also, how's about modding it to check if tex size is below 128? would solve some people's issues leading to a zero texture size! :D

Eric2241 likes this.
  39. barbe63

barbe63

i can't manage to use the GitHub version since i'm having tons of bug when i copy the asset folder. I am probably too dumb for that. Can you please make an Unitypackage like the old version or explain the method to install it properly?
    Thanks a lot for your sharing btw!

40. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

well... thing is, for some odd reason, that 'asset' folder is actually a full unity project. just copy the 'indieeffects' folder out of that, and most of the errors should vanish... :D

As for a .unitypackage version... When I finally get around to it, I plan to completely rewrite the main module so it is less buggy and a heap faster than the current version

41. EkenLofG

EkenLofG

Hi I get an issue when I am trying to use it and the problem are that I get this error code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js(150,12): UCE0001: ';' expected. Insert a semicolon at the end.
    Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js(156,16): UCE0001: ';' expected. Insert a semicolon at the end.
    Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js(157,37): BCE0044: expecting ), found '>>='.
    Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js(157,40): BCE0044: expecting ), found '1'.
    Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js(157,41): BCE0043: Unexpected token: ).
    Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js(157,46): BCE0043: Unexpected token: 0.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ps: I can't even play until it's fixed so if anyone could help me with this I would be glad and thankful. :D

Braza likes this.
  42. Ace_1999

Ace_1999

I'm getting the same error from the current version pulled from git.

Edit- By deleting that section of code I got it to work.

The shaders work great, except there's one issue I've noticed with the bloom shader: it seems to make the UI generated in NGUI and 4.6 GUI disappear. This doesn't happen with the anti-aliasing shader.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    EkenLofG likes this.
  43. EkenLofG

EkenLofG

Thanks but it has a few bugs, but it almost works :D (But if someone has an answer to how I can fix the script I would be very thankful if I could get that help.) :)

44. mightybob

mightybob

Just thought I should give you a heads up, anti-aliasing is messed up. Tried adding it to my camera, the screen shows black and it gives this error: "Trying to read pixels out of bounds".

45. Eric2241

Eric2241

Oh yeah sorry about that, just wanted to give a full example project.

46. Adnan601

Adnan601

Hi when are u gonna finish working for a new version of indieeffects for unity 4.6 it doesn't work that well with the current version

47. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Adnan601: Sorry about the delays... I finally picked up the pace on a major game I'm working on, and have been spending all my time on that. So once the workload dies down, I might be able to get back to it. Point being, 3.0 isn't just a simple re-write... I plan on cleaning out a lot of stuff with it!

@Ace_1999:
    Could be the render queue... :D If it's set to overlay, either get rid of it, or change it to something else.

Eric2241 likes this.
  48. DRRosen3

DRRosen3

This is exactly what it was looking for since I'm using Unity Free. However, is it possible to achieve the Bloom effect only on certain objects in the scene, and not the entire scene itself?

49. Eric2241

Eric2241

Nope as its a screen effect, sorry though you could try render layers on different cameras.

50. clevermango

clevermango

Hi there,

Im getting these errors having unpacked, and running the scene within. Would anybody have a fix for this?

Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js(150,12): UCE0001: ';' expected. Insert a semicolon at the end.
    Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js(156,16): UCE0001: ';' expected. Insert a semicolon at the end.
    Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js(157,37): BCE0044: expecting ), found '>>='.
    Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js(157,40): BCE0044: expecting ), found '1'.
    Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js(157,41): BCE0043: Unexpected token: ).
    Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js(157,46): BCE0043: Unexpected token: 0.

Many thanks!