Search Unity

[IN REVIEW] Morph3D Studio - for use with the Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female avatars

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Greg-Bassett, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all Morph 3D users!

I have just submitted a new Unity asset that extends the Morph3D Character System within Unity called Morph3D Studio.

I was a hardened Fuse user and when Mixamo sold Fuse to Adobe I was left looking for an alternative character creation solution for Unity.

The timing of the MCS release was perfect, the product is simply amazing, however it has some workflow shortfalls compared to Fuse when creating custom characters.

So I decided to remedy these issues by creating a Unity Editor asset add-on for the Morph3D Character System.

Please take a look at my pre-release showcase video here...

MCS contains 350 BlendShapes, and finding the BlendShape you want to modify is not always easy, until now!

Morph3D Studio allows you to click any part of the MCS character model in the Scene view and be provided with only the BlendShape sliders for that area of the body.

This is extremely useful and speeds up character creation massively.

Just click anywhere on the Nose, Eyes, Ears, Cheeks, Forehead, Eyebrows, Mouth, Chin, Neck, Shoulders, Arms, Hands etc and access the required BlendShape sliders immediately!

Morph3D Studio also includes Viewport Presets, which enables you to switch the Scene view to focus on exactly the part of the body you are editing simply by clicking a button.

Morph3D Studio also includes many other presets, notably the Skin Color Presets, these provide fast changes to the Skin Color, select from common skin colors, or choose a completely custom color from the Color Picker.

Morph3D Studio is coming to the Unity Asset Store soon, along with a FREE Lite version for use with the MCS Lite assets.

Check out the Morph 3D Studio user guide, check it out here. :)

SolarFalcon and sashahush like this.
  2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Got email notification that your new thread posted in the forum while I was responding in the main morph3d/mcs thread, so figured I'd just copy and paste here instead of posting over there... heheh...

I'm seeing those errors on 5.3.1 and I just did the reimport a couple of days ago when I installed my MCS character and packs. MCS works fine. In looking at Morph3DStudioEditorLite.cs, it looks like we are using MORPH3D.COSTUMING but never actually using it within the script. Is that just a leftover using statement from Pro? In looking at assembly explorer in VS, I can't find the setCharacterLODLevel anywhere within the Morph3D stuff. Is there something else studio lite should be including?

3. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thanks for feedback, I have just uploaded a version exported with Unity 5.3.2
    Morph3D_Studio_Lite_v1_0_RC4.unitypackage

Please let me know if you still get errors?

4. tapticc

tapticc

Hello, I am more interested in a runtime version of this product and read somewhere there might be an MCS Runtime product, is this correct? :) Tiny problems spotted so far, when I first added the script to the character, the body area image buttons for the head were showing the feet, I had to deselect and reselect the gameobject for these to work. Also spelling mistake in the message (tut tut ;) ) "Your using Morph 3D Studio Lite" should be "You`re using Morph 3D Studio Lite" of course :)

5. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Hey Greg... No joy.. I'm not a bleeding edge person so not on 5.3.2 yet. I would still be on 5.1.3 if ORK Framework hadn't forced me to upgrade.. lol

At any rate, installed RC4 and still got the same error... For S***s and giggles, I went ahead and did a reimport of the Morph3D folder and as I expected, messages cleared for a second and popped back in again..

In exploring the assembly containing M3DCharacterManager, the only LOD options I'm getting to popup when I type data.LOD is currentLODLevel and SetLODLevel. It also shows setCharacterLODLevel(float) and setCharacterLODLevel(int) in red. I'm assuming that is because you are using them with data. in that manner in this script but they can't find the definition. Are you developing with and older version of the MCS character set? Or maybe a beta version? I'm wondering if some of the variables coming up in error have either been deprecated or are new but not actually in the release version?

6. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Interesting... I have tested with the Lite assets from the Unity Asset Store, but my full versions of the Male and Female assets I bought and use from the MCS website store?

7. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Morph3DStudioLiteErrors.jpg

Here is the full error list. This is on a Unity 5.3.1p1 machine running Windows 7 x64. Running with the latest MCS Female for now.

8. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Yes, I am currently finishing up the runtime version, so watch this space... :cool:

Thanks for grammar/spelling spot! :oops:

tapticc likes this.
  9. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

My MCS Female was from the asset store when it was on sale a couple weeks back. Matched the last bit of Christmas money I had left... lol

10. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

its so weird, because I developed the scripts on my Mac using Unity 5.2.1, but I have tested the packages on my Windows 7 computer with Unity 5.3.2 and not seen any of these errors?

I even created this YouTube to show the reviewers it working on my computer? :( jump to 6m 38s for my asset import...

11. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Please try a new Unity project with just the MCS Lite Male or Female from the asset store, this matches my Lite assets which I have been testing with.

12. tapticc

tapticc

I think its also worth testing adding the morph character before adding the new addon, I know this sounds obvious but specifically I mean check the morph3d character has all of the scripts attached as i had missing script errors

13. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

As I said before, Morph character is working fine. Been using it since the weekend in testing... ;)

Creating new project now.. Give me a few.. Pulled another all nighter last night battling insomnia.. Starting to slow down a bit... heheh

Greg-Bassett likes this.
  14. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Ok... Found the culprit. There seems to to be something different with MCS Female from the asset store. I've got the most up to date version but it definitely looks like it is the issue. I created a new project in 5.3.1 selecting both MCS Male Lite and Female Lite. Once the project finished installing them, I right clicked and reimported the Morph3D folder. Once it finished reimporting, I installed RC4. No errors. Installed MCS Female, errors came back. Reimported Morph3D folders, errors still there.

So it looks like the Morph folks need to maybe resubmit the asset store version. Downloading a fresh copy now. But since I had the issue and the asset store reviewers had the issue, I'm guessing a resubmit is needed. In any case, I'll report back again once I'm able to test after downloading a fresh copy.

15. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Confirmed.. Seems to be MCS Female from the asset store. Downloaded a fresh copy and still get the errors after reimporting (after initial import).. Morph folks may want to resubmit both Male and Female with versions from their site. I don't have the full Male to test, but better safe than sorry. :)

16. tapticc

tapticc

I tested with male lite only, didnt realise it would work with full version

17. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thank you so much for getting to the bottom of this!!!!

@cspencer3d could you please arrange for someone at Morph3D to get the latest versions of the MCS Male and Female updated in the Asset Store so they match the ones available in the Morph3D Store.

Many thanks in advance!

Greg

18. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

No problem.. Always glad to be of service! :) Can't remember if I mentioned it or not but that was a win 7 x64 machine running Unity 5.3.1p1. After fighting with it in my main project, I did as you suggested and just installed MCS Lite versions. Morph 3D Studio installed with no problems. Once I installed and reimported my MCS Female pack, it bombed with the errors from screenshot above as it did in my normal project with MCS Female. I went to the Asset Store window in unity and downloaded MCS Female again, installed, reimported with the same result. Didn't have MCS Male to test but I'd be happy to if @cspencer3d wants to throw me a copy! lol :p KIDDING! (but seriously, feel free to Chris! lol)

Let me know if you need help with anything else Greg. :)

19. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

It will work with the full versions if you got them from morph3d.com, hopefully Morph3D team will update the versions on the Unity Asset Store soon.

If you have the full versions then you will want to use the full version of Morph 3D Studio.

Greg

20. tapticc

tapticc

Could you put my mind at rest with something please? I see how reliant the system is on id numbers, what happens if the numbers are changed? What happens if we get new models which have completely different id numbers? Are characters such as the Woodland Elf Man (or whatever he is called) done using the same id numbers so should just "work"? :)

21. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Which id numbers are you referring too? Studio works with all the MCS characters and packs.

22. tapticc

tapticc

There are hundreds of id numbers, i think they are morph ids?

23. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Oh I see, yes there are 75 blendshapes with the Lite versions and 350 in the full versions, these are fixed ids and fixed descriptions.

In M3D Studio I have made some of the descriptions more readable, by adding spaces, I have also assigned the ids or BlendShapes into groups for each part of the body, so that for instance
    when you click the arm for instance, only the BlendShapes relevant to the arms are displayed.

24. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Actually, I am thinking that the versions on the Unity Asset Store are newer than what is available on the morph3d.com store.

I will contact Morph3D to see if I can get the same versions as the Unity Asset Store, reading the release notes for v1.0r2, it makes sense with the errors we are seeing and the displayname not being found and the LOD changes.

---1.0r2 Fixes and Features---
    -Figure Improvements:
    -New LOD stack

-- 40k, 20k, 10k, 6k, 3k, 2k
    -Eyes share base figure Skeleton
    -Improved Maps -Rewrite of Skeleton system to address the following:
    -Massive Performance Gains
    -Reduced Memory Usage
    -Reduced Garbage Collection
    -Support for Multiple MCS Figures
    -Fixed "floating eye" issues
    -Added Version and Revision functions to M3d Character Controller
    -Changed “displayname” property to “ID”
    -Improved transitions from Editor to Runtime Morph fixes:
    -Editor to Runtime issues fixed
    -Add Clothing at Runtime to morphed figure
    -Fixed Prop Rotation
    -- props now start in their desired positions and can easily be modified)
    -Meccanim Fix
    -- figure now correctly imports as Humanoid for Meccanim
    -Removed references to “locking”
    -- now using built in Unity method for enabling and disabling components
    -Normalized return types for MCS Character API

25. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Would kind of be nice if they deprecate them but not all out remove them for a few versions.. At least do something like Unity does for a bit after something has been deprecated. Glad it was found before the asset was approved. I imagine it saved all the hair you would have been pulling out from everyone reporting problems. :)

Hopefully it is an easy fix and you can quickly get it resubmitted!

26. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Absolutely! Thanks @Shawn67 for your help! Love the Unity community!

I am just waiting for Morph3D.com to get back to me and allow me to download v1.0r2 of the Male and Female full characters from their website Store.

As soon as I have 1.0r2 I can update my scripts and resubmit my asset to Unity. Whoop, Whoop!

27. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Cool.. I'll pop out a couple messages too to see if I can get them to update them as well. Once you can get scripts updated, give me a yell and I'll help test on my end with the asset store download of the female pack. :)

Greg-Bassett likes this.
  28. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Will do @Shawn67! Thank again for your help!

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  29. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Apologies for the lack of info over last few weeks, I am almost ready to resubmit Morph3D Studio to the Unity Asset Store.

As well as making Morph 3D Studio compatible with MCS v1.0r2, I also have made some improvements to my code which will help with the development of another asset I am creating for MCS characters which will allow you to select areas of the character at runtime and display sliders to edit the relevant BlendShapes for that area of the character.

v1.0r3 has just been released as well, and thankfully both the MCS and MCS Lite assets are now both v1.0r3, which makes my life easier! ;)

Will let you know as soon as I submit the updated versions of Morph3D Studio to Unity, and I will post a link to the Morph3D Studio Lite version as well so you can download and try it out. :)

30. neguewatt

neguewatt

Hello, I am new on unity and I find your Morphing solution very interesting.
    Two questions: - Where can I find it?
    - What is the installation procedure (MCS compatibility, Unity, code addition ...)?

Thanks for your feedback, best regards.