Search Unity

Importing DAE from Sketchup works for me but not my students

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by lukasaurus, Jul 24, 2014.

1. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

I can create a simple box model in sketchup, texture it and import it into Unity and Unity will import the texture no problem. My students do the same thing and it imports the model without the textures. I'm thinking this is a privilege issue, but regardless of where we save the textures (usb drive, desktop, local drive) it won't import the textures for them, but does for me on my computer. Any suggestions (otherwise they will need to manually import the texture and assign each texture to a material).

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Anything useful in the Editor.log file for your students?

3. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

I'll have a look. Where would that file be located? In the project folder?

4. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

There is a page here that shows the various log files:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

Also, from the editor, if you switch to the console window, and then use the icon top left, you'll get a list of links to the various log files.

5. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

I checked it, doesn't give any errors. On my account, it shows the loading of the texture. On the students account, it doesn't, but there is no error. It's really frustrating. It's not a sketchup issue, because if I export it to fbx or 3ds it still doesn't work (going to use DAE because unity support for it has improved and sketchup stops exporting fbx after 8 hours).

6. MakeCodeNow

MakeCodeNow

Have you double checked the texture paths in the dae? Often stuff like this happens when it has an absolute path that exists on your machine but no one elses (like perhaps your desktop including your username).

7. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

How can I check that? Would I just open the DAE file in a text editor?

8. MakeCodeNow

MakeCodeNow

Yep! Note that dae can be stirred gzipped so if it looks like garbage, gunzip it first.