Search Unity

Imperium Offical W.I.P(Open world sandbox RPG)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by brilliantgames, Apr 30, 2013.

1. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Yes, really great character!

2. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

See the world of Imperium(Alpha) for the first time in real time through a birds eye view! Test your machines performance and post your results here!

COMING SOON!

3. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Heres some lovely use of mesh rocks for the mountain. :)

4. GeneBox

GeneBox

nice rocks. I'd love to get my hands on the test build, looking forward to it.

5. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Soon!

6. Mr. Flusher

Mr. Flusher

Dang man! From the last time I looked at this and then looking at it again a few weeks later all I can say is WOOH!! This is looking WAY better. I have a request though, remember earlier on when I suggested you make a weather system? I was just thinking, could you possibly modify your AI Spawning Editor system to make random weather events? Because that would be awesome! Keep it going man!!! :D

7. chrisx84

chrisx84

wow just wow for Unity. Would love to try it myself.

8. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  9. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Would love to see some results for the new benchmark! Please post them here, this will help me get an idea of how things are doing performance wise!

10. mightymike5321

mightymike5321

Average fps of 50 - 60 on Fantastic settings with 1920 resolution.
    Looks good so far!

11. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Good stuff! Sounds close to my score!

12. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

13. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Any other results? Please let me know!

14. GeneBox

GeneBox

Ok, ran the benchmark build and... It looks great, my average FPS was at 37 - 40 at 1680 x 1050 and graphics set to fantastic.
    Upon pressing the escape button the game crashes though, doesn't want to close properly, might be something you would want to look into.

15. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I just used 'Application.Quit()) Not really sure why windows thinks its crashing.

16. Cazual

Cazual

1920x1080 - Fantastic mode - 80 Average FPS.

btw Esc crashes here as well after showing 2 buttons top left for 1 second.

17. virror

virror

Same in my own game with the Application.Quit(), think its some kind of bug from UTs side...

18. ogg9376

ogg9376

Looks very good so far to me. I ran it at 1280x720 widescreen, graphics on good. Got about 15 fps on average, which is what i play skyrim with a reduced texture set at so quite playable to me. fps went as high as 26 passing the statue and never went below 10.

Edit: Maybe make the bird bank in turns in the flyover. Also was wondering if you will have male and female character choice.
    Bookmarked. Using geforce 9200 with 16 shaders according to GPU-z. Hope you will include settings to keep gpu load at current.
    Looks good so far.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  19. Matt1988

Matt1988

Ran the benchmark on fantastic, 1400x1050 screen res: 83 FPS average ranging from 40 fps to 165 fps. Never went below 40 and I believe that was the transition from night to day.

System specs:
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
    CPU: AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~3.4ghz
    Ram: 10240MB

Great work, it looks fantastic!

Some criticism that is meant to be taken as constructive, not derogatory.
    As some previous users have said, the trees are a little monotonous, more variety would help greatly! The pines look a lot better than the oaks, maybe focus on those? I know trees are pretty difficult to do on such a massive scale =/. The terrain textures need some work, the tiling is obvious and noticeable especially from a high vantage point. The lack of shadows hurts a bit but I know that when you get your pro license that will improve greatly!

I am anxiously awaiting to see some more activity in this project!

20. primus88

primus88

Nice job digging up a dead thread ;)

21. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

4 processors? :O

Deleted User likes this.
  22. Matt1988

Matt1988

I figure that if I can reignite an indie developers passion for a promising (and probably dead) project by showing interest and offering my advice, I feel it my duty to do so. I've read the entire thread and saw no indication, aside from the last post date :|, that the OP had dismissed the project, so there is some hope? :D

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  23. Matt1988

Matt1988

That's how my DirectX Diagnostic Tool indicates a quad core processor. :)

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's great, obviously as a fellow RPG developer I can see how much time and effort has gone into this..

One thing I will say and I have this exact same issue.. It still looks like it was made in Unity. It seems Ni-On impossible not to have that *Unity* look, even though for the most part we have swapped everything out. Shaders / partially the lighting etc. etc.

25. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Yes this project is on hold ATM. I'm not sure exactly what is happening with it. I definitely need to use this map for something though, that is a for sure.

If you want to see a game I actually released thats similar to this, check out Soul Tyrant. Its slowly gaining popularity, and its free to play.

Version 2 was just released last night. It got 3k hits over night on Online3dgames. Thats just one of the 100 sites this game is on.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  26. adamh1

adamh1

wow both games look fantastic, how did you make those terrains in the soul tyrant game? keep up the good work!

27. Aerik

Aerik

Looks awesome, this has inspired me to work on my own game. Keep up the good work!:)

28. Cairn

Cairn

FPS started around 120fps, and then increased as the owl continued flying. Went up to about 160 fps or so down to about 100 fps throughout the flight of one circle. Seems to crash when I hit esc rather than just exiting, and the last time I tried it, it froze my entire machine. Had to do a cold shut-down, but it may or may not have been your program because I've had to do that periodically, not just with your program.

I am using a GTX Titan graphics card and a 3970x processor, 64GB RAM, 64bit Windows 8, not 8.1, but 8.

I put the graphics up to "Fantastic," which was the highest as far as I could tell, and used highest resolution, 1900x1080, I think.

Every time I ran the program, the fps was a bit different, but the range I mentioned 100fps to about 160fps is consistent for each try. On the first try, I did go down to 80fps at one point, but then it went up to 200fps a few seconds later, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

SO, with that said, are you still going to finish this game or what? I notice these posts are from a year and a half ago. Did you abandon the game, or did you get busy with life, doing other things or something? You obviously have a pretty promising start here.

You ever heard of Wurm Online. Imagine your game with the intricate crafting system of Wurm Online. You'd have one of the most magnificent comprehensive RPG games ever created.

And then if you implemented something like multiplayer through LAN, and/or IP connection online, or even simply through a small server program like Minecraft does it, you'd have made something that isn't really readily available anywhere else.

For example, the Elder Scrolls series, which it seems this game must get some of it's inspiration from, is one of the best RPG games out there, and they simply refuse to implement multiplayer, and actually actively discourage it. One team was actually working a Skyrim/Oblivion mod to implement multiplayer, and some sort of legal trouble happened because they're no longer working on it. I think they're the same team that also made a third-party ESO server after the official client was released. I think that's where they got into legal trouble, however, either way, they've stopped working on everything they were doing with Elder Scrolls. That's why you'd really have something that could get very popular, especially if it was multiplayer.

Another suggestion:
    I've always longed for an RPG first-person game, of any time or place that implements a fundamental physics and fundamental AI within the world, and then allows the player to use that world in whatever creative way the player can think of.

An example would be, imagine Skyrim. Imagine they made a rule that you could tie a rope to any object that is cylindrical for at least so many inches of real space, or a foot in game-space, or whatever they would have to do to make it work. That would be like a standard physical law that the game permits. Now, maybe they made this rule initially so that you could craft a grapple to help you climb a wall or something. However, because they made it a rule that any cylindrical object could have a rope tied to it, the player could choose to tie the rope to an arrow. Now, using the physical rules regarding throwing a grappling hook that the rope is attached too, the rules regarding the arrow could be the same, that the rope would extend as far as the grapple was thrown or as far as the cylindrical object was thrown, or as far as the arrow flew. And of course, it could be used to pull the arrow back along with whatever was attached to it because another basic physical law of the game would be that if you moved anything that was attached to something else, the object it's sticking to or into would also have to move, and thus you'd end up dragging back whatever the arrow was stuck into.

I'm leading into a point here, so bear with me. Well, lets assume that such physical laws were programmed into the engine of the game.

Now, lets say we have a dragon flying overhead, you know, because this is still Skyrim I'm using as my example. Well, of course the player has to actually wait for the dragon to land where the player can strike them with weapons to kill the dragon.

However, the player suddenly gets a new idea. Tie a rope to the arrow, and stick that arrow into the dragon whilst it's in-flight or maybe after it lands if the player can't get a good shot. Then when the dragon takes flight again, the player can hold onto the rope due to whatever physical law allows the player to climb any rope-vine-pole-like object that the player can reach, and the player literally climbs up to the dragon in mid-flight, uses whatever physics allows the player to grab uneven edges and crevices in rock-faces, and manages to get up on to the dragon's backside, ties the rope to one of the scales sticking out or perhaps the base of the tail, or perhaps a horn on it's head, or perhaps even it's ear, as the phyical law of the game allows tieing to any such similarly-sized objects. And then the player proceeds to either ride the dragon as it returns from whence it came or proceeds to attack the dragon right up there in mid-air.

Well, suddenly, what the game-maker intended is not the only use that can be conceived by the player. Suddenly, we give the player the freedom for some creativity and ingeninuity on their part that wasn't necessarily planned for, but patches can still be made for if the new idea doesn't seem to work quite well due to some other issue unforeseen in the program that's hindering it.

I realize such a grand under-taking would be huge, especially in the physics engine part of the program, but I thought if I can give you the idea, who knows what you might be able to do with it.

I'll check out your other game there if I can find it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014