Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Imperium Offical W.I.P(Open world sandbox RPG)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by brilliantgames, Apr 30, 2013.

1. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Imperium

Public Imperium Benchmark Now Available!

See the world of Imperium for the first time, in REAL TIME and test your machines performance and post your results here! Just state, your average FPS, and what graphics settings you had on.

Windows 64 Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65183439/Imperium Benchmark(Alpha).zip

Mac Download link(Coming soon)

Imperium Benchmark Video

Official Trailer

BG Twitter https://twitter.com/BrilliantGames

BG Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BrilliantGameStudios

About Brilliant Games And Myself

Hey everyone, welcome to the official W.I.P page for Imperium. Before I talk about the game, let me introduce myself and give a little history. My name is Robert Weaver, and I run Brilliant Game Studios. I also run a recording studio called Brilliant Red Studios. For years I have been developing and selling assets on the asset store. What you probably don't know, is that these assets aren't just for selling on the store, they have been the tools and ground work in preparation for this game and others like it in the future. So you can say this game has been in the works for near 2 years now. Well I am finally ready to dive straight into a project that was originally too big for one man.

The World Of Imperium

Imperium is an open world, first person, sandbox, single player, RPG. I started creating the world of Imperium in the fall. When I finished the basic terrain it was put on hold for a few months due to other projects and releases. I have not tried to measure the exact size of the world but its around 3-4 kilometers across. The alpha version that will be publicly available soon, but will only give the players access to about one quarter of the world, but I assure you this will still provide hours of gameplay. However, this game is still in the early alpha stages, much about the world and its size will change I'm sure.

The Story Of Imperium

The story of Imperium is fairly minimal. At the beginging of the game your entire family is killed right before your eyes because of a family tree debt way down the line. The king held your family responsible for this 100 year old debt and killed them. Through the rest of the game you create your own story. You can either gain power and trust from the king and get close enough to kill him, or you can raise your own army and overrun his kingdom. These choices are up to the player. Many of the quests in the game will be dynamic, as well as events.

The Technology Behind Imperium

Like I mentioned before there are many assets I have built in order for this game to function. Many people in the Unity forums have debated whether or not a large open world game is really possible in Unity. Well I assure you it is! Below I'm going to talk about a some of the systems running Imperium.

Path-Finding
    Dynamic Navigation is the pathfinding engine for this game. This is the asset I pride myself in most. The entire world is covered in 9 high definition Navigation Grids that switch according to the player location. I do not wish to toot my own horn on this one, but the entire world of 9 grids(Each grid is 700x700 nodes) only takes about 2 minutes to build, and runs perfectly smooth in the game. If you're a developer in need of great pathfinding, please just go out and buy this path-finding engine, its hard to convince people of the greatness of my pathfinding, but just believe and go get it. You won't regret. :) Heres a link to the thread if you're interested. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/154639-Dynamic-AI-Project-Navigation-Released

AI Behaviour
    Advanced Fantasy AI is my oldest package. Yet I still love using it. Its open source, easy and fast to set up, and great smart Fantasy Style AI. Its not for every game, but if you want Fantasy Style AI that works instantly out-of-the-box, then this is it. I will be making modifications to this AI as the game progresses, and may include some of these changes in an update. Heres a link to the thread. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/125753-Fantasy-AI-2-0-RELEASED

LOD And Dynamic Loading
    In order for an open world game to function, you can't simply place thousands of objects in a scene and expect good performance, this is where Smart LOD and and my dynamic loading systems come in. Smart LOD handles the larger objects in the scene like large rocks, cliffs, and buildings. I have also used Smart LOD to load sections of areas. Smart LOD can instantiate(Load off the hardrive) levels of detail rather than ever level already existing in the scene.
    For Smaller detailed objects around the world, I designed a system just for this game. It works the same as the AI spawning system I talk about below, where the prefab used, the position, rotation, and scale of the object are saved, but the game object itself does not exists in the scene until the player is in range. Here is the link for 'Smart LOD'. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/148432-Smart-LOD-RELEASED

AI Spawning Editor
    The AI spawning system ended up being more complex than I originally anticipated. I created an editor where you can place, edit, change AI, but the AI don't actually exists outside the players 'boundaries' during gamemode. The system remembers all the positions and settings of the AI and instantiates them according to the players position, all the information about each AI is personal and is stored. I have yet to push things further and have AI that explore when the player is not around, randomizing things like this could give events that are completely unpredictable, like having enemies run into eachother and random battles would occur.

The Bounty System
    Just like the spawning system, the bounty system ended up being more complex than originally thought, but the basics of it are done for the most part. When i started creating the bounty system, I wanted it to be as 'real life' as possible. Lets be serious, its not like this world has a state of the art C.S.I at their disposal. So no bounty will occur if no one sees, and even if someone that isnt a guard sees this, he must physically go to a guard and tell him. THEN, yes now that guards know, but what about the rest of the world? Bounty will not exists outside of the town for at least a few days, so you have time to either clear your name, or kill every guard in that area if you so please. :)

Levelling System
    This is one of the area's that is in very early stages. Information on this is coming soon!

Screen Shots

Just another sun rise in the world of Imperium

New day night cycle(Sunset)

Day night cycle(night time)

W.I.P of the main city. Right now it lacks detail, its current purpose is more for background

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Official Trailer uploaded.

3. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I would love to hear feedback on progress so far!

Rob.

4. dtg108

dtg108

I really have no criticism, everything looks B-E-A-U-tiful. Very nice.

5. Mr. Flusher

Mr. Flusher

Looks nice so far. What I'm sure you already know is that you need to improve on the world. I can see a bunch of models being re-used over and over again such as trees and some buildings. Though I'm sure you will eventually improve on that. I do have a few other ideas, such as changing weather patterns (Everybody likes a little rain now and then). Adding more kingdoms to the world so maybe you can become a good friend of one or many kings and convince them to unite and overrule the main king. And find a animator to improve on those animations such as block, fighting, and running. Hope you can use these ideas. KEEP IT GOING! ;)

6. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thank you both for the feedback. Yes I already have a ton of content. Its just a matter of rigging everything and actually putting it in the game. For now I am just one person so i can only go so far, but I do hope to make a kickstarter if I get enough following.

If you support this give the video a like and a share!

7. Mr. Flusher

Mr. Flusher

Will do man. Wish I could help you with the modeling, but I am just a beginner at it, and I'm sure you probably want more experienced people helping you out. Good luck with your game! :)

8. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thank you.

9. Myhijim

Myhijim

Brilliant work mate, I myself am working on a RPG and I am about 3 months in. I know how annoyingly difficult programming it all is so congratz it looks amazing.

(Not trying to join, I have a team of my own) But have you thought about getting a few more people working on it? Could speed up your production majorly.

Myhi

10. NinjaRubberBand

NinjaRubberBand

Looks amazing! Only one thing: When you hit an enemy it doesen't really look/feel like you are hitting them. If add something that makes visible it would be awesome! You could add a little bit of blood on his chain amor or he begins to get blood on it after some hits, so you know that he is near dying.
    Sorry for the bad grammar, im not from an english talking contry.

11. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey, thanks for the kind words. Well, the amount of time and money spent on this game, largely depends on on the following and attention the game receives. I need as much exposure as I can get and would appreciate any shares or likes from anyone. Ideally, I would like to get this game to the point where having a kickstarter would make sense, and use the funds to hire some awesome artists and maybe a few other programmers(As well as purchase Unity pro, this is all done on Free).

So if anyone likes what they see so far, I would be very grateful if you were to share/post/like the video trailer. Thanks. :)

12. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks for the feedback. Yes this is all in the works. There is a small dust patch when you hit something, but blood will come soon, as well as the characters reaction to getting hit. This game is still in very early stages.

13. GeneBox

GeneBox

Looking great! With some shadows and more detail this game will look gorgeous! Keep it up, I'm definitely following this one.

14. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks. Though I am using Unity free..

15. carking1996

carking1996

Then start lightmappin! :)

16. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Then the normal maps on the terrain will be gone. :( Plus I'm already creating a 24 hour clock... But I may or may not have some genius secrets up my sleeve for shadows. ;)

17. piluve

piluve

Really nice work! If you create a game as fun as the demos in your kits , it will be amazing!

See you

18. Korda

Korda

@Brilliant My biggest issue with your game is that it is basically The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. The warriors, mages and skeletons look like they were all ripped straight from that game and while that might be a point in your favour for quality it is not for originality. I think you need something to separate yourself from the Elder Scroll series, something beyond a different story. Otherwise why would someone play your game over Skyrim or Oblivion who have done it before and better?

19. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Well heres where my opinion differs. How many other first person fantasy RPG's are there besides Elder Scrolls? In fact very few. The reason I choose first person is because combat is far more intense and personal. If this was 3rd person or top down you probably wouldn't have related this to those games(Except the thousands of other RPG's using 3rd person and top down). I suppose other RPG's with warriors, mages and skeletons is unheard of right? ;) This goes the same way with all first person shooters being COD, or all female fronted bands being paramore. This game is going to be nothing like those games for the most part. Yes those games set the bar high for a first person RPG, and I never expect to have a game even comparable to theirs, but so does every other game in the AAA world.

20. paulojsam

paulojsam

Great Work, atmospheric preview and engaging gameplay :) Keep it up :p

21. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thank you. :)

22. GeneBox

GeneBox

Yeah I got that, which amazes me even more. If you can get your hands on a pro license the game will look even better, that's what I meant. :)

23. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

24. Myhijim

Myhijim

I don't like the way you sit on your high horse. I love Oblivion and Skyrim, more to the point why WOULDN'T I play this game, why do you think there are things called Genres. In all your infinite wisdom, tell us an ACTUAL example of what you would change, instead of just saying it should be. What do Skyrim and Oblivion have in difference, OH THATS RIGHT..... STORY!

Anyway, looks amazing brilliantgames, sorry about this little rant but I hate to see people like this putting down games for no apparent reason.

25. runner

runner

havent seen Jousting in these type of games in ages and would like to play that element of game play.

We Indies should stick together so with that Good Luck with the game

26. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks for the kind words guys. Lets not get into any arguments on here though. Remember the best way you can support me is by sharing and liking my video. :)

27. keyboardcowboy

keyboardcowboy

After looking at this....I almost stopped working on my game. :D

28. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Oh no don't do that haha.

29. AustinK

AustinK

Whoooaaaa, I don't think he is sitting on any high horse what-so-ever. I felt the same exact way. I think you may be the one on a high horse?

A Genre is completely different than an art style. He is actually giving you a VERY constructive critique in my personal opinion. And by the way you took it, I am willing to bet that you don't work with others very often. I think you reacted pretty rude, and I don't believe you are sincerely sorry for your rant.

Name one thing that made Korda look as though he was on a high horse.

In this industry, whether you're indie or not, you have got to learn to take criticisms. People aren't going to beat around the bush or put it to you lightly. If something seems stupid, or a little off gameplay-wise/art-wise, or like a rip-off, or just plain ugly, people will tell you. He didn't say anything about the quality of your game, he specifically point out that he is criticizing your originality in the game.

Sorry, but I am not sorry for my rant...

30. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I would prefer to keep the arguments off this page... It sounds like you may have misunderstood that Myhijim is the OP, I am. I responded to the original comment. I do appreciate constructive criticism. But please keep arguing to a minimum.

31. landon912

landon912

He could have given more constructive criticism then : change the game so it doesn't look like Oblivion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On topic, your game looks great for a early alpha. As said earlier, we could do with more indicators to whether or not we hit something. Your work is pretty impressive.

~lanDog

32. AustinK

AustinK

Well, in that case, I do apologize to you, brilliantgames. I just simply watched the trailer and went onto skim through some of the comments without bothering to look at the OPs name. If I head realized this wasn't hit thread in the first place, I wouldn't have opened my mouth and started an argument in the first place. Again, sorry for my idiocy. hah.

Thanks for the correction, and keep up the good work.

33. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks. I would like to demonstrate some gameplay features as well as the world itself in the next few weeks. Things are moving very fast with this game. Much has changed already since I posted the trailer. Including a beautiful 24 hour clock, increased detail in terrain, new areas ect..

34. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I would also like to add that I have worked very hard to keep performance as high as possible. I have a medium end gaming PC, it runs the game an average of around 110-150 fps. So far the only time the FPS really drops below that is on a sunrise or sun set.. This is because the moonlight and the sunlight have to crossfade, which means there are 2 active directional lights. This can really affect performance with such a large terrain and detailed normal maps. Still doesn't go below 90 FPS. And this is when I have the graphics settings in my game maxed.

35. Korda

Korda

I wasn't saying what I did to be mean, I was genuinely trying to be helpful. When it comes to selling this game many people will have the same opinion as me. I love the fact that this is a first person rpg but so far I haven't seen anything to separate it from the Elder Scrolls. Examples to change? Maybe implement a combat mechanic as found in Mount and Blade or War of the Roses. Maybe set it in a fantasy setting that is not a middle ages europe. Maybe make the magic system unique, IE: drawing runes with your mouse to cast spells.
    I in no way meant to put this game down, I think it looks great but I also have some concerns and that was what my original post was about.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  36. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Incredible looking. Great work!!
    Bookmarked! :)

37. cscotttaakan

cscotttaakan

Really cool. Probably want to touch up on the animations and movement because it looks like they kind of glide across. Everything looks really good though!

38. Myhijim

Myhijim

Thank you for claryfing, I apologize for my hasty and assumption based response. I'm not too fond of the drawing runes thing :/

@OP
    Doesn't go below 90FPS, wow, you really are brilliant!

39. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

The reason why you havent seen anything really original yet is because the ground work for this game is still being developed. The game itself is in such early stages. I don't want to share too many of my ideas at this point because I still don't know exactly how many of them I can promise at this point, mostly because of time and money. I do promise you that it will be a unique experience, just can't talk about too many of the details right now.

Like I have mentioned before, the more support I can get on this game, the more time and money can be put into it. And the more unique game play elements can be added. So share and like if you want to see this go somewhere. Thank you. :)

40. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

You da bawss man.

41. GeneBox

GeneBox

Awesome, I'm subscribed and hooked! Waiting for a new video / screenshot :)

42. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Good stuff.

I would like to mention that I am open to ideas for the game if anyone wants to share. I would like this game to be partly built by the public, remember its so early, anything can change at this point. :)

43. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

44. runner

runner

who's day/night sky system are you using ?

45. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Mine.

46. marcaurelio74

marcaurelio74

Hi Brilliantgames,
    very good work so far.

I'm interested in a technical question :
    have you created a single large terrain and manage the performance with LOD system or you have small chunk's of terrain and you load them accordingly to the player position?

Thanks

47. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Its one large terrain. Its pretty much the largest size terrain Unity would allow. Then objects are handled by my LOD system as well AI and smaller objects are instantiated around the player.

Edit: Theres also a background terrain now as well.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  48. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

A ton of hours have gone into Imperium the past week.

Some new features and systems include, a custom console for commands and cheats to speed development, 24 hour night cycle, basic RPG elements, integration of several more characters into the world, improvements on details in terrain and environment, and tons more.

Very excited to start showing more of this game!

49. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

New area in Alpha section of map. :)

50. kalamona

kalamona

Wow I finally see the undead knight in action :) Nice work, man.