Search Unity

Image effects and shadows disabled on Ubuntu???

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by techmage, Nov 21, 2013.

1. techmage

techmage

So I ran my Unity app on Ubuntu for the first time and have found that it has the shadows and SSAO disabled.

It's running on an Intel HD 4600 and the scene is not complex, so I know it should be able to handle it just fine.

In the Player.log it does say
    GL: disabling shadows on Intel 9xx (buggy)
    GL: disabled framebuffer blit, antialiasing, SRGB on Intel

So I guess this is all disabled cause it's intel integrated? Only thing though is this is a brand new haswell chip with the latest Intel HD 4600, not an intel GMA950 as I asumme that 'Intel 9xx' line thinks it is. Supposedly the haswell hd 4600 gpu is quite capable of doing these effects. Is there any way to force enable them again or something? I really need these effects to work on this platform on ubuntu.

2. techmage

techmage

alright I just figured out how to hack around this by editing the hex of the compiled unity executable, and shadows and SSAO work absolutely just fine with no issues on the intel hd 4600. Can this hardcoded blacklist of effects to intel GPU's on linux be taken out now?

3. aaronflippo

aaronflippo

I'm curious if anyone from Unity has seen this or replied?

If I'm understanding correctly, these more-than-capable video cards are being limited artificially by the engine?
    I fear this may be affecting our game as well - lots of Linux users are reporting graphical issues, and I'm seeing these lines in their log files as well.

4. pyrodeo

pyrodeo

I am seeing these lines in the logs too on a Debian build with 4.3.3f1. 32-bit and 64-bit.

Intel 5200. I saw that 4.3.1f1 was supposed to fix this, so maybe it did for Win/Mac, but I'm still seeing it here.

AA and blits are pretty important to my game, so this is a bummer.

Here's a relevant issue to vote up, so maybe that will help: http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/deferred-lighting-doesnt-work-on-intel-hd-graphics

EDIT: If you hex-edit the executable like this page says, you can get AA/Shadows/blit: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com...hadows-on-Linux-for-Intel-Ivy-Bridge-graphics

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  5. twofivesix

twofivesix

I've got this issue too in my game. I'm testing on the Steam Machine given out recently at Valves Steam Dev Days. It's powered by a Haswell chip with Iris Pro (HD5200) graphics.

Upvoted the bug :) Hopefully this can get fixed soon, I don't fancy hacking the executable everytime!

Ian

6. FlaxSycle

FlaxSycle

Also getting this issue with our game! It's very annoying, the Iris Pro is a pretty good videocard but we're missing effects. Would love to see this addressed!

7. Griautis

Griautis

AI & Physics STE Unity Technologies

Hey,

Could anyone of you report a bug and post the case number here? Don't forget to upload a project which can reproduce the issue.

Best wishes,
    Ugnius
    QA Team

8. Waz

Waz

This is a deliberate "feature" of Unity we're asking to be removed, not a mysterious bug. After listening to the Unity talk at Steam Dev Days, I was hopeful SteamOS (and Linux) might be taken a little more seriously. The devs can grep for "disabling shadows on Intel 9xx \(buggy\)" if they've forgotten where the hack was in the "legacy code" (I heard that scary expression a lot in Unity's Steam Dev Days talk).

9. XRA

XRA

have same issue here, SteamBox, the BRIX Intel Iris Pro 5200... ridiculous issue that needs to be fixed, spent a day trying to figure out what was wrong, ended up finding the hex edit trick and it solves all my rendering issues.