Search Unity

I would appreciate some feedback - Spelling Spells, typing game.

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by nakiks, Apr 26, 2015.

1. nakiks

nakiks

The game is cross platform and I really would like an honest opinion about it as a typing game. It got featured in 30 countries on Windows Phone (even though it is not updated like iOS, Android & Web Player versions). It was a hasty project made in a couple of months for an original participation in a Microsoft - Unity contest.
    Unfortunately the name choice was poor and search engines correlate the title words poorly to this game.
    "Spelling Spells" on Google Play for Android
    "Spelling Spells" on AppStore for iOS
    "Spelling Spells" for Windows Phone (the app is Universal - also available for Metro)
    "Spelling Spells" Facebook browser version - as you know Chrome doesn't work with Unity Web Plugin anymore.

If you are bored you can just check the Intro & Trailer.

RoyalCoder likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I watched the video and it's interesting.

Spelling on a device that actively promotes the acceptance of misspelled words. :)
    Personally typing on the phones is kind of like a necessary torture imo, but I like the game concept.
    Based on the video I think you have put a solid product together. I really like when a simple concept is wrapped into a fantasy story concept, ala Puzzle Quest.
    I think some of the text might be displayed a little to fast for younger players.
    Some of the sweeping and long shot camera work is un-needed but isn't terrible.

The main issue for me is the character models. Nice models but I've seen them in at least a dozen games at this point and they're starting to loose there appeal - regardless of the genre and how they are utilized.
    It's like the effect Mario delivers. - Yawn - next.
    Regardless of the game he is in, world, smash, strikers, cart. etc.

Overall I think it's a cool concept, designed well and delivered with only very minor flaws.
    Nice work.

nakiks likes this.
  3. nakiks

nakiks

Thanks (y)
    You are right. And it seems it is very hard for most people. When you are the only one working on the project and testing it, difficulty level is very subjective.
    At least the Boss Fights offer some kind of challenge :p

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The difficulty may also fall into a weird realm of - hey this is a texting tool - misspelling words is accepted, so spelling correctly on a phone is 1. hard enough without being timed 2. overlooked 3. something the millennial generation isn't used to doing regularly so it might not be fun. :)

For difficulty level testing - suggest creating a demo and questionnaire for your next project. A great way to get feedback from individuals on specifics about your game.
    Example
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...-me-by-playing-this-game.323487/#post-2097533