Search Unity

I want to publish a model on Asset Store, but i don't know how to create textures in ".tga" file.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raza125, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Raza125

Raza125

I tried it in Photoshop but Unity team does not accept my model for publishing. Please anyone guide me, how can i create textures that unity team accept my model. Thanks in advance.....

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

You're talking about textures, but then saying your model was rejected? What was the message the Unity team gave you when rejecting your asset?

3. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

photoshop should be just fine to create .tga textures. Assuming you need an extra channel (handled in .tga) for whether a transparency map, specular map ( legacy shader) or glossiness / metalness ( standard shader in specular or metalness workflow from unity 5). you just need to go in the channel tabe and duplicate one of the channel ( there are 3 by default :R/G/B, so a fourth one is the alpha channel), then copy / paste the texture you need in that channel. Once done don't forget to enable that channel, should be shown as a red ish overlay, then save as .tga with the 32 bit option. And boom, voilà.
    hope this can help.

Raza125 likes this.
  4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

They wouldn't reject something for using Photoshop textures; on the guidelines page it specifically says "Textures should use a lossless compression format such as PSD, PNG or TIFF." I would recommend Photoshop format because that keeps layers intact, so if you want to make changes it's far easier. The downside is larger files...normally that's not particularly relevant, but now that I think of it there is a size limit for asset store uploads, so maybe that's what's happening here.

--Eric

5. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

can we see your 3d model?

6. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

7. cannon

cannon

I wa under the impression Unity needs Photoshop installed to handle PSDs? If that's the case you should export PNGs as well for people without Photoshop.

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No, it doesn't need Photoshop installed.

--Eric

cannon likes this.
  9. cannon

cannon

Nice, 9 years in and TIL

10. tswalk

tswalk

I don't recommend using TARGA files via Photoshop... they made some significantly breaking changes to how alpha channels are support (a while ago I believe). Most likely due to the fact that they (Adobe) now handle masking per layer and do not composite all masks to the required single alpha channel necessary for file and that the file format has been kinda' slated as obsolete. The exporter in Photoshop just simply doesn't export the format correctly any longer.. especially for 32bit, the alpha gets fubar'd.

well.. at least that's been my experience.