Search Unity

I protest to the way asset store deals with people who submit content to Unity.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Afassolas, May 23, 2014.

1. Afassolas

Afassolas

Dear Sirs,

during the last year I have submitted to the asset store of Unity 3D two packages which were both declined.

In the first case the reply was that my asset was not very interesting for the creation of a game. I want to state that it was the solar system with high quality textures and even the sounds of the planets of our solar system orbiting around the sun.

I got this reply when at that period the asset store had 2 similar (and inferior to my work ) assets about the solar system. I then replied that in the asset store things like cubes are being sold for 2 dollars and that there were 2 other solar systems being sold at that period. I got no reply.

That was very frustrating I found the asset store’s reaction unfriendly and not professional. During this year I have worked hard to make another asset pack to be sold on the asset store. I read a lot about how I would go about doing this and I finally submitted it. It is called Sci-Fi Quarters.

The first time it was rejected asset store said that I had used the embed media option in the 3D program that I used to export the fbx files and this is not acceptable. I have yet to find a clear note somewhere in the Unity site stating that the models exported should not use the embed media option.

I then resubmitted the project this time without the embed media option enabled. I manually re created all the materials from the textures one by one . A strange and tedious process to say the least. After that my project was rejected with the asset store admin saying that I had used small textures 256x256 and 512x512 for some of the models and that I should make bigger textures 1024x1024 to include more materials for my models.

This is contradicting what your site says here under Textures :

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/09/02/art-assets-best-practice-guide/

I went on and changed all the textures as I was told by the asset store admin and re submitted the project with all my textures to be 1024x1024.

Again it was rejected with the following answer :

Your models and textures are not optimized. Please research and work on that.

I would like to say that submitting content to the asset store is not some king of knowledge test. It would be in the best interest both for your company and the people who submit content to create a very clear step by step tutorial or guide with clear and not general submission guidelines instead of having to give impersonal and almost insulting answers like that last one I got , to people who eventually are the best advertisers of your product.

The answer I got back from your asset store made me think I was a pupil who failed a test and my teacher encourages me to work more.

That should not be the case.

I am a working person putting hours of work to submit something that eventually will bring money to me and to you. If you just dismiss me like a fly on your forehead instead of stating what is the specific problem that made you decline my submission sooner or later people will turn to other similar products.

A professional way to deal with me would be for the person who rejected my submission to tell me which models or what specific thing has the problem so I can fix it and re submit not have me guessing what is wrong.

With the answer I got back from you, what do I have to do ? Guess which models have problems? Fix them all over again?

This is too frustrating and I can imagine me having paid for a Pro version of Unity and be dealing in such an impersonal and insulting (for my time and effort) way by the asset store without even knowing what is the problem so I can fix it.

At the moment I am very disappointed about the way people in the asset store are dealing with people who submit content. I am sure that you realize most of us don’t have the time and luxury to play games and do guesswork about what is wrong with any given submission, we need as much information as possible in order to fix problems and resubmit.

You are loosing money each time you deal with someone like me as a fly on your forehead.

Thanks for your time , I hope my letter goes up to people in charge in Unity cause something tells me that their philosophy on your main product does not match the way you are dealing with people giving their work in the asset store.

Antonis Fassolas
    @fassolas
    antonis.fassolas@gmail.com

twobob likes this.
  2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I've passed this on to the Asset Store team.

Afassolas likes this.
  3. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hi Antonis,

Thanks for the honest feedback.

I apologize for the poor response you received from the Asset Store team-- we do have an extremely intense volume of content to vet, and at times we are not able to provide the depth of information we really would rather provide.

We'll have a look at it, and in the meantime I hope you'll understand that, while we do wish to provide you with helpful service, we are trying to make do with the bandwidth we have.

Please hang in there while we sort you out.

Cheers,

--
    Caitlyn Meeks-Ferragallo
    Asset Store Manager

Unity Technologies
    345 Broadway Street
    San Francisco, CA 94133

Afassolas likes this.
  4. Afassolas

Afassolas

Today is 9 of June and I still got no answer from your part, it is sad to see that we are treated like nothing and there is no respect to our work.

5. herman111

herman111

How can they say uninteresting...there is stuff on there , that looked like a little kid did it

twobob likes this.
  6. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

(I prodded them again.)

7. jtok4j

jtok4j

As a fellow asset publisher, who can testify to the amount of hours and tweaking it takes to make the final product ready, it would be nice to have an update to this thread from the creator, in the hopes that this issue has been helped along... :)

8. Jaimi

Jaimi

I hope you can get your asset on the store, my submission went without an issue. But I have to ask - what sort of sound can a planet possibly make orbiting the sun?

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Oureesssuusuuooooooue of course.

10. ashenbee

ashenbee

Some composers made music from the magnetic fields of the planets as recorded by the Voyager spacecraft, and released it on vinyl (later CD, of course):

11. Afassolas

Afassolas

here is an example

12. Afassolas

Afassolas

No these sounds are not composed. Mixed maybe but are sounds that planets and stars make with their electromagnetic fields

13. Afassolas

Afassolas

They never got back to me or gave me any specific reasons for not accepting it

twobob likes this.
  14. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Just for your information: if you don't want to embed media, import it in unity once, all materials and textures will be extracted. Save it again and the material names will still map to the generated materials. Move your textures out of "modelname.fbm"-folder into something more readable (like "textures") and that's it.

gfoot likes this.
  15. Sykoo

Sykoo

This is why I stopped trying to upload content to Asset Store, I just sell them via PayLoadz.