Search Unity

I never knew... WebGL seems to only work in Firefox

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GarBenjamin, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Just a quick note that from a discussion I was having on GameJolt I found out that many people could not play my game. Why? Because apparently the Unity WebGL is only supported by Firefox browser at this time. At least that is what a mod over there said.

I have used Firefox for years because I just think it is a much better browser than the others. Anyway, I just tested it with IE and sure enough a pop-up appeared from the game itself it seems saying the browser was not supported for this Unity WebGL content please try a browser that supports it such as Firefox.

Is Firefox the only browser that supports Unity WebGL?! :eek:

Basically I am asking that ^^^^ and also just letting other people know because I am guessing I am not the only person who did not know this until now.

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

I can play WebGL in Chrome and Edge, too. Chrome is always the first browser I test my WebGL builds in, since it's my default browser.

Kiwasi and GarBenjamin like this.
  3. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Apparently a lot of folks playing games in web browser are using IE.

Thanks for the extra information. I just found it a bit of a shock. I figured IE would have been one of the first supported since it actually comes with Windows and the average person out there will be using it... probably.

4. orb

orb

Sucks to be them. If they're forced to use IE, they're probably at work and shouldn't play games ;)

5. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Well I'm looking at it more from a marketing perspective. It's a waste of my money and time to bring in gamers and they cannot play through no fault of their own or mine.

I haven't started on marketing yet other than some tweets so I'm glad I learned this now. Simple solution. I'll add a download version as some have requested. Then should be good to go.

Just thought I'd share so everyone else can keep it in mind too. Anytime we release a WebGL demo, etc we should also provide a desktop download option.

Many of us use Firefox at work. Many use IE. Some use Chrome supporting the other evil empire but that is their choice. At any place I've worked one of the first things I do is install Firefox. Sometimes there is noise from the folks trying to control everything but that is how it goes.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Martin_H likes this.
  6. iamthwee

iamthwee

I think the future of webgl and recently unity player which is set to be deprecated right, doesn't look good. The webgl builds are huge and lacking features, terrible for 3D stuff and even this doesn't work in all browsers. I think web browsers are cutting back risky content, such as unity player, and thus imposing their own limitations, not sure if webgl has the same exploit possibilities - it probably does but considerably less. These web browser limitations are only going to get worse or better depending on how you look at it.

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/10/08/unity-web-player-roadmap/

Personally, I've never had an issue, I think the web should really only be about html,css and js, and sometimes I even frown at js because of those pesky popups but realise it's just how it is.

You can always release your build to the public as an exe, or mac or linux build. Just people have got to be trusting to go ahead and install it.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

My understanding was that the lack of features is the fault of the browsers.

orb and iamthwee like this.
  8. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yep or perhaps the browser vendors are doing it deliberately to dissuade other people using webgl features. Which to me is a great thing IMO ;). The whole "cross platform thing, and it runs in the browser" was never going to work anyhoo. No complaints from me.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Have you ever used Visual Studio Code? :p

10. iamthwee

iamthwee

I tried it once with vb.net lol, but today I only use sublime for all my coding stuff, much lighter and superb for my mac mini.

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's written in HTML5 and runs in a lightweight portable browser that is distributed with it. Best existing example I know of.

12. iamthwee

iamthwee

Well I have to assume you know what you're talking about and believe you, but you're not making/running potential 3D content with it that runs on all platforms? :p

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Have some proof. Just scroll to the bottom for apps built with it. :p

http://electron.atom.io/

I've suggested this route in previous threads as a way to support platforms that otherwise aren't supported by any engines.

14. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

The situation with browser games is a disaster. Two computers with the same OS, same browser, same settings, one will work and the other won't. Ask me how I know. Steam or nothing.

GarBenjamin and Ryiah like this.
  15. QFSW

QFSW

A game Arrowx did recently (marbles one) worked in firefox and chrome for me, but maxed out my i7 on chrome and had an fps of about 3
    so yeah it worked but not really

GarBenjamin likes this.
  16. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I never used to be into web games (other than some retro sites) but from a developer perspective I found it to be a highly convenient way to get feedback and learned to really appreciate the Unity Webplayer. But yeah this end of plugin stuff I think is kind of a nail in the coffin for web games.

It sucks that the folks in charge at the browser companies wanted to get rid of the plugins without having sonething to take its place that worked just as well or even better.

17. goat

goat

It's all those people that refuse to upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 because of they are afraid of spying in Windows 10 and a touch screen interface. In Windows 10 Edge is default browser.

Kiwasi likes this.
  18. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Is it any wonder that Microsoft is finally cottoning on to the benefits of forced updates?

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

Forced real-time protection too. If you disable Windows Defender it will automatically enable itself again after a while.

Kiwasi likes this.
  20. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I have 8.1 and keep getting the reminder to update to 10. But yeah I am one of the people who doesn't want that crap. I already spent time when I got this laptop scanning the system disabling loads of stupid stuff that was running and of no value to me. I don't need a freaking Cortana or whatever it is on here talking and crap. Nor them having monitoring on my laptop for purchases and having me do fingerprint or whatever it ended up being verification.

I guess there are people who like this stuff but for me it's like just make a dang OS that comes up with a desktop, handles multi-tasking, device drivers, etc and launches applications when I ask to launch them. All of this other crap is just extra junk that I don't need or want.

willemsenzo likes this.
  21. Ryiah

Ryiah

I've had those messages disabled for months now using an app (GWX Control Panel) someone developed. :p

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

GarBenjamin likes this.
  22. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

So you are not doing the Win 10 upgrade? For some reason I was thinking you liked it.

23. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm heading down a different route. One of multiple Windows VMs. Windows 10 is alright but some aspects annoy me and I've reached the point where having a single edition of Windows is too much of a restriction. Far too many applications I own are completely non-functional on newer releases of Windows.

willemsenzo and GarBenjamin like this.
  24. goat

goat

After they fixed a couple of bugs in the Windows 10 initial release of Aug 2015 I think there is no doubt that Windows 10 is better then any of the prior Windows. As I've allowed Windows Update to do it's 'thing' since Windows XP or whenever that doesn't bother me in the least.

Far more aggravating is all the app updates on Android from the GooglePlay Store but mainly for bandwith usage and the daily repeating of it. Google technically knows much more about me that Microsoft does. That doesn't bother me either. I also asked the GooglePlay staff if they have a way of preventing fake downloads like from the 2 apps I withdrew from GooglePlay because of such fake popularity scripts and they said no.

AlanMattano and GarBenjamin like this.
  25. Ryiah

Ryiah

Do you know what my biggest complaint actually is? The title bar is bright white. That wouldn't be a problem if the majority of my applications weren't using dark skins or if I didn't prefer to run some of my games in windowed mode.

There are methods to "correct" the problem but their roundabout nature usually messes up another aspect. I just never understood why Microsoft didn't open up the theme system to their users for more control over the appearance.

Socrates likes this.
  26. Tanel

Tanel

Mine's like this,

and I don't really remember fiddling with any theming. Maybe it was an older version that only had white?

Ryiah likes this.
  27. Ryiah

Ryiah

Seems you're correct that newer releases may have this fixed. There isn't much in the way of news articles covering minor features, but a couple of them suggest it was changed. I'll have to allow my laptop to update itself and find out.

Tanel likes this.
  28. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

You're running out of time. I got a prompt an hour or two ago saying I had about 8 hours left to get my free upgrade. Woo hoo! Free upgrade to more junk. More monitoring and tracking. lol

29. Ryiah

Ryiah

Long term I'll still have to purchase licenses because I won't have my "mainframe" built till early next year. :p

30. orb

orb

You won't necessarily need to update, as the dark theme has been there since last year :)

Ryiah likes this.
  31. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, but it only works with some apps. Others like File Manager seem to ignore it completely.

32. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

Win10 File Explorer:

33. Ryiah

Ryiah

GarBenjamin likes this.
  34. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Ha ha. The things people do.

I never grabbed the update. No interest in it. Honestly don't know why people get excited about these things. We've been able to surf the web, play games, read & write email, build sites, create games and other software, run businesses, write books, etc, etc on our home computers for a long time now. Really don't need a new OS every x years. Microsoft's time would be better spent on sticking with one OS and focusing on massive performance improvements and patching their security holes from then on.

Ony and Ryiah like this.
  35. Ryiah

Ryiah

My interest is solely for DirectX 12 and once Visual Studio starts requiring it. Still won't run it exclusively though.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  36. Murgilod

Murgilod

I only installed Windows 10 so I can play all those "Xbox One exclusives" they announced at E3

37. orb

orb

The ones which aren't cancelled anyway ;)

38. Tanel

Tanel

Isn't that basically the plan with 10? That there's not going to be another major version and only updates here on out.

AlanMattano and Ryiah like this.
  39. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

No idea. That'd be cool though. Means when I get a new laptop in 7 to 8 years Win 10 should be good.

Tanel likes this.
  40. Ryiah

Ryiah

AlanMattano likes this.