Search Unity

I need vpn suggestion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeror, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeror

Jeror

I made research on this subject and decided to start using vpn. but don't know which one to choose, free or paid? I appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. Martin_H

Martin_H

If you want a vpn for privacy/security reasons, I'd stay away from all free services. Especially stay away from Hola unblocker.
    I did use hide my ass in the past, but I can't really tell you anything useful about it. I only needed it to get netflix before they launched in my country, but sometimes the connection was too slow for that. In the end it wasn't really worth the hassle to me.

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

VPN is normally associated with hiding sketchy activity, especially for piracy or for getting around region locks.

Piracy is generally frowned upon here.

What do you actually need your VPN to do?

4. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

because of censorship
    here in China google.com will just display "this website does not exist" in my chrome browser, also for everyone in sichuan province since 4 months now we can purchase asset on the store, but we cannot download them.

I have personally used astrill but their service is degrading since few month.
    then switched to express vpn which is my current favourite one.

5. Ostwind

Ostwind

I think the poster is a bot or manual worker just advertising the site based on the join date and other posts :)

CarterG81, Ony and Martin_H like this.
  6. Shorinji

Shorinji

When I was living in China, at the begining I was using StrongVPN, and I was happy with it. But the service got worse and worse and then it got blocked in China (or at least in my region).
    Finally, I rent a VPS in Hong Kong and installed my own VPN server on it. It's not that difficult to put in place, there are some tutorials on internet.

Perrydotto likes this.
  7. Jeror

Jeror

what a curious theory

8. Jeror

Jeror

i like to watch blocked sites

9. Jeror

Jeror

thanks i will take it into consideration

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Both of these involve getting around legal restrictions. I'm not entirely sure that Unity or the forums should be getting involved in this. Regardless of what we individually feel about web censorship.

11. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

there is no actual law in china that forbid you of using a vpn. and no person in china has been ever getting in trouble by the act of using it.
    Even the architect of the Chinese great firewall have been forced to use a vpn during a conference

CarterG81 and Martin_H like this.
  12. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Got ya. In that case carry on. It does make me wonder why have the fire wall in the first place, if it's legit to bypass it.

13. LaneFox

LaneFox

Because politics are stupid?

FrankenCreations and Kiwasi like this.
  14. jerotas

jerotas

I use boxpn because it's one of the cheapest and the quality and support is very good. I started using it when I lived in China.

Martin_H likes this.
  15. jerotas

jerotas

Most people don't bother (or know about) to buy a VPN there, too much of a hassle and most sites they want to see (chinese sites) are not blocked by the GFW.

16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That's probably as good as any other explanation out there.

17. CarterG81

CarterG81

18. CarterG81

CarterG81

LOL WTF? Talk about irrational assumptions.

I need your help guys. I don't know which one he should be classified under:

1. red scare.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm thinking #2.

"VPN!?!? This guy must be a bad guy! I should report this thread. I am a good citizen!" -Conventional Thinker
    Stages of Moral Development, Kohlberg

HarBenly likes this.
  19. HarBenly

HarBenly

My brother travels a lot and in October he was in china. Needed vpn to access a lot of websites there which were region locked or I guess they weren't allowed to access some of the social sites there. So he chose one of the top brands from Best VPN for China and it helped him figuring out which service would work there.

Ben.

20. anajames86

anajames86

I have been using Astrill and a dedicated IP. This works better than a shared one. I would recommend it for sure.

21. chriswal

chriswal

That's a clever move because nowadays it's really hote theme of protecting your personal info. And VPN can be a solution but you know that nothing is 100% workable. You just choose the best from it. I use http://topsecur.com/vpn/tor/ to secure my data

22. mysticfall

mysticfall

I use VPN most of the times. South Korea, which is where I live, is one of the few developed countries that imposes a censorship on internet. And due to copyright issues, I cannot access many of movie or music related services even though I'm willing to pay for them.

For instance, I cannot use Spotify without VPN at all, and Netflix offers only limited selection of their movies when I'm using the local internet.

I'd understand if they wanted to charge extra money for overseas users even though content piracy in my country is nowhere as bad as it is in China . But I think flatly refusing those who are willing to pay for a service is just stupid.

So, I have to use a VPN service even though it means I'm paying to make my internet speed slower. I don't like my online activities to be exposed to anyone that share the network anyway, so I try to put up with it.

P. S.: I use ExpressVPN but I'm hesitant to recommend it to anyone because I haven't used a lot of different providers for comparison. The only other service I used is HideMyAss and the service quality exactly resembled its name without the first two words, so I'd just tell people to stay away from it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    CarterG81 likes this.
  23. CarterG81

CarterG81

I agree. It is not just stupid, but encourages piracy, damages relationship between provider & consumer in the future, and is honestly just idiotic.

However it is common. Even among my own people, it is not uncommon for me to say "Please let me purchase your product/service for the exact price you stated." And they will respond "No." For the most asinine reasons, like red tape nonsense.

I remember one example, I wanted to buy two copies of a PC game (Steam Key) from GMG when they first released. It wouldnt let me, so I emailed support. They said their system wont let them sell a second copy. (They just charged your CC & emailed a key. Thats it.) But Nope. Nothing they could do. In that same email, they also stated not only that I cant buy two, but if I try to purchase it anyway i would be banned permanently. After my first & only email, just stating normally I was having trouble buying a 2nd copy. I wasnt rude or anything. I thought "Ah yes, threatening your customers when they want to give you double the sale for the products you sell. Genius!"

I just created a 2nd account & used a different email to buy the 2nd copy. I knew that would work. The Idiots. The entire system was automated anyway.

Another example, I saw an ad by namecheap for their wordpress package. I signed up & tried to buy it. From ad to sale - but wait! All sales are closed right now. For quite awile you cant get it, unless you already bought it earlier. Ad money well spent, right?

It is not abnormal for businesses to reject money/sales for absolutely no reason.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Martin_H and mysticfall like this.
  24. krishlarry

krishlarry

Try for HMA (Hide My Ass). This one is really great and effective.

25. Elzean

Elzean

I'm also in China, i have been using ExpressVPN for a few years now. Wihtout it in China you don't have access to google, youtube, facebook, twitter, and many other social stuff and more.

Martin_H and CarterG81 like this.
  26. aer0ace

aer0ace

I've been using Cyberghost VPN for working when I'm at the library or Starbucks. I have no idea if it's good or bad, but it's something. I'm using a paid plan, not the free tier. I should look at other VPN services at some point.

27. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

If you want to create a VPN to create a LAN across WAN you can setup a VPN server on windows. I did it last night to be able to play a old LAN only game with a friend. Just dont leave the VPN port open after, probably not very good for security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.