Search Unity

I need advice about Oculus vs HTC Vive

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by atmuc, Aug 28, 2016.

1. atmuc

atmuc

I am using Unity for 5 years. I want to start working on a VR game. As i see nowadays my target should be google cardboard style devices like Samsung Gear VR. I have a Shinecon glass and i cannot use it with Unity Editor. I need an Oculus or HTC Vive. In my country i cannot buy none of them from a store. Some people buy it from abroad and sell it. I can buy a new HTC Vive around $1300 and a used Oculus DK2 around $610. Oculus released CV1 and no one sells it in my country now.

Will Oculus DK be enough to develop VR games for 2 years?
    Should i buy HTC Vive for that price?
    Is one of these devices better on Unity Editor?

2. elbows

elbows

Oculus only promised that the DK2 would keep working through 2016. So be careful. It might work for much longer but it could be obsolete quite soon.

Vive is very good but I could only justify it's price for developing PC games that use the excellent hand controllers. It seems like overkill for use developing where mobile VR is the target.

3. atmuc

atmuc

Do you suggest another glass for mobile VR development?

4. atmuc

atmuc

Now i checked local store. CV1 is available for $1150. so CV1 is another option for my questions. can CV1 be used as an development devices like DK2?

5. Soul-Challenger

Soul-Challenger

6. atmuc

atmuc

7. elbows

elbows

Yes you can use the CV1 and other retail VR devices as development devices.

Generally I would recommend trying to develop on the same class of device as your final project is targeting, but since personally I've not really targeted mobile VR I can't comment much on the very best options for that.

8. atmuc

atmuc

My targetting devices cannot be used on development phase. i have to build, deploy and run on the phone. on development i need a device that monitors my game when i clicked on Unity Editor's play button. What Soul-Challenger suggested is a good workaround for my targetting devices to be used in the development phase. it is the cheapest solution for this. I still think to buy an oculus or htc vive, and I am still am not sure about oculus cv1 or htc vive.

9. Ostwind

Ostwind

How about OSVR HDK2

10. atmuc

atmuc

Do you have this device? it is cheap and looks great. Amazon sends it to my country. as i see it works like what Soul-Challenger suggested. i think all VR glasses works like this and unity handles oculus out of box. there is a client component in unity game and a server application on the running computer. client component sends VR output to server and server sends this VR output to the glasses.

is there any restriction to publish my game to android platform if i develop my game with razor glasses?

11. Ostwind

Ostwind

No I don't have it but seen people getting for sim gaming and development and they have been happy with it. However if targeting only mobile VR I would probably just get extra phone + china cartboard for the same price and use the mirroring apps if building is not an option all the time. Desktop headsets are in a bit different league in terms of accuracy and features

12. atmuc

atmuc

I just bought HDK2. 15-20 days later i will receive it. Mobile VR is my first step. i will make desktop VR games too.

Ostwind likes this.