Search Unity

I need a checkers project to test AI.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Piesk, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Piesk

Piesk

Greetings ladies and gents, I apologize if this is not in the correct section I am not entirely familiar with the forum yet.

For my "dissertation" type project I am looking at modern uses of artificial intelligence in strategy games and how it might be improved. To do this I am going to implement a machine learning algorithm in a simple strategy game (checkers), my problem being that I need a checkers game with which to do this first.

I found such a project on github that was specifically labelled that it was for use with AI testing, however I stupidly did not download it at the time or bookmark it, and now I can find absolutely no checkers project in unity that I can use for such a task. I'm hoping that some one might be able to point me towards one if I am using the wrong search terms to find etc.

Or even possibly if any readers might be happy to send me a checkers project that they have created. I will not be using it commercially, purely for AI research purposes within my project for academic qualification.

Many thanks in advance!

2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Sounds like all you need is just the board management, game management and basic movement rules. Those would be quite simple to implement. Then you can focus on the AI. You could do this easily in 2D just a grid/map (array) for the game board. 4 sprites for the red and black checkers and kings. Then go from there. There would be some time involved for managing player checker selection and so forth but should be easily doable in an evening or two of spare time. I do understand you might have little interest in learning Unity just to do this but hey you might just like it. I guess you searched the Asset Store?

3. Piesk

Piesk

mm indeed, I actually have fairly decent experience using unity and is why i chose unity in the first place. The matter of obtaining a game rather than creating is because of time constraints, this project itself is on fairly tight constraints as this "physical" element is only a small part of it, followed by a literary review and other aspects. As well as several other projects alongside it. If i cannot obtain a working prototype I may well be forced to make one, but it would be a fairly large drawback.

GarBenjamin likes this.