Search Unity

I do not want instanced materials but the original materials in asset...

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by WILEz1975, Mar 4, 2015.

1. WILEz1975

WILEz1975

I made a script that copy all materials from a gameobject to another. It 'a script that runs in the editor to press a button.

Code (csharp):
    1. TargetComponents[j].gameObject.transform.GetComponent<Renderer>().material=ComponentsToAdd[i].gameObject.transform.GetComponent<Renderer>().materials;
    Is a Unity 5 script, but would be the same in unity 4, it makes little difference, like:

Code (csharp):
    1. TargetComponents[j].gameObject.transform.render.materials=ComponentsToAdd[i].gameObject.transform.render.materials;
    Works but the materials that I copied are not the same but are instances. I would like to know how to tell him not to create instances but use their original materials in my asset.

Is possible?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I had a similar problem before Unity5 too, I used to create materials at runtime and then assigning it to various meshes and I got all instances. I solved this by storing the material reference in a pooling manager, then get the material from there. It seems that getting a material reference from another mesh create instances no matter what, so you may want to keep it somewhere else and reference from there.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Use sharedMaterials instead of materials.

--Eric

4. WILEz1975

WILEz1975

Yes, it is one of the first things I tried. Same result.

But I solved in another way.
    I created a new static array where set the original materials.
    Then set it as target gameobject materials array.
    Work.

5. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

You need to say "sharedMaterials = " on the left side AND "renderer.sharedMaterials" on the right side.

6. WILEz1975

WILEz1975

Yep. But nothing changes. Always instaced materials without this declaration:
    Code (csharp):
    1. [SerializeField]
    2. static Materials [] MyArrayMaterials;
    and after set the materials:
    Code (csharp):
    1. MyArrayMaterials=ComponentsToAdd.gameObject.transform.GetComponent<Renderer>().sharedMaterials;
    2. TargetComponents[j].gameObject.transform.GetComponent<Renderer>().sharedMaterials=MyArrayMaterials;[code]

Nanako likes this.