Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I can't take it anymore! iPhone Remote is driving me MAD!

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Crazy Robot, May 6, 2010.

1. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

It just keeps dropping out on me, giving me the dreaded "No Assert String available", so of course, I have to restart Unity and start testing from the beginning!

AHKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

2. mudloop

mudloop

Apparently they found the problem, so it should be fixed in the next version.

3. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE release the fix!! I don't care if that is the ONLY fix. But I have to stop and restart my testing 10 - 15 times an hour!

Please Unity release this fix!!

4. Recluse

Recluse

I never use the remote.

I implement dual control systems for my projects so I can played in the Unity editor as well as on the iPhone. This takes longer initially but the benefit means I can play test on the laptop with no delay and only need to build on the iPhone a couple of times a day to test the app for speed etc.

That's my tip, anyway.

5. Ra_

Ra_

is this fix available yet? I am trying to get a game submitted by this weekend and it is impossible for me to balance the game with this error that keeps popping up.

after the error the game displays but it doesn't accept controls. any luck with support emailing anyone a fix?

6. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

Unity Remote is Awesome when it works but Horrible when it doesn't.

I'm grateful for Unity Remote but yes it can be frustrating.

Here are somethings I do that seem to make it work better:
    1. Start Unity BEFORE starting the Remote.
    2. Close/Stop Remote when not actively using it.
    3. Sometimes after it stops responding, the the Touch Input will not work again until BOTH Unity and Remote are restarted.

7. w00dn

w00dn

i second this! it's terribly annoying, especially while debugging or recording a video from screen.
    a fix would be very nice.

8. Lukas H

Lukas H

It is annoying but I hardly get them.
    Maybe its because I use a fixed cycle which might help you guys:
    1 Make sure the editor is not in play mode
    2 Start up Unity remote on your idevice
    3 Select your mac and wait till the "Waiting for preview" pops up
    4 Hit play in the editor

To quit:
    1 Stop the app on the idevice
    2 Return from playmode to editormode in the editor

I also have turned off booth bluetooth and wifi on my mac mini, the router in the network does the wireless connection. (its a linksys btw)

9. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I will try these workarounds, but I know Unity can put out a fast 1.71 update just to include this fix. It's killing me with not only testing my game, but also making a video!

Terrible!!

JL

10. Ra_

Ra_

Mine's actually been working much better since i made this post. I'm not sure if i'm just treating it a bit more carefully or i was just having bad luck before that.

11. EricJ13

EricJ13

I'd really like to know how the "complete rewrite" is going. I really would. I've been focusing on iPad stuff the last couple of months so I've not been having issues with Remote, I've not been having Remote. Man it's a challenge sometimes lemme tell ya.

Don't get me wrong; I'd rather have no Remote than no iPad support - that's fo sho. But the sooner the new and improved Remote is available the happier I will be.

12. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Hi guys,

Just a quick FYI. We do have a new remote application as part of 3.0. It's currently being tested, but I do not yet have any feedback to give about how more stable this version is. When I get news from the testers I will share it.

Thanks,
    Graham

13. EricJ13

EricJ13

Thanx dendrophile.

Is the new Remote going to be retrofitted into 1.7, or is it in the new version only?

14. OXYGEN

OXYGEN

be sure to test it with iphone 3gs seems to be the main culprit for dropouts?

15. ejleigh

ejleigh

This was happening every 15 min or so on my 3G when heavy duty testing the touch UI. I changed my Wi-Fi settings 'Ask to Join Networks' to OFF and only got one assert in the last couple of hours. Maybe this will help some others.

16. GamesByJerry

GamesByJerry

I hate the remote, but I can't blame the unity guys. For me it's my location, I live in the city and currently have 41 wifi connections being picked up :eek: You just can't pick a clear channel.

I was a little excited to see iPhone 4 have 802.11n until I noticed it's only 2.4ghz ;( Either drained too much battery for 5ghz, or apple are just doing the usual, leaving an easy upgrade path out for the next model.

17. JohannChristoph

JohannChristoph

it's August now. i still have the same problem. first i thought some people are overreacting. But now i'm kind of despaired (though i like Unity a lot in general). My workflow is completely spoiled and i often forgot what i was actually doing after i restarted unity.
    Or is there a solution already?

18. Dreamora

Dreamora

The Unity iPhone 3 remote works fairly solid.

I've some doubts that we will see a unity iphone 1.7.1 just for the sake of a remote update

Out of recent experience I can say that the crash rate drops significantly if you don't switch active programs while your iphone game is in play mode. it seems that this somehow gets unity that far in the back that its bonjour message processing goes bogus or that the networking itself floods that far that it goes bogus

19. JohannChristoph

JohannChristoph

ah, makes sense. thank's for replying!

20. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

I'm here to say that the remote for Unity 3 works much better! :)

21. crafTDev

crafTDev

Cant wait till Friday then for the upgrade, this is driving me crazy. The remote is completely useless now since it freezes every second and sometimes crashes for no reason. This started happening after I updated to iOS4 on my iphone...

22. Pyroman311

Pyroman311

If I buy Unity iPhone Basic...how soon will I get the link to update to Unity 3.0?

I'm just asking because this Remote problem (if it does happen to me) will be a huge problem...

23. crafTDev

crafTDev

I just saw a tip about Unity Remote which completely resolves my problem. TURN BLUETOOTH OFF...

24. Pyroman311

Pyroman311

Any help here? Thanks.

25. crafTDev

crafTDev

Within 24 hours.

26. Pyroman311

Pyroman311

Awesome. Appreciate the help! And congrats on finding the issue with the Bluetooth. :)

27. crafTDev

crafTDev

Has anyone had any problems preordering Unity 3 for iPhone upgrade? I cant seem to preorder the upgrade...its greyed out..

28. Pyroman311

Pyroman311

Do you have Unity 3 Pro?

29. Dreamora

Dreamora

if you have unity iphone and your license starts with U3- you already have unity iphone 3 :)

30. crafTDev

crafTDev

lol, i just realized that haha. Woohoo!!

31. snicholls

snicholls

You should not have to order unity 3 for a fix for something that should work.

32. Dreamora

Dreamora

you don't order u3 for a fix of this, but for u3

there is no fix of this, thats the state of how it is in Unity iPhone 1.x and that won't change even if you preorder u3 iphone pro

33. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I've been using Unity 3 beta 7 and remote is very stable, no issues at all!!