Search Unity

How unity will charge me if my game earning more ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Abhijit-Mukherjee, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Abhijit-Mukherjee

Abhijit-Mukherjee

Hi Buddy,

Can you please guide me how to launch my game in android market .. in future ... I just want to know and prepare my game like wise . Most of the asset I am using from asset store (Free one) ... And my unity is free version . Is it allowed to use free asset for commercial games .. I need Guidance Buddy ... ... Help me out Please ..

How unity will charge me if my game earning more ??

Thanks,
    Abhijit M

2. Ony

Ony

You can use the free version of Unity to make commercial games. You can use free assets from the store to make commercial games.

Abhijit-Mukherjee likes this.
  3. elmar1028

elmar1028

And there are no royalties regardless what Unity version you're using! :D

Ony and Abhijit-Mukherjee like this.
  4. Abhijit-Mukherjee

Abhijit-Mukherjee

Hi Ony .. Thank you very much for guiding me ... I am little bit confuse while I am reading this post below
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/342714/use-of-asset-store-assests-in-commercial-game.html

I am not able to make out conclusion . whether I should use Unity Free Asset to build my game and Sell my Game in Market . Can you please help me

5. Abhijit-Mukherjee

Abhijit-Mukherjee

Thanks Buddy .... I have one more doubt ... I my game got very popular . Then Unity will ask me to buy the licence ?

6. Ony

Ony

Unity Free, which include the free platform add-on products, may not be licensed or used by a commercial entity with annual gross revenues (based on prior fiscal year) in excess of US$100,000, or by an educational, academic, non-profit or government entity with a total annual budget for the entire entity (based on prior fiscal year) in excess of US$100,000.

From this page.

7. Abhijit-Mukherjee

Abhijit-Mukherjee

If my revenue is US$100,000. then i can not use Free version of unity right ???

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Right.

If you make 100,000 the 1500 required to buy a lisence is pocket change.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Don't forget the licenses for any other platforms he may be targeting as well. It is only $1,500 if he sticks solely to desktop.

Ony, Abhijit-Mukherjee and Kiwasi like this.
  10. Abhijit-Mukherjee

Abhijit-Mukherjee

and what about those free assets in asset store do I need to Pay them as well , Once Public the game

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. Those assets should remain free unless they state otherwise.

12. Abhijit-Mukherjee

Abhijit-Mukherjee

So here is the conclusion

1.) I Can Use Unity Free Version for Commercial use too .
    2.) If my earning from the game is more than $ 100,000 then , Then I need to buy License .
    3.) I can use Free Asset from Unity Asset Store and can use them in my Game , And also I can sell my Game .

Correct me If I am wrong Please .

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    Ony likes this.
  13. Ony

Ony

That is correct, with one minor thing to say differently in point number 2...

The US $100,000 is for all of your games combined, not just per game. If you make $100,000 from using Unity, regardless of how many games you make with it, you need a license.

14. Abhijit-Mukherjee

Abhijit-Mukherjee

Awesome Ony :) Thanks

Ony likes this.
  15. Ony

Ony

Good luck with your games! :)

16. Abhijit-Mukherjee

Abhijit-Mukherjee

Thanks Ony ... And Best of luck with your newly released game ...

Ony likes this.
  17. Abhijit-Mukherjee

Abhijit-Mukherjee

Thanks Ryiah :)

18. drewradley

drewradley

2) You only need to buy for NEW games you publish after you earn 100K. Not ones already published with free so you can wait until you are ready to publish your next game to buy (or not at all if you never publish anything else with Unity).
    3) SOME assets do have their own user license that MAY NOT allow commercial use. But there are very few of those and the ones I have seen are clearly marked so it's easy to spot them.

19. Abhijit-Mukherjee

Abhijit-Mukherjee

Thanks
    Thanks Buddy ..... :) Point 2 is not clear to me ...

20. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Just to clear up the $100,000 thing.

[Correction]

The actual deal with the 100K limit is in the current EULA;

1) If you are an individual, the $100k limit only applies if you earned $100k from making games with Unity last year. We do not count your earnings from an unrelated day job.

2) If you are using Unity as a legal entity, it would be $100k of any type of revenue whether or not related.

[/Correction]

[ WRONG]
    You must buy Unity Pro if you or your legal entity (aka business) earns an annual gross of $100,000. This isn't earning from Unity titles or the games industry, this is what you or your business earns in a year.

If I owned Graham's Car Dealership and my gross earnings for the year were $101,000 and I wanted to make something in Unity, I would need to buy Pro.

If I was an employee of Graham's Car Dealership but my annual salary was $50,000 in the last fiscal year and I wanted to make something in Unity, I would not need to buy Pro. Because it's not my business, I'm an employee and I earned under $100k. [/WRONG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Still very affordable when in that situation, and only fair ;)

Aurore likes this.
  22. Abhijit-Mukherjee

Abhijit-Mukherjee

Thanks Buddy .... Cool ... :) .....

23. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I always thought the $100,000 limit applied only to revenue from games made with Unity. I did not realize that the $100,000 limit applied to all of a person's (or businesses) revenue including non-Unity sources of income. Thanks for clearing that up.

chelnok and Ony like this.
  24. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The wording says commercial entity. This is a specific legal term. It doesn't of necessity imply all of a persons income. For full details consult a lawyer.

For example I earn more then the limit in my day job. I can still use unity free as a hobbyist. Legally my work and my unity hobby are seperate enough activities to be considered different commercial entities. This would not be a tenable position I used Unity for work purposes.

25. Ryiah

Ryiah

I would imagine it is written this way to handle entities such as educational institutes or those who wish to use it without selling their finished results.

26. Abhijit-Mukherjee

Abhijit-Mukherjee

Lets put a conclusion about the finding