Search Unity

How to use Maps in Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ActivePrime, Jul 25, 2016.

1. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Hello,
    I have created 3 maps for some object, diffuse, alpha transparency and normal.
    I don't know how to use them in one material, secondly I want to affect only one part of the object not the whole object but whenever I have used the map it applies to the whole object.
    I am sharing you the results of 3ds max, I want the same in unity.
    If you need any additional information please do let me know.

3ds_Max_Net.png Unity_Net.png

Regards,
    M.Aqib

2. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

in the material in Unity , you see where it says "Opaque"
    it looks like you want "transparent" or maybe "cutout" ??

also, is the output from 3dsmax a .png ... or some other image format that has an alpha channel?

(if changing opaque to transparent doesnt do it) oh i see there's an Opacity layer,
    ... hmm i guess you want that to be in the alpha channel of the diffuse/ baseColor map
    , 3dsmax id assume auto did that when you exported the image? im not sure... i use blender and GIMP

uhm.. like in substance designer, it will have an Opacity map, and i output it, and then open it in GIMP, and assign the opacity to the baseColor/diffuse/albedo map's alpha channel

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  3. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Cutout and Transparent map doesn't work, I still can't see through it, still it applies the material to whole object while I want to apply it to one section.
    In 3ds max I am using 3 maps, Diffuse, Alpha Cutout and Normal maps.
    In unity do I have to use the diffuse and alpha combined in one map?
    Please help me, I am the super newbie in unity texturing.
    Please explain as detailed as possible.

4. chingwa

chingwa

Yes, Transparency needs to go into the A (alpha) channel of the Albedo/Diffuse texture. This is not necessarily true for all shaders, but it's true for the Standard unity shader. You'll also need to set the rendering mode to transparent or it will just ignore the alpha. For the alpha channel, white will be opaque and black will be transparent... greys will be varying degrees of translucency.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

7. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

I have solved the alpha problem but the second problem I am having why the whole object is affected by that texture while I am only applying to the child.
    Before exporting from 3ds max I have parent the object so I can control individual pieces but it's not happening like that.
    Please do let me know if I am doing any mistakes.

Why_Whole_Object.png

8. willemsenzo

willemsenzo

Only thing that comes to my mind is that the parent and child object share the same material.

9. drewradley

drewradley

My guess is you are changing the texture on a material that is shared by both objects. Any objects that share a material will all change when you change the texture. Make sure a unique material is applied to each object if that is not what you want. The easiest way is to duplicate the material and apply the duplicate to one or the other and then change the texture on only one of them.

willemsenzo likes this.
  10. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Yes I need the unique material.
    I am pretty new to materials and textures in unity, i'll give it a try and let you know if it works for me.