Search Unity

How to reduce size and increase speed of Unity iOS Build

Discussion in '2D' started by Nullitifullness, May 19, 2016.

1. Nullitifullness

Nullitifullness

I am working on a relatively small 2D game. Anytime a build it in unity for iOS to test on a device the folder size is north of 900MB and it takes several minutes to build. I have checked Developement Build and set Run in Xcode as to Debug. Basically, these are the only settings I have adjusted from the defaults. I realized that in the Libraries folder there's a "libiPhone-lib.a" file that's 920MB. How can I possibly reduce the folder size or increase the build speed? Also is "libiPhone-lib.a" a library that I can add to my Xcode project after building in Unity or it's part of the build. Please help, I takes me about 5-7 minutes to build and run on my iOS device, that's a lot in programming terms.

2. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

In general a debug build will be significantly larger than a release build, but from my experience building to iOS you can expect your build to be at the very least 200MB.

3. crispybeans

crispybeans

With regards to the time spend compiling you can do the following: Turn on Symlink to save time copying the Unity engine library, for debugging purposes set the mono scripting backend, enable bytecode stripping and use .net subset. Also append to the build iinstead of doing a new build every time, that should decrease the compilation times.