Search Unity

How to read textures in a 4x4 texture atlas?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by drudiverse, Aug 15, 2014.

1. drudiverse

drudiverse

For a single texture, i can read the colors with the line:

Code (csharp):
    1. color = tex2D (textureName , uv);
    So for a 4x4 texture atlas, i want to read just one of the textures with:

Code (csharp):
    1. color = tex2D (textureName , uv * 0.5);    //the entire shader goes black  
    If i have three textures on a terrain and i change the uv reading value of one of them, all the scenery goes black as if i had changed uv for all three, isn't it very strange?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

It's hard to tell what's going on without the rest of the shader there.

3. steego

steego

That should work fine, however I'd recommend setting the tiling/offset in the material instead, this way you can use the same shader for all parts of the atlas. For a 4x4 atlas, set tiling to 0.5, and offset to 0/1 as needed, and just use tex2D(texture, uv) in the shader.

4. drudiverse

drudiverse

Thankyou. i found that it's the if condition, if i write

Code (csharp):
    1.   if (IN.worldPos.y >=1){clr = tex2D (_TexTop,  IN.uv_TexTop*.5);}// it goes black
    and

Code (csharp):
    1. clr = tex2D (_TexTop,  IN.uv_TexTop*.5);// works fine
    So it's very difficult to write a texture atlas shader that uses different textures for different parts of landscapes because the shader literally won't run anything with "if" condition where the uv is multiplied, it's crazy. If anyone knows a workaround, i will be very happy.

writing an additive version of the code i wanted to do is scary difficult. it would be like a 2d parametric version of "if condition" , there has to be an easy way to make the texture atlas into simple discreet variables?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  5. drudiverse

drudiverse

i've asked aras if he knows why that line bugs. Hope he will reply.

The solution, may be to make a table of multiply/offset values using if condition, and multiply the same instances of the sampler2d's using an offset etc control value.