Search Unity

How to properly use the scripting reference?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Mothil, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mothil

Mothil

I'm trying to find some solid ways for me to learn unity scripting apart from tutorials, and my question is more directed towards the script reference that Unity has. I'm generally more fan of reading to learn stuff, and I've had success learning through reading reference before, but I can't seem to understand a good portion of the script reference from Unity.

For example this one. Now, I'm not expecting to understand everything by reading through them, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I have no idea how, why and what that does. On some occasions I've just copied the name and googled it, and if I'm lucky I get a couple searches on other pages where people ask about how it's used. That is quite inefficient, so I was wondering if I was coming at this the wrong way.

Am I just not understanding the reference at all, or is it actually not supposed to be newbie friendly at all? It's probably silly of me to bring this up, but I'm hoping an answer could sway me away from trying to understand the reference, or understand it better. :)

2. StarManta

StarManta

Not all pages of the reference are entirely clear, especially in the UnityEditor namespace. And yes, that is just plain lazy documentation. All they did was re-state the name of the function, as if that helps.

Truth is, in the context that that function was written, the meaning is probably so plainly obvious that the developer thought that no one could possibly need further explanation. They might have even been right. The problem may be that, when exploring the docs, it is completely devoid of this context, and becomes inscrutable.

Mothil likes this.
  3. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

+1 for the EventSystem docs :(