Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to move Windows or Unity when the ssd or hard drive is full [windows]

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AlanMattano, May 15, 2015.

1. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Unity 4.6 and 5 is installed in C.

MY SSD 128GB IS CLOSE TO BE FULL . Operating System (Windows 7 64) constantly download new updates and the size is growing. So i need to move Unity out form C. I've already uninstalled unskillful programs and all my projects are out from C.
    Do Unity have hiding assets in c (asset store) ? that i can't move?
    I have a second SSD where to put Unity Editor and programs.

Do I have to move all to a new larger 256 GB SSD without re-installing windows? Like for example using other software and then making a bigger the partition to fit the 256GB.
    OR
    Is better to move Unity 4.6 (6.2 GB) and Unity 5.0 (4.8GB) to a new SSD?
    In this case, do I have to Uninstall and then Install them again and what happen to my purchase download form the asset store?

PS: Probably is not a Unity direct question but I believe this is a common problem in the current Ssd era. I wish this question is editable buy other users so that they can improve it.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  2. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Hi there, I get no answer so i try myself and it did not went well. Still need help or info if it is possible.

Probably there are 3 ways to clone the disk and the OS in a bigger partition:
    • Using the Microsoft Windows tools: Tutorial
    • Using Norton Ghost pay tool , there is a new version Jun2015. The actual version do not works with Windows7 64 Home premium.
    • Using the SSD Samsung Migration software. [It did work for me after 4 restart]

My ssd was samsung. I try to move windows using windows tools but Samsung SSD deactive my Recovery Windows Service. So i try Data Migration since my two SSD where samsung.

At the end of the process Unity as to active my licence and now there are problems finishing in an infinite loop.
    when i lunch Unity5.00 a windows pops up "Machine identification is invalid for current licens" and contact info. I press Re-active and othe windows pops up telling "Moving C:...to C:... backup: Access denay. force quite , try again , cancel. It's look like a game but with no solution probably what i'm going to do is uninstall unity 5 and reinstall 5.0.2
    If there is a better solution please let us know. Thanks

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  3. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

After Using the native SSD Migration software. Failed to write license file
    "C:/ProgramData/Unity/Unity_v5.x.ulf"
    But there is no such Unity folder. Unity it's in:
    C:\Program Files\Unity5\

4. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I went to
    C:\ProgramData\Unity\Unity_v5.x.ulf
    And and I give all users full access.
    The same for the folders and other old Unity_v4

Then I lunched Unity 5 and after all the questions It start normally!

But probably there was a bug in my disk migration. My user change internally and other software are having the same problem. So I will not use samsung migration data and i will pass to the other options.

5. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

After a Windows restart for 4 time all works well. So data Migration software was working well.