Search Unity

How to move object by "steps" controlling time?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by xalex1200, Oct 9, 2015.

1. xalex1200

xalex1200

Hi, I'm beggining with Unity and I have a problem with my project. I guess it must be a very stupid question but I havent found anything in the web and don't know what else I can try. I'll just paste the necessary code:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void walk() {
    2.         Vector3 plpos = player.transform.position;
    3.         plpos.z += 1;
    4.         player.transform.position = plpos;
    5.     }
    I have a surface that I'm using like a kind of chessboard. What I want is to move the player from cell to cell but not describing a linear trajectory. I just want it to appear in the next cell. The code I've pasted works, but now is when my problem appears. I want to call this function in void update(), but of course the player disappears in a blink. I've tried to use Time.deltatime in multiple ways, but the problem is that as I said, I don't want a linear trajectory, I just want that each second the player appears in the next cell and I don't know if deltatime is what I need.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

You can structure your Start() function as a coroutine and have it call walk() periodically , like so:

Code (csharp):
    1. IEnumerator Start()
    2. {
    3.     float interval = 1.0f;    // how often to step
    4.     while( true)    // endless loop
    5.     {
    6.         // wait for an interval...
    7.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(interval);
    8.         walk();        // take one step
    9.     }
    10. }
    Make sure you do NOT take out the yield statement or else Unity will lock up with the abovecode.

Kiwasi and xalex1200 like this.
  3. xalex1200

xalex1200

Thank you! works perfectly! I suspected this is what i needed, but I didn't know how to apply it to my case.