Search Unity

How to make a grid with sectors that represent scenes and space within scenes?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by DeadKenny, Aug 23, 2014.

1. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

I want to make a grid with sectors, each of which is a scene(empty scene) and in this grid I want it to represent the XYZ distance as something like say 1 decimal in the grid = 1000 in the scene .

First lets start with one scene: How would I link or represent a given distance(bounds that I will set)in code, in a square XYZ?

Pseudo code:

public float sectorSizeX = 1000;
    public float sectorSizeY = 1000;
    public float sectorSizeZ = 1000;

Now how could I implement that as the bounds of a scene and also represent it as a square in a code?

Can anyone help me out just to get the start here? Thanks.

2. Lars-Kristian

Lars-Kristian

How are you going to use this? Like a level selection screen?

You could add a root object to every sceen and add every other object as a child. Get the render bounds of the root object and scale it to fit inside the square.

3. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Yeah kinda... but the level selection will also needed to be done at the edge or the bounds that I mentioned.

Is there any other way other than than root and child objects? Can I use just one root object and project out to a specific distance as the limit? That can work but then I still don't know how I could represent that in a grid.

4. Lars-Kristian

Lars-Kristian

Maybe uploading a image of the problem will help understanding it?

Does every sector have the same size? Is it important to scale down the sector/sceen? Could you just make a bigger grid that represents the sector's on a one to one scale? And then use the camera to zoom in on one scene?

5. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Yeah every sector has to be the same size and the reason I am trying to do this is in order to avoid needing to scale anything and also floating point precision.

Ok I think I kinda have an idea how to achieve part of this after you mentioned the root object.