Search Unity

How To Lock Layers By Editor Script?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by fighder, Jul 1, 2016.

1. fighder

fighder

Is there some way I can access the Layers and lock them by name or index? I can't seem to find an answer on google, so I was wondering if this is even possible.

2. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

Ahhh... its not like Photoshop.

I wouldnt think of it like that. Think of Layers as more of a Masking flag, for Camera use mainly.

So any GameObject can belong to just a single Category (Layer), but the Camera can show multiple Categories (Layer Mask can include many) for GameObjects belonging/assigned to those Categories.

What are you trying to do? :p

3. eses

eses

4. TrickyHandz

TrickyHandz

If you want to have a bit more flexibility than the built in layers, I highly recommend ProGroups. It adds great flexibility to the editor and makes locking objects, hiding objects and selecting entire groups a breeze.

5. fighder

fighder

I came across that answer, but it didn't seem to make sense to me. I couldn't find Tools.lockedLayers in the api page, and Tools.visibleLayers seem return an int? I am not exactly sure how to use Tools.visibleLayers to lock the layer.

I am not concern with masking nor fiddling with hidding objects in the camera through flags. I am just extending the Unity editor for a level editor and I need to lock game objects of a certain layers to make sure they don't get selected when I select a group of objects from a different layer.

6. fighder

fighder

I got it working. Turns out Unity just didn't list Tools.lockedLayers. I was able to toggle it with Tools.lockedLayers ^= 1<<LayerMask.NameToLayer();

Lars-Steenhoff and IzzySoft like this.
  7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

What does this do?

Can I now make an editor menu that has the layer so I can toggle them?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  8. FinnTess

FinnTess

OMG YOU THE ONLY ONE WHO FIND IT XD THX !!!