Search Unity

How to get started on a 2.5 D platform game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by markzareal, Sep 23, 2014.

1. markzareal

markzareal

How to get started on a 2.5 D platform game? What do I need to know? What are your experiences with 2.5 D games?

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Maybe find some templates etc on the asset store that are free and see how they work

3. pKallv

pKallv

Deon-Cadme likes this.
  4. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

I'm making a high-end 2.5d sidescroller and really there's no difference between a 2.5d sidescroller and a 2d sidescroller. Mechanically they're pretty much the same, the only difference is the graphics are 3d instead of 2d. So if you already have the ability to make a 2d platformer, then the aspect to focus on for a 2.5d platformer would be your 3d art skills (or at least finding a 3d artist). If you can't program a 2d platformer on the other hand, then that's where you need to start.
    For prototyping and beginning actual work, I would start by using untextured cubes and primitives to make characters and environments, use those as placeholders while you program everything. Later on you replace them with actual assets.

5. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Hey I am making a 2.5D platforming game as well. I have a script that basically does more than what I need. I programmed it in 1 hour and it is probably the most bug free script I have right now.

I am willing to give you this script ONLY IF you are able to send me a script that you attempted by yourself and you are able to explain any piece of the code. This way, you can still feel like you worked for your goals. Try to make the scripts yourself and if you need help, just send me a PM and I will gladly help..... just make sure you at least tried something first.

(I will know if your script came from the internet so don't even try)

:D

BlackoutShadows and MelvinTan79 like this.
  6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hmm for $40 you could get a kit that gives you THIS as a starting point (plus a lot of other stuff not shown there).

7. schmosef

schmosef

Unity's latest tutorial is for a 2.5D game.

It's a step by step guide that will show you how to setup the camera and most of the mechanics you will need for a 2.5D platformer.

Here's the link.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  8. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Most important thing to know, 2.5D can be built with 2D or 3D elements... or a mix of them. All methods got benefits and drawbacks. Google and Youtube can help you with better understanding what 2.5D really is :)