Search Unity

How to get rotation in xyz

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by cmh322, Aug 22, 2009.

1. cmh322

cmh322

I apologize in advance, this is one of those questions where the answer is embarrassingly simple, yet I can't find it. But alas, progress trumps pride...

I would like to get the current rotation of an object in xyz degrees, like you see in the editor, rather than the object returned by transform.rotation. How do I do this?

cryptex. and ei1 like this.
  2. Jessy

Jessy

3. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

As the above link shows, you just have to check transform.eulerAngles.x for x, transform.eulerAngles.y for y, and transform.eulerAngles.z for z.

dman8723, Knarhoi, cryptex. and 2 others like this.
  4. Jessy

Jessy

usingunityengine likes this.
  5. cmh322

cmh322

It was embarrassingly simple :)
    Thanks everyone!

6. RHD

RHD

I would like to get the current rotation of an object and feed it into another script, or another part of the same script, in an assortment of "If " statements to control different outcomes depending on the rotation on the Y axis.
    I'm struggling to find an answer but I'm not from a scripting background and struggling generally.
    Thanks chaps.

7. Magiichan

Magiichan

I think it'd be better if you'd create a seperate thread for ppl to help you with your problem.

8. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

^^
    and not bump a 5 year old thread.

9. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Don't infringe upon their religious right to be practicing necromancers :D

HOBBY LOBBY

10. CrazyZombieKiller

CrazyZombieKiller

Loved your answer. It was simple and brief, and solved the problem quickly. Thanks very much.

11. RockingGameDeveloper

RockingGameDeveloper

Anyone know how to do this in JavaScript. I will not get into the C#. Not going to use C#.

12. StarManta

StarManta

eulerAngles should work just as well in JavaScript as in C#, but why for the love of sanity would you still be using JavaScript in Unity in 2019? I'm honestly curious, you're the first person I've seen in years that's still on Javascript. Are you maintaining a legacy project that was created in 2009?

If you're wondering why I'm so curious, I long ago (back when this was still actively debated on the forums, which was YEARS ago) wrote a long list of reasons why C# is objectively better, and I've yet to see anyone in the last decade make a good case for the other side. If you have some niche reason for using it I really, honestly would like to know what it is. I'm fascinated.

13. Davide1104

Davide1104

Kill javascript NOW!

14. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

15. Davide1104

Davide1104

Joe-Censored likes this.