Search Unity

How to dynamically create animation controllers in scripts

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by rmccabe82, Nov 26, 2014.

1. rmccabe82

rmccabe82

Hi,

I need to be able to assign animation to a selection of models at runtime.

In the Unity IDE when I have a humanoid model fbx (we'll call this avatar.fbx) and a humanoid animation fbx file with no model, just the animation (we'll call this movement.fbx), I can quite easily get apply the movement to the avatar using an animation controller.

However, I am using a Kinect to generate fbx files at runtime and drop them to a directory that Unity watches. I want to then apply the animation.fbx file that's been created to the avatar.fbx (as I would have done through the IDE with the animation controller) but I cant seem to find the code to do this.

Has anyone dynamically imported animations while a game is running and applied them to a model before?

For helpfulness, I've attached a document with the steps I take to do this through the Unity IDE. These are what I need to mimic in a script.

Thanks for the pointers in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

I looked into this a little over a year ago and it wasn't possible at that time.

3. CWolf

CWolf

Does anyone know if Unity is planning to allow runtime creation of the Animation Controller in Unity 5? I'd like to be able to do this too. A lot of work is being done around Mecanim at the moment for Unity 5 so I'd love to see this exposed.

4. CWolf

CWolf

5. PixelLifetime

PixelLifetime

6. CWolf

CWolf

That link isn't for runtime creation. That's editor time.

7. PixelLifetime

PixelLifetime

I haven't try to build with that code yet, but I am pretty sure that calling that method will create what is required. Did you try it out yourself? Did it say that it doesn't compile if not in #if UNITY_EDITOR? It works perfectly in editor by the way.

8. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

It's in the UnityEditor namespace which is excluded from builds so it's not a viable option for runtime controller creation.

CWolf likes this.
  9. CWolf

CWolf

As @KelsoMRK mentioned, due to it being in the UnityEditor namespace it does not get included in a standalone build.

10. PixelLifetime

PixelLifetime

Oh, I understand. I have many namespaces by default when creating `.cs` file so I didn't notice it being in UnityEditor. It's strange that they just don't expose it for some reason. I know that new versions of unity are going to have some additional functionality for animations. Also, there will be a new animator tool if you watch a keynote - Kinematica. Maybe it will expose this API.

11. Baste

Baste

Menion-Leah likes this.
  12. PixelLifetime

PixelLifetime

Also, there will be a access to animation stream and ...
    - a few seconds later in the video after input system.

13. CWolf

CWolf

The original thread discussion was create, not change.

14. Baste

Baste

Oh, right, didn't spot that this was a strange necro post. My bad.

15. Pacosmico

Pacosmico

For example, I am need literally an empty Animator Controller (because Animator.RecordPlayback won't work if no Controller is assigned). Since I can't just "new RuntimeAnimatorController" I must create in the project one, and then assign a reference to it, wich is annoying because I don't want to be worrying that every single instance of the scripts wich need this empty controller has to have a pointer.
    I mean, I will end up doing some awful editor script for something so silly!

So... feel ya bro/sis

OfficialHermie and Sprarage like this.