Search Unity

How to change font's size?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by life1980, Mar 3, 2010.

1. life1980

life1980

I have a font and want to display it in different size.How should I do?(I want codes, thank you~!)

2. cerebrate

cerebrate

Text is actually not resizeable with code. The text is actually rendered by unity to a texture, and you cannot change this while running a game. About the only way to change the size of a font would be to:

1: make multiple "fonts" that are all the different sizes that you set in the editor

2: switch between which font is used at runtime in order to change the size

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

cerebrate has it right. When you use a font as part of your UnityGUI elements you must specify the font size and we rasterize the font set at that size in the editor, that's not changeable at run-time. So as noted above, if you want multiple font sizes then you have to import one font asset at each size you'll want to use then look into using/applying GUIStyles to control which font size is used in each case.

4. life1980

life1980

ok, I got it.
    thank you~

5. bibbinator

bibbinator

I have some follow up questions on this:

1. Why can't I change the character size of a 3D Text object at runtime? I understand the font material needs to be generated at the right size (which it is) at edit time but at runtime when I add a TextMesh to the scene it defaults to a Character Size of 1 which isn't useful or legible. Doesn't the character size just control the size of the polygons the font is rendered onto? I can see that my font is perfectly legible, but the 3D Text is too small to see the font.

2. As per your suggestion, assuming I add the intermediate GUIStyles, how can I set this into a 3D Text?

Thanks,
    Brett

6. andeeeee

andeeeee

You could try increasing the size of the font on import to improve the quality as you scale up the text mesh.
    You can't apply GUIStyles to a text mesh, this is a feature of the GUI class.

7. mooktown

mooktown

Text is resizeable with code (if you use a 3d text object). Then use Transform.localScale like so:

(obj_showtimer being the pointer to my textmesh object I'm resizing)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  8. berg44

berg44

using the scale gives awful resolution... even when I go to the font import settings, I can't get my font to resize though

9. srinathmaheshkulkarni

srinathmaheshkulkarni

you can change the size of the font in import settings and hit apply, after that reduce the scale in transform to gett better resolution.