Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to balance object?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by khos85, Feb 11, 2016.

1. khos85

khos85

Hi, I would like to ask for advice on how to balance object?

Currently I have a system that checks x axis on an object (with rigidbody), if more than 0 or less than 0, then I add force the relevant direction which works well if the object only travels in one direction, but when I rotate the object it leads to a very unstable object and flips all over the place, I would like to ask if if anyone has any advice how to prevent the flipping behaviour?
    How to balance an object on multiple axis?
    Maybe I am not explaining this very well, it's for a bike style game.

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

I would assume more mass would fix that problem. Could be wrong though.

But this isn't the right forum for this kind of question, so it may get moved buddy.

3. khos85

khos85

Many thanks N1warhead. I have been thinking about it (of course), maybe the pivot point of my object needs to as low as possible so that the centre of gravity is minimal, and then forces are pushed on that?
    Also: I was also considering to push (with add force on rigidbody) in two places (two child objects?), wonder if that might help to spread the forces maybe?

4. N1warhead

N1warhead

You can actually adjust the Center Of Mass of your object. Should look into that.
    (You may can also check out my Physics Inspector (link in Signiture). Not sure if it will help with anything you're doing, but there is a video showing and explaining everything it does (Including Balance checking, etc).

I wouldn't normally push an Asset on any topic, but being this is dealing with physics, figured I'd mention it as it may help with whatever all it is you're trying to do. (but be sure to watch the video first if are interested in it) just to make sure it's anything you need.

5. khos85

khos85

Thanks, I'll check out your asset:)

N1warhead likes this.