Search Unity

How to automatically hook in game objects to prefab?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by chrilley, Aug 15, 2014.

1. chrilley

chrilley

I have a character model where I segment the character into different parts. I do this so I can easily change heads, hands, legs and add hats, vests, etc.
    I put this model in a prefab were I also have a little script attached. In this script I can hook my meshes in. It's very simple and straightforward, since I am not really a coder(yet? dun dun) I can't do much fancy scripting:

public GameObject Head01;
    public GameObject Arms01;
    public GameObject Legs01;

After this point it's up to the coders to do whatever they want with these objects.

My problem is that I now have so many objects to hook in per prefab that this process takes ages whenever I have to update the character.

So my question is basically; Is it possible to somehow in an editor script loop through all these game objects, look for a name match inside the .fbx and automatically hook it in for me?

Or maybe even an alternative solution?

2. secondbreakfast

secondbreakfast

If you use a naming convention you can put then directly under the root object and look up the children by name in the Awake or Start method.

3. chrilley

chrilley

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'd like something like that. Are there any examples/documentation I could look at? I'm still green when it comes to coding.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  4. secondbreakfast

secondbreakfast

5. chrilley

chrilley

Thanks!

A follow-up question, what if there are multiple instances of this character prefab with the same naming? Would it then grab the "Hand" object from a totally different instance than its own? If so, how do I prevent this from happening?