Search Unity

How should I show the player and some area around them when behind an object obstructing view?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Grievemourne, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Grievemourne

Grievemourne

Alt title was way more obtuse, if you can believe it: Localized transparency based on mask/map information and rendering priority?

Basically, I want the player to always be shown even when behind an object, and even better if I can show some of the area around them. It had me thinking of how I could change the rendering priorities of objects, to force the player to always be rendered no matter what, but I don't know how to do the same to the area around them.
    I'm hoping to have the effect be a circle with a faded edge around the player, but uncertain how to achieve that.

I was wanting to have some texture or map information be place on the player (or camera) with the faded circle around them and use it as a mask to somehow blend rendering priorities on a per pixel basis between foreground object and background object - or what's hit by a raycast between camera and player. I'm going to make an image of what I mean soon, maybe tomorrow, but hoped to maybe get a response in the morning, so made this now. I hope it's not completely incoherent. Example.jpg

Blue is the player, red is the background, yellow is the foreground object. When The player goes behind the yellow object, I want the object to become transparent around the player - but not the entire object. Represented by the bottom right image.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    bear1998 likes this.
  2. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

3. Grievemourne

Grievemourne

It's not exactly what I need, but it's hard for me to say that it's completely unrelated when I'm trying to find out what I have available to me as likely avenues to achieve this. Updated the original post with an image for a better explanation, if you could have a look.

4. bear1998

bear1998

anyone got any idea of how this is done I need to do it aswell for my top down game. I cant figure out how to an area of influence around the player to achieve the transparent effect when they are near to walls