Search Unity

how much does it cost? the Amazon EC2 server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Silberpfeile, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Silberpfeile

Silberpfeile

I'm using this but I'm not sure if i calculated the correct fees? I wanna have a rough estimation of the server cost. but im really confused with all of this

If i'm creating a game that need the user to login and have some sort of social interactive, So i assume that I use this type "r3.8xlarge", it looks awesome enough, and the price of 1 year cost is 13294$ , but I'm not sure if i'm correct with this? do i just need 1 instance? what's that for?

upload_2014-11-16_23-29-54.png

upload_2014-11-16_23-26-49.png

upload_2014-11-16_23-25-40.png

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You're grossly overestimating how much power you need. The point of the EC2 is you can scale it up later to meet demand. For now get the cheapest possible one and move up if it's needed (ie too laggy).

Seriously, you need access to 32 virtual cpus, 244 gb ram and 2x 320gb ssd hard drives with very high bandwidth for a login for a game that's not even made? It's your dollar to waste :)

The smallest one is sufficient for logins and social until it becomes less responsive.

3. Silberpfeile

Silberpfeile

oh i just wanna have an estimation of the things, i don't think i need that powerful server at start.:D
    we are currently using the free tier to test the game.

I just got a few things confused:
    1, why the 1yr Heavy Reserved is cheaper than 1yr Light reserved, just because it has a higher upfront price?
    2, what's suppose of having several instance? do i need more instance if we got more players? since it got a very significant impact on price.
    3, so i guess 13294$ is almost everything that i needed for a really powerful server that includes enough storage of the database?

anyway, thanks hippo

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

A small stinky laptop from 5 years ago will handle more than you would believe. I think you're overestimating massively how internet traffic works for things like logins... just try cheapest first :)

With servers, not everyone is actually beating on the server's door at the same time. Traffic of this nature is usually much lighter than you think. It's when you serve lots and lots of content that it becomes a problem. Accessing a login is pretty much as fast as your hard drive.

5. JamesPro

JamesPro

The m3.medium is more then enough to get started with and runs about $100 per month. We have been using for our game for 5 or 6 months now and it's been running us between $50 and $100 per month.

6. Neffy

Neffy

I'd say start with the free 750 hours first and if you need an upscale then by the time you have the larger player base, you'll have gotten enough money from some of them to upgrade the server anyway so it won't be worrisome. The free 750 hours will be WAY more than enough for testing of people you know irl as well.

7. jtadeo1

jtadeo1

I've used the cloud services. You can set up Amazon EC2 to send you an alert that will create additional nodes if required. That's one of the advantages of it. It grows and contracts based on your needs. Hence the idea of elastic services.