Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How much 360 or ps3 licence fee?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by boothj1985, Aug 20, 2012.

1. boothj1985

boothj1985

If you have obtained a licence for either, how much did you have to pay and what was the process? I've had an idea for a game that I could only create with the gpu and processing power offered by these systems.

2. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

3. smalldragon979

smalldragon979

I'm not sure about the license price but from what I know it's really expensive. Also the console's gpu and processing power is much weaker than modern pc's

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's not true, since any average computer these days has far more CPU/GPU power than old consoles.

--Eric

5. amit1532

amit1532

Well, since not everyone are using a modern PC, you cannot know how optimized you need the game to be.
    with consoles, you just need it to be optimized for that specific console. I think that is what he meant.

6. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I'll add that to make your life easier you should avoid the major systems . The cost to get you game published on Ps3 or 360 is just too much , unless your a major publisher .

7. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I think you'll find the hardest part of developing for ps3 and especially 360 isn't the development cost but actually getting your title onto xbla and psn. PSN is a little easier but still not trivial. to get on xbla you basically have to buy your way on there these days if you're an indie dev. It doesn't make any sense as to why anyone develops for these platforms anymore.

8. nipoco

nipoco

You have to ask UT's sales department, since the price is not disclosed.

9. returnString

returnString

This is one of those "if you have to ask, it ain't for you" type questions. Build a decent PC title first and work from there.

10. draxov

draxov

Wait for the Ouya, it has a free SDK and apparently you can run any console as a development one, might be a while though :(

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think people have said it is around $15000 for a Unity Wii, PlayStation or Xbox license don't think it is confirmed though and i am under the impresion that they are per license so depending who you depends on how much you pay.(Not sure though)

12. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Enrollment in the developer programmes: Free. You need to be an established developer though - e.g. you need to demonstrate that you actually stand a chance of completing the project, that you can keep the devkits secure, and so on.

Devkits: at least $10,000 per kit.

Unity license: $80k for a full Xbox/PS3 title, $40k for XBLA/PSN.

(or there's XNA)

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity does not support XNA / C# as deployment target so there is no XNA.

Also the $40k are trivial. You will pay that much to MS to get your game through the approval process and onto the arcade store already, not including the fees you need to pay to register and get a dev kit.

14. Meltdown

Meltdown

How many games have you developed?
    I'd suggest doing the title on PC first, and offering a settings menu to cater for PC's of all specs.. high and low.

15. caldrin

caldrin

Thats why people give min specs for games to give a good idea what kind of system you need to be able to run it..

If this is your first game stay away from trying to get lics for xbox and ps3.. wel unless of course your rich :)

16. superpig

superpig

I meant without using Unity.

No, "approval" (certification) is free the first three times; you only pay if you need more than three runs (at which point it is indeed at around $40k). I don't believe there are any fees for registering or generally developing, other than the cost of the devkits.

17. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is the requirement to proof that you have the financial backup to pull it through or to pay if you violate the NDA.

Also you have that for the first submit but given what I read I doubt it will remain on one version (which XBLA game goes through with a single version?)

18. superpig

superpig

Yes, that's true - you don't have to actually pay the money, but you need to convince MS that you aren't going to go bankrupt midway through the project, which may require having the money in the bank. That's part of the general process of persuading MS that you're worth their time, though - that you've got qualified and competent people, that you've got secure premises, that you've got reasonable business sense, etc.

I'm pretty sure it's three free submissions, not just one (maybe that was a special deal for that one project, but still, MS are open to special deals for smaller guys). But while TCR compliance is tedious, it's not actually that hard to pass first time, provided you've engineered things in a sane way.

19. LucasDaltro

LucasDaltro

Ouya is a trap

20. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

It isn't only the price of the license that you have to worry about (I think I remember hearing something like $40,000 to $80,000), but also the additional costs such as the SDK of the console and the ESRB rating (which you need to publish to consoles). Also, the licenses are per-title and those people who actually buy the licenses probably have to sign non-disclosures (either that, or the people who buy the console licenses aren't the kind of people to hang around these forums :)).

21. Dreamora

Dreamora

any console license has an NDA with damage coverage clause. Thats one of the reasons why you need to be a real business with funding, so you have to lose something if you fail to comply to your contracts.