Search Unity

How long did it take YOU to learn blender

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Liamo, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Liamo

Liamo

Hi guys, I'm new to Unity and just familiarizing myself with the tools I'm using (namely, blender and GIMP) I was just wondering, how long did it take you to learn your 3d tool, and what was the hardest part. Cheers.

2. ivanzu

ivanzu

30min+previous knowledge of 3dsmax.

3. W01ff

W01ff

I had no prior 3d modelling knowledge, so I really started from scratch. Found some very good intro tutorials showing the basics on http://blenderunderground.com/. If you have a bit more knowledge and just want to see where the different tools are located, check out the "Get started with Blender" on http://cgcookie.com/blender/. The last site has some very good tutorials worth watching as well.

You asked how long - with full tie job, phd project and a family, it took me around 4 months before I could make anything worth showing here. Could be done a lot faster though if the study is intensifyed.

4. Costy

Costy

5. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

cgcookie.com was excellent source to learn blender. I also found http://www.blenderguru.com/ to be quite helpful. I feel like Andrew Price's mentality is along the same lines as Andrew Kramer with videocopliot. He shows you how to make some really cool stuff, and you pick up techniques along the way.

6. steego

steego

7. ivanzu

ivanzu

8. RoyS

RoyS

9. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

I would have to agree. The only issue is if you are new to blender you would probably want to begin to learn 2.5 and up which that tutorial is something like 2.49 or something like that.

Something to think about however is the same guy that made that tutorial is making a whole series of tutorials for low-poly modeling and then how to get that into blender for about $35 or so.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/07/26/announcement-pre-orders-for-new-low-poly-character-training-series/

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  10. TehWut

TehWut

I dunno some days with Blender 2.5 (no prior knowledge in 3d ANYTHING)

11. WedgeBob

WedgeBob

After a few weeks of training from Zak and the gang at 3D Buzz, it seems like I got the hang of the modeling part down pat, but I don't think they've lived up to their promise in terms of teaching UV mapping and texturing inside Blender yet. This was where training in Carrara 8.1 Pro from Infinite Skills, and using that program came into play. To be fair, I kind of like the dual use of both Blender and Carrara to get the modeling job done. They do play fairly nice together.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  12. rokstar234

rokstar234

1 year of practice to start making high detailed models efficiently( for me, so dont go off at me if you did it in a week or something), using blender since i was 12 , im now 16.

13. Ender

Ender

With Starcraft II installed.. it took a lot longer than it should've.

14. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

i eventually gave up on blender and went to cheetah3d, it was a lot simpler for me and works great

15. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I could eventually make decent models, but my brother and I both found Blender very non-intuitive and frustrating to use. We probably used it for about 6 months.

publiweb likes this.
  16. WedgeBob

WedgeBob

To be fair, even tho I have liked Blender, ever since I went all out on DAZ 3D's software, I've been using Hexagon 2.5, that seems to be far easier to use, then I take the models from Hexagon, then I bring them into either Carrara 8 Pro for detailed modeling, as well as laying out UVs,then export as a static FBX file, or I bring them right into DAZ Studio 4 Pro, and I then deal with FBX exports, rigging, and animation from that.

17. tfeldt

tfeldt

4 years on and I still get lost on occasion. Not blender's fault though, I'm just hopeless at 3D. I do get by, but it probably takes me five times what it takes a competent modeler.

18. Kalmak

Kalmak

Interesting. I liked Hexagon when I played with it. How has this worked out for you? Have you gotten good results into Unity using this process?

19. WedgeBob

WedgeBob

Like I said, I start my model in Hexagon, then I export it out to Carrara 8 Pro, then that's where I detail the model, bake the UV textures, then have it exported out to FBX to bring into Unity from there...otherwise, if I needed to animate and rig it up, I would take that model into DAZ Studio 4 Pro, make a quick animation bake, then export to FBX from DS4, then bring the animated sequence into Unity.

How has this worked out? Well, it's definitely far easier using multiple tools that actually integrate into each other to achieve a result without all the headache that Blender gave me. When I add Zbrush into the mix in another week or two from now, it's only gonna get better. You wait and see.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  20. Kalmak

Kalmak

Thanks for the info WedgeBob. Now so I don't hijack the thread, I've made three attempts to learn Blender and have become relatively good with it, but I still prefer to use other programs for most things. Even as improved as the interface is, it still feels clunky to me when I compare it to other programs.

21. CyrusGordonW

CyrusGordonW

I started blender when I was about 12. I'm still learning it at nearly 16, but I can create fairly decent models and animations and I have a grasp of fabric and fluid simultion and baking.

22. TehWut

TehWut

Blender is one of those programs that you can never really fully learn, but you can get productive in one aspect or another.

23. Duskling

Duskling

Same here but with previous knowledge of maya.

I still don't know how to do UV's that well though :L

24. ivanzu

ivanzu

its easier then in most of the autodesk programs.

25. a n00b programmer

a n00b programmer

learned blender? Define learned. If you mean interface, about 6 months of inactive modeling. If you mean full understand blender: Still going.

26. charumaliikk

charumaliikk

Which tutorial did you end up using? I've just started learning it myself.

I ended up using this community curated list on hackr. Can you check if it is any good?https://hackr.io/tutorials/learn-blender

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  27. SnowInChina

SnowInChina

learning blender itself isn't that hard, if you sit down and go through some tutorials, you should be efficient in a month or so
    learning how to create good 3d models (i mean, technically good models, not design wise) is an entirely different task though
    this will take you at least a year to understand it to a certain degree

28. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

I learned blender, in less than a year.
    It was a fun journey.

29. publiweb

publiweb

I highly recommend to use industry standard software like 3ds max or maya lt, try both because they're more compatible with Unity game engine (even using old versions of the software).

Blender is good & fast for asset creation but it doesn't makes me feel comfortable with it graphical interface or it way to use too much hotkeys & "tricks".

Software is just a tool that helps you to finish the job, but you should decide if you are going to use a rock to put a nail or use a hammer.

Dont' buy them if you can't try them first (trial software)

30. vinaysingh0399

vinaysingh0399

It is highly recommended that you start from somewhere because Someone can't judge your learning speed or skills.

So start with some of the popular tutorials that are available over web or you can even start with the official documentaion.

31. halley

halley

Been using it for fifteen years or so... still learning it. That said, you can get the basics really quickly with the quality tutorials out there. Just don't look at anything pre-3.0 at this stage, as things evolve.