Search Unity

How good Unity 5 is in 2D development?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamius19, Mar 30, 2015.

?

Is Unity 5 good at 2D development?

1. Great

81.5%
  2. Moderate

18.5%
  3. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

Unreal is more likely used for highly pollished games. Unity is used for performance, Fast development, Simple Interface, Effecient Development, And by people who dont have the power to run other engines. I have used unreal on my bro's laptop and it was like a nightmare for me when I looked at it user interface. And I seriously wont like to pay 5% of my profit from my whole game. I would likely pay for buying at once. And in Unity 5 almost all features are avaliable for free except Cloud Services (which of course need funds to keep running). And unity has a much better comunity much more people and much more assets. And Unreal is only most likely made for games with extra features like player start, main starting templates which cannot give you as much freedom as unity gives you. Unity is much highly flexible. It dosent require any real feature that can be a problem sometimes and it is also compeletly blank. You can make anything you want from Games to non games to animated movies, in a much easy way than any other engine. Unreal also do not support as flexible and easy editor extension as unity does making it one of the biggest disadvantage. And if you see unity has improved a lot in graphics. I bet in next 1 or 2 versions of we will be able to directly compare graphical power of Unreal and Unity Direclty. Unity also gives much more platforms to publish.
    But as Mentioned in Andy's Post Ultimately it depends on the user and the community.

jamius19 likes this.
  2. jamius19

jamius19

Nope......
    Dont take me wrongly....
    I certainly have love for Unity, otherwise I wouldn't bother asking about Unity, right? ;)

Its just I wanna know.....
    Nothing else about compare.....

3. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

The thing is nobody can answer this kind of question for you. What works for me and what I prefer may be something you see as a nightmare and vice-versa. That is why Andy said just try them out and compare. That way you will know firsthand which works best for YOU.

Ryiah likes this.
  4. jamius19

jamius19

thanks for the advice

5. protopop

protopop

No this will be my first 2d game:)

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

By now you could have just downloaded the engine and completed a basic flappy clone.

Unity is great for 2D games. Pond Wars in my signature is a great example of what a hobbyist can do in evenings in a month.

Kongregate is actually a good place to see Unity's capacity, both good and bad, as all Unity produced games are labelled as such.

jamius19 likes this.
  7. dbiapett

dbiapett

You can try scratch and come back to unity crying it was bot good. If you have 600$ and you dont need any physics engine you can use Flash and waste your money.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  8. RichardKain

RichardKain

To be fair, it's been possible to do Flash-esque development for some time without using the Flash IDE proper. I was doing that back in 2007. And thanks to OpenFL, you can develop for cross-platform parity, and still export to Flash if you are so inclined. (though exporting to HTML5 is more in vogue these days) There are plenty of low-cost alternatives to Unity these days, and many of them are quite capable. I did a lot of development in Flixel back in the day and had a great time with it.

I stick with Unity for the time being because of the flexibility, the copious amounts of documentation, the active community, and because of the tools. I just seem to love making tools, and Unity's environment is great for putting together your own custom tools. Being able to jury-rig my own custom inspectors for scripts is just a delight.

jamius19 likes this.
  9. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

why did you copied my post :(

10. Hades II

Hades II

I think its good...but it would be even better if it had tilemap support