Search Unity

How do you work with "crash dumps" outputs?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by asperatology, Feb 12, 2016.

1. asperatology

asperatology

I had made Unity crash on demand by activating a series of build compilation errors, by compiling it as a standalone build, and force it to crash, in order to create a crash dump. Attached is one example of a crash-on-demand dump.

Whenever players are encountering crash dumps, which would look like text files with stack traces and memory dumps, what do you do with them?

How do game developers work with "crash.dmp", "error.log", and "output_log.txt" that was saved after a Unity build crash? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. gorbit99

gorbit99

They usually create an interface with a bug/crash reporter where you can submit your crash. Another option is to automatically send it to somewhere, but it will just generate a bunch of spam and even crash reports, that are caused by something that's not your fault (mods, hack, video card problem) will come in too.

3. asperatology

asperatology

And what happens after they submit the crash dumps to you? What do you, as a game developer, do about the crash dumps submitted to you?

Do you just hand them off to Unity3d Technologies, if you don't know what to do with it?

4. gorbit99

gorbit99

Take minecraft's bug reporter as an example, they submit a bug/crash, they vote on the most irritating ones, and the developers look through them. If it has nothing to do with your project, you send it to unity.

5. asperatology

asperatology

Okay, that solves the delegation question. I should send my crash dumps to Unity Ads Analytics then.

So, my next question is, how do a developer "read" the crash dumps?

6. gorbit99

gorbit99

Not exactly, if it's something, that you did wrong (eg. x = player.transform.position.x; y = 100 / x, will return a divisionByZero exception if you don't handle it). If it isn't, you should send it to unity. It is more likely, that the 1. one will appear.
    "Reading" the crash dump is relatively easy, just download visual studio community and it will open it. For example, the dump you uploaded:
    Proccess name: t.exe
    Error: The thread tried to read from a file with inappropiate access (made it a bit shorter, I'm not going to type in the exact thing)

7. asperatology

asperatology

Didn't realize it's that easy. And I thought you have to learn how to read the memory values.

8. HapaX_

HapaX_

Visual Studio should have a built in DUMP viewer so use that to view it.
    Unless you have MAC or Linux then you wont be able to install it.