Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you run a beta test program for Mac apps and what do you use to distribute the beta builds?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by TokyoDan, Sep 30, 2014.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I've been using Testflight to distribute iOS betas to testers. How do you run a beta test program for Mac apps and what do you use to distribute the beta builds to your testers? (I know Hockeyapp handles OSX. and although there's a lot of info for testing Unity-built iOS apps, I didn't see much info for Unity-built Mac apps).

2. orb

orb

You don't need anything special to install and run OS X apps, so just bundle them in a disk image and distribute from a website. If you want automatic posting of crash logs it's going to be trickier, since you first need Pro and then need to integrate something that detects when the previous run crashed. HockeyApp simply uses https://www.plcrashreporter.org for its logging, so if you integrate that framework you should be able to get the same functionality.

But at the simplest level you don't really need such external services at all if you can find the location of the crash logs for your app. The existence of any could trigger an in-game reporter for convenience. Or perhaps you could bundle a simple reporting tool that simply quits if no new logs are found, and launch that on launching the game. I made a simple anonymous feedback tool and its web API in under an hour with the help of something like PLCrashReporter.

If you want as little work as possible, just set up an issue tracker and let users post when something goes wrong :)

3. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

@orb The thing is the HockeyApp websiet shows how to setup HockeyApp and it involves adding/changing things with Xcode in the Mac app project. but Unity doesn't use or create an Xcode project when building a Mac app.

4. orb

orb

No, it doesn't. But the plugins you have to make for integration do ;)