Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you make 3D polygon art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Denisowator, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Denisowator

Denisowator

Basically I want to know hwo you would model something (like a dog) in the polygon art style. How would you be able to keep the shape correct? Since the polygons will just snap onto the model and there's not gonna be much smoothing possible. Do you just get into it after you have enough skill in obversing things so that you can easily copy them as a model? Or would you somehow make the model and then decrease the polygon count while making some corrections if the low poly-count messes up the model?

I'm not very intrested in making poly-art stlye games, but I'm just really curious as to how it is done.

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Pretty much every modeller I've seen starts with primitives to outline the general shape of the model. Seems to me like you just stop there.

Sure there is a lot more to it then this, but the basics are pretty simple. Just make something with Lego.

Denisowator likes this.
  3. Eric-Darkomen

Eric-Darkomen

About a bazillion ways. Usually you would start with a reference drawing or photo, block it out as Mormon said and from there you've nothing but options.

You could model something low poly using polygon modelling techniques throughout. You could build it out of splines and keep smoothing to a minimum. You could make or buy a high poly model and reduce the polycount down and clean the topology. Commonly you'd do some combination, if you have the tools, why not use them :p . Its kinda like asking what you do to draw a picture - the implements and techniques that are used depends on the individual/organisation I think.

Even things that have hard poly shapes tend to be rounded at the edges otherwise you tend to get either edges that are waaaay too hard or even get jagged/pixelated edges that basically just look rubbish.

Denisowator likes this.
  4. goat

goat

In Blender - just turn off subdivision if you want to exactly control it yourself when modeling as you can do a subdivision-smooth model in Blender and use 3rd party SW to create the polygon look you are likely after.

You could such a low polygon model as your visual model at the get go in Blender rather than a deference drawing that was more smoothly drawn or a photo.

Denisowator likes this.
  5. delinx32

delinx32

There is a YouTube user named pigart. Watch his vids to get an idea. They are enlightening.

BrandyStarbrite and Denisowator like this.
  6. Denisowator

Denisowator

Thanks guys. :)

7. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

1) I block out from cube with edge loops and extrudes.
    2) Orbit around and adjust vertices to get a nice silhouette.
    3) Add little more detail with edge loops and adjust vertices to silhouette.
    4) Repeat step 3 till happy.

Most important is I always look at silhouette.

goat likes this.
  8. goat

goat

Very consise. OP will appreciate once they learn modeling.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. RichardKain

RichardKain

It depends on what we are talking about. The "polygon" art-style is what many artists just refer to as low-poly art. The procedure for making it is largely identical to high-poly art, you simply aren't working with as many triangles.

The challenge of low-poly art is getting it to look appealing within the constraints of your polygon budget. This is where most of the craft comes into play. The first priority is in defining a strong outline. The silhouette of your model is going to be even more important when dealing with low-poly art. You need to craft your model to make the silhouette as detailed as possible while concealing the more obvious polygon edges.

Texturing is also much more important to low-poly art. A low-poly model with some really great and effective texturing can look even better than much higher-polycount models.

Eric-Darkomen likes this.